Messages in this thread

Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 27 Apr 01:11AM
     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Terry Dwyer, 27 Apr 08:32AM
         Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Bob Zawalich, 27 Apr 03:29PM
             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 27 Apr 10:44PM
                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Bob Zawalich, 28 Apr 08:39PM
                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 28 Apr 11:00PM
                         Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Ingrid, 01 May 01:33PM
                             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Peter Roos, 01 May 09:28PM
                                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 01 May 11:17PM
                                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Robin Walker, 01 May 11:30PM
                                         Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 01 May 11:54PM
                                             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Robin Walker, 02 May 12:29AM
                             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 02 May 01:11AM
                                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Robin Walker, 02 May 04:23AM
                                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 02 May 05:49AM
                                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Ingrid, 02 May 01:53PM
                                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 03 May 05:31AM

Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation
Posted by Hu Haipeng - 27 Apr 01:11AM
Hello,
I have been running into this serious problem since I purchased the 2018 version of Sibelius. Since Sib's internal musicxml export has many holes, I usually use Dolet to export musicxml for braille transcription. In 2018.x version, when dealing with longer scores, even a 5-minute orchestral work, a 8gb computer can't complete this simple task. Sibelius eats up my RAM rapidly when running Dolet, and only after 20 seconds 99% of my RAM has been used, and after a while the computer becomes very unresponsive and Sibelius crashes with a message that it has no enough RAM to handle. In my 32GB audio computer, a 12-minute orchestral work also has this problem, so in my opinion, I have to bought a computer which has hundreds gb of RAM to run Dolet with the latest version of Sibelius. I asked Michael Good, and he confirmed that this is definitely the problem of Sibelius, not Dolet. So I have to install a cracked 8.2 on my audio computer, andI feel sorry with this situation. Hope Sibelius team can solve this problem in the future.

Regards
Haipeng

--
A Chinese blind musician, founder of BrailleOrch and Open Braille Music Project.
Windows 10 Pro and Pro for workstation
Sibelius 2018.1, Finale 25.5, Dolet plugins, Noteperformer
Sonar 8.5.3, Reaper, Vienna Symphonic Library Super Package and many other libraries

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation
Posted by Terry Dwyer - 27 Apr 08:32AM
Warm greetings, Haipeng. I hope you find a solution.

Terry

--
Sib 6.2 NotePerformer 27-in iMac Retina, Sierra, 16 Gig RAM

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 27 Apr 03:29PM
I can confirm that running Dolet on a large orchestral score fails for me in 2018.1, while it worked (if somewhat slowly) in 7.5.

It runs, then seems to hang, then puts up a blank message, and other applications fails suggesting no memory is available.

I don't have an installed version between 7.5 and 2018.1 to try to see if there was a point where this began.

Maybe memory is not being released in plugins? I will try some other plugins when I have a chance and see if I can find any patterns.

I will however, not be installing a cracked version...Can Haipeng be given access to a previous real Sib version?

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2018.
For plugin lookup and categories see https://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Posted by Hu Haipeng - 27 Apr 10:44PM (edited 27 Apr 10:51PM)
Hello Bob,
I use Where tThere Is plugin for 2018 on various big files, and it exports statistic file without any problem, although some large scores may take up to 3-5 minutes to finish the writing. So I suspect the dolet plugin uses a thing that causes the recent Sibelius hanging. I can only try 8.2, and any versions before 8.2 was run as a crack at past, and exported musicxml without any problem. So this is definitely the problem of the latest Sibelius.
BTW, can the earlier versions of Sib activate successfully if I use my account information? I just converted to a legal user this year, so I have not any previous purchased versions.

Haipeng

--
A Chinese blind musician, founder of BrailleOrch and Open Braille Music Project. Website:
http://www.brailleorch.org

Sonar 8.5.3, Reaper, Vienna Symphonic Library Super Package and many other libraries

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 28 Apr 08:39PM (edited 28 Apr 08:40PM)
Robin walker has confirmed this problem as well (at least for the Dolet plugin on a large score), and says that this behavior first appeared in 2018.1.

I have still not seen failure of this type with any other plugin, even on a large score.

I don't know what the official rules are for getting access to an earlier version if you never owned it, but it would seem to me reasonable to ask for an earlier Sib 8 version if the current one is unworkable.

Ingrid - you out there? Any opinions on this?

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2018.
For plugin lookup and categories see https://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Posted by Hu Haipeng - 28 Apr 11:00PM
It may be good if I can install a legal Sibelius 8.6 on my music computer to make xml export.

Haipeng

--
A Chinese blind musician, founder of BrailleOrch and Open Braille Music Project. Website:

Posted by Ingrid - 01 May 01:33PM
Hi!

>> I don't know what the official rules are for getting access to an earlier version if you never owned it, but it would seem to me reasonable to ask for an earlier Sib 8 version if the current one is unworkable.

Ingrid - you out there? Any opinions on this?

>> It may be good if I can install a legal Sibelius 8.6 on my music computer to make xml export.

> We could send the previous versions installers to customers who have purchased Sibelius... legally. But you'd have to uninstall the updated version of Sibelius (2018.x) since it uses the same set of activation codes.

Best,
Ingrid | Sibelius Support

Posted by Peter Roos - 01 May 09:28PM
Before you install a previous version of 8, you might want to see if you have 7.5 in your Avid account (I do, see screenshot below, and I have it installed separately although these days I only use Sibelius 8).

--
Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com
IMDb: www.imdb.com/name/nm2039241
Attachment Capture44.PNG.png (14K)

Posted by Hu Haipeng - 01 May 11:17PM
I don't have 7.5, because I just bought Sib this year. I'd like to get a 8.4 or 8.6 to install.

Haipeng

--

Posted by Robin Walker - 01 May 11:30PM
To be able to read files saved from 2018.x, and to avoid some old bugs, you really should not go back much further than 8.7.x. Certainly, 8.4 will not be able to read anything you have edited in 2018.x.

--
Sibelius 2018.4/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Hu Haipeng - 01 May 11:54PM
If 8.7 is ok, I'll certainly want it. But where can i个体IT?

Haipeng

--

Posted by Robin Walker - 02 May 12:29AM
> If 8.7 is ok, I'll certainly want it. But where can i个体IT?

I suggest that you reply to Ingrid (above).

--
Sibelius 2018.4/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Hu Haipeng - 02 May 01:11AM
So Ingrid, could you please provide me the 8.7 version?

> Hi!
>
>
> >> I don't know what the official rules are for getting access to an earlier version if you never owned it, but it would seem to me reasonable to ask for an earlier Sib 8 version if the current one is unworkable.
>
> Ingrid - you out there? Any opinions on this?
>
> >> It may be good if I can install a legal Sibelius 8.6 on my music computer to make xml export.
>
> > We could send the previous versions installers to customers who have purchased Sibelius... legally. But you'd have to uninstall the updated version of Sibelius (2018.x) since it uses the same set of activation codes.
>
>
> Best,
> Ingrid | Sibelius Support
>

--

Posted by Robin Walker - 02 May 04:23AM
Off topic: Hu Haipeng, for interest, what features do you find to be lacking in the native Sibelius MusicXML export, that are supported in the Dolet MusicXML export?

--

Posted by Hu Haipeng - 02 May 05:49AM
Ok. The features lack in native xml export are:
1. In the very recent versions (perhaps 8.6 or 2018), tempo with texts are often not exported, and this is stated in Sibelius' update announcement;
2. Many special symbols, especially customized ones, are not exported with a single notice. Dolet knows them, and exports those can't be recognized and defined in xml as an unknow symbol or line or text, and I can search for them to take them back in braille transcription.
3. If there are multiple staves in one part, unexported slur layers are not announced in native export. Musicxml only contains 6 layers, and multistaff part exceeding this limit will have slurs missing, while Dolet can tell me where the slurs are missing, and I can delete those already exported to see other slurs.
One feature native export is better is hand changes in piano music, because the stemweight function of Manuscript language doesn't work well in Dolet.

Haipeng

> Off topic: Hu Haipeng, for interest, what features do you find to be lacking in the native Sibelius MusicXML export, that are supported in the Dolet MusicXML export?
>
> --
> Sibelius 2018.4/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

--

Posted by Ingrid - 02 May 01:53PM
Hi @Hu Haipeng!

Created a case for you: 03463250 Sent the installers via e-mail.

Best,
Ingrid
Avid Customer Support

Posted by Hu Haipeng - 03 May 05:31AM
Thank you very much, and I have downloaded the 8.7.2 version. Will install and use it later.

Haipeng

--

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 27 Apr 01:11AM
     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Terry Dwyer, 27 Apr 08:32AM
         Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Bob Zawalich, 27 Apr 03:29PM
             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 27 Apr 10:44PM
                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Bob Zawalich, 28 Apr 08:39PM
                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 28 Apr 11:00PM
                         Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Ingrid, 01 May 01:33PM
                             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Peter Roos, 01 May 09:28PM
                                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 01 May 11:17PM
                                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Robin Walker, 01 May 11:30PM
                                         Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 01 May 11:54PM
                                             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Robin Walker, 02 May 12:29AM
                             Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 02 May 01:11AM
                                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Robin Walker, 02 May 04:23AM
                                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 02 May 05:49AM
                                 Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Ingrid, 02 May 01:53PM
                                     Re: Sibelius 2018.x: Serious bug of RAM occupation - Hu Haipeng, 03 May 05:31AM