Sibelius v1.4 for Windows
Looking for Sibelius for Mac? Click here.
Improvements and changes
It's important that you read the description of the changes in Sibelius v1.4: to view them, click here.
If you have problems downloading files from this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have problems updating Sibelius to v1.4, please contact technical help rather than the webmaster.
SCORE file converter
A SCORE file converter for use with Sibelius v1.4 is available as a separate download.
Updating to version 1.4
Do not update Sibelius when you're in the middle of an urgent piece of work: there shouldn't be any problems updating, but don't tempt fate.
IMPORTANT: If you are using a network site license version of Sibelius, you must not use this updater to upgrade your copies of Sibelius to version 1.4. To upgrade, please contact technical help.
Please follow these instructions carefully.
- Sibelius version 1.4 has a new license agreement (41K, PDF format, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader version 4.0), which supercedes all previous license agreements in your User Guide and previous Sibelius versions. Updating to version 1.4 indicates acceptance of the new license agreement.
- Exit any programs which are running, including Sibelius (click Exit in the File menu).
- Don't uninstall Sibelius - just leave it as it is.
any to v1.4 (7MB)
any to v1.4 (7MB)
- You will be asked whether or not to save it to disk: choose to save it on your Desktop. When the update has downloaded, disable any Virus Checking software (refer to its software manual for instructions).
- Next, double-click the downloaded file, called, for example, EnglishAnyTo1_4.exe, on your Desktop, and follow the instructions onscreen.
- When you are asked if you want to make a backup of various things such as manuscript paper files, you only need to click Yes if you know that you have changed any of these files or created new ones.
- You will be prompted to restart your computer to complete the update. You must do this before using Sibelius - so click Yes to restart your computer.
- When your computer has restarted, run Sibelius to check that it is working. The splash screen will display 'version 1.4'. Sibelius has been updated successfully!
- You do not need to re-register Sibelius.
Updating Scorch to Scorch 2
If you've installed the Scorch web browser plug-in, you need to update it to the new version (called Scorch 2) so that it can view Sibelius v1.4 scores. Scorch 2 also includes many new features, such as:
- Click on the music to start playing at any point
- Playback uses the same keyboard shortcuts as Sibelius (Esc/P/[/])
- Allows secure printing of online sheet music created with Sibelius Internet Edition or on scorchmusic.com
Some users have experienced crashes when performing certain operations in Sibelius (such as dragging a slur with the mouse, exiting the House Style dialog box, or using Ctrl+X/Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V to copy and paste). This is due to a bug in various printer drivers - for more information on these crashes, see the Help Center.
To fix these crashes, please download and install this plug-in, as follows:
- Quit Sibelius if it is running
- Click here to download the file (53Kb); choose to save it to your Desktop
- When the file has downloaded, double-click its icon
- A small dialog box will appear. Note that it will tell you where it is going to extract the archive: the location should be the Plugins folder within your Sibelius program folder (the default location, C:\Program Files\Sibelius Software\Sibelius\Plugins, will be correct unless you explicitly gave Sibelius a different install location when you first installed it)
- Click Unzip
- You can now run Sibelius again.
In the unlikely event that you still experience crashes in Sibelius after installing this plug-in, please contact technical help.
This page last updated 5 November 2001