'No other sounds when Sibelius is running (Sib 8.4.2)'

Messages in this thread

No other sounds when Sibelius is running (Sib 8... - Per Anders Wicklund, 04 Mar 09:31PM
     Re: No other sounds when Sibelius is running (S... - Andy G, 04 Mar 09:37PM
     Re: No other sounds when Sibelius is running (S... - Robin Walker, 04 Mar 09:40PM
         Re: No other sounds when Sibelius is running (S... - Per Anders Wicklund, 05 Mar 12:30AM

No other sounds when Sibelius is running (Sib 8.4.2)
Posted by Per Anders Wicklund - 04 Mar 09:31PM (edited 04 Mar 09:34PM)
Dear all,

I just had to do a full install of my PC, including Sibelius, and all in all, using a lot of time, all seems to have been re-installed nicely.

However, one strange glitch remains to resolve:
When I have Sibelius open in the background - no other sounds will play - for example, I can't get any sound when I open a sound file (mp3, wav, etc) in e.g. Windows Media Player, Adobe Audition, etc.
If I shut down Sibelius entirely, the files do play back without problems.

I have a memory of this happening on my old computer eons of years ago, but I can't recall what I did to get the problem resolved - so all worked well before the re-install (I re-installed the same version of Sibelius as I have been running for a while - 8.4.2).

Anyone out there with any suggestions?

Thanks,
Per Anders

Back to top | All threads

Re: No other sounds when Sibelius is running (Sib 8.4.2)
Posted by Andy G - 04 Mar 09:37PM
This is more to do with your computer's sound system than Sibelius. Sibelius (or another music app) will take control of your computer's audio and the other apps won't be able to use it at the same time. There is a setting that should let the other apps use the audio system when Sibelius is in the background.

--
PC: Q6700@3.2GHz,4GB RAM.Win 7. M-Audio 2496 + Terratec DMX6Fire USB. Sib 6.2 and 7.1.3. Web: www.andrew-gilbert.com

Posted by Robin Walker - 04 Mar 09:40PM
This is completely to be expected, and by design, if you have chosen for Sibelius an audio interface which is of type ASIO or WASAPI. In this way, Sibelius gets full control of the audio device and can produce audio output with the lowest possible latency.

You can mitigate the issue with other applications if, in "Audio Engine Options", you check the box "Release device when Sibelius is in the background".

If you do not want this to happen at all, then choose an "Interface" of type "DS" to the desired physical device.

--
Sibelius 2018.1/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Per Anders Wicklund - 05 Mar 12:30AM (edited 05 Mar 12:31AM)
Thank you Robin and Andy - it must have been that "Release device..." option. Sound works the way it used to prior to re-installing, once I got that option set.
/Per Anders

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

No other sounds when Sibelius is running (Sib 8... - Per Anders Wicklund, 04 Mar 09:31PM
     Re: No other sounds when Sibelius is running (S... - Andy G, 04 Mar 09:37PM
     Re: No other sounds when Sibelius is running (S... - Robin Walker, 04 Mar 09:40PM
         Re: No other sounds when Sibelius is running (S... - Per Anders Wicklund, 05 Mar 12:30AM