- Music: Over 160 Improvements Now Available Free to Sibelius 7.5 Customers with Latest Update
- Music: Learn Why Composers and Arrangers Choose Avid Sibelius 7.5
- Music: Notation Software Compared—MakeMusic Finale vs. Avid Sibelius
- Music: Behind the Scenes with the Alabama Symphony Orchestra
- Behind the Scenes with Rick Smith from Underworld
- NAB 2014: Proven and Trusted Audio, Video, and Live Sound Creative Tools Await in the Artist Suite
- NAB 2014: Avid Everywhere—Delivering on Our Vision for the Media Industry
- Avid Connect: Shaping Up to Become the Media Event of the Year
- Musikmesse 2014: Step Inside Our Booth at Messe 2014 (Photos)
- Musikmesse 2014: Avid Main Stage Demonstration Schedule
Sibelius scores UK chart No.1
London, UK, 20 August 2007 – Music notation software Sibelius has been instrumental in creating the recent UK No.1 hit With Every Heartbeat by Swedish dance-pop sensation Robyn, which knocked Rihanna’s Umbrella off the top spot.
This mellow house music record is notable for its lush strings that underpin the entire track. Responsible for penning these viola, violin and cello parts was 26-year-old graduate of Stockholm’s Royal College of Music and avid Sibelius user Carl Bagge. Carl picks up the story:
“I was at high school with Andreas Kleerup, who co-wrote and produced the track. We both studied jazz and used to play gigs together in Stockholm’s jazz clubs – mainly as a way of getting in because we were both too young!”
“Then there was a long period when we didn’t work together – I worked mainly as a piano player and we appeared in different fields. During this time I learned Sibelius – I’m actually kind of lazy when it comes to learning new things but I had no problem figuring out Sibelius quickly. One day Andreas approached me because he needed strings on one of his compositions. Since then we have worked together on a number of interesting projects, like transforming Bloc Party songs to string quartet and drum machine for a show during the Fashion Week in Stockholm.”
With Every Heartbeat is the latest of those collaborations. The song was A-Listed on BBC Radio 1 and named as "Record of the Week" by Radio 1 DJs Jo Whiley and Scott Mills. It is the biggest hit to date for Robyn, becoming her first number one, second top ten and fourth top forty hit of her career.
Carl explains how he came to be involved with the track: “I met Andreas and Robyn in his living room where he works, Robyn sketched out the melody, I got a CD and went home to work. They had some basic thoughts on how the strings could sound, but gave me free reign to compose and arrange exactly what I thought would work best. We recorded the string quartet ourselves with Andreas’s Mac and a stereo mic and Andreas mixed it!”
Aside from a simple house music beat and synth bassline, the strings are what gives the track its distinctive ethereal feel that complements Robyn’s distinctive vocal.
“It’s great to see With Every Heartbeat reaching number one!” says Carl. “I am really inspired by Robyn’s vocals and the song itself, so it was a real fun job!”
- Sibelius is the world’s market leader in music notation software.
- Sibelius was founded in 1993 to sell music notation software for initially the Acorn computer and was released for Windows and Mac in 1998/99.
- Since then the Sibelius Group has developed 20 additional music products for the professional, educational and home user, ranging from Internet publishing to guitar software.
- Sibelius has customers in over 100 countries.
- Sibelius is used in 60% of schools in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
- Sibelius is endorsed by the Royal Academy of Music and is used by all the major music academies and colleges: the Royal College of Music, Trinity College of Music, Oxford and Cambridge Universities, the Juilliard School, Berklee School of Music, the Sibelius Academy in Finland, the Royal College of Music in Stockholm.
- The world’s leading music publishers including Music Sales, Hal Leonard and Yamaha use Sibelius.
- In 2005, Sibelius was awarded a prestigious Queen’s Award for Innovation.
- Sibelius was recently acquired by Avid Technology Inc the worldwide leaders in digital media editing and creation solutions. Sibelius is part of of Avid’s Audio division which also includes Digidesign, producers of Pro Tools, and M-Audio.
Sibelius is headquartered in London, UK, with offices in San Francisco, Adelaide and Tokyo.