Messages in this thread

Font boldness issue - bcheeseman, 18 Sep 10:40PM
     Re: Font boldness issue - Robin Walker, 19 Sep 08:36AM
         Re: Font boldness issue - Robin Walker, 19 Sep 10:52AM
             Re: Font boldness issue - bcheeseman, 19 Sep 03:04PM

Font boldness issue
Posted by bcheeseman - 18 Sep 10:40PM (edited 19 Sep 03:08PM)
I recently upgraded to 2021.x (on macOS 11.6) after using 7.5 for forever (on macOS 10.11) and am having a really strange issue regarding the weight of a specific font.

In 7.5 / El Capitan, the font weight registers properly: normal is normal, bold is bold, (and a heavier weight, "black", registers properly if used).

In 2021.x / Big Sur, the bold is basically read as a medium weight, even with only regular & bold installed. If "black" is installed as a font weight, Sibelius treats "bold" as "black" and vice versa (which affects text styles that can only be regular or bold).

It only seems to be this one font (Brandon Grotesque), which I have uninstalled and installed (the entire font group as well as individual weights), and it's only in Sibelius so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this properly but I hope the attached screenshot helps a bit (top example is 2021.x on Big Sur)!

tl;dr: Sibelius isn't properly registering the boldness of a specific font, and even mixing up the font weights depending on which ones are active on the Mac. Help!
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 3.32.29 PM.png (135K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Font boldness issue
Posted by Robin Walker - 19 Sep 08:36AM
Big Sur changed the way in which macOS recognises the boldness of a font. It no longer uses font names so much as a "weight" parameter coded within the font file. It is possible that the one font that you are having trouble with does not use the canonical weight classifications.

--
Sibelius 2021.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 2020.1, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Robin Walker - 19 Sep 10:52AM
I have managed to locate a few of the fonts in the Brandon Grotesque family, but the full set is too expensive to acquire just for answering a question here.
Of the few I have analysed, the value of field "usWeightClass" in table "OS/2" is invalid, and this will give rise to all sorts of problems in using this font family under macOS Big Sur or higher.
Accordingly, I think that the font "Brandon Grotesque" is not suitable for use with Sibelius under Big Sur or higher.

--
Sibelius 2021.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 2020.1, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by bcheeseman - 19 Sep 03:04PM
Thanks for the insight! Time to update the house style, I suppose.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Font boldness issue - bcheeseman, 18 Sep 10:40PM
     Re: Font boldness issue - Robin Walker, 19 Sep 08:36AM
         Re: Font boldness issue - Robin Walker, 19 Sep 10:52AM
             Re: Font boldness issue - bcheeseman, 19 Sep 03:04PM