'Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused!'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Tombo, 28 Feb 06:59PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Ingrid, 28 Feb 07:27PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Tombo, 28 Feb 08:46PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 07:29PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Tombo, 28 Feb 08:47PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Mike Lyons, 28 Feb 08:54PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 09:02PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Ingrid, 28 Feb 09:24PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Peter Roos, 02 Mar 02:39AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Mike Lyons, 02 Mar 06:37AM

Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused!
Posted by Tombo - 28 Feb 06:59PM
I have version 7.5. I think I need to upgrade because I want to convert my songs to MP3 files but version 7.5 won't do that. So I'm looking at my options and the website offers "Sibelius Upgrade with 1 year of Upgrades and Support." I can figure out what "Support" means, but what does "1 year of upgrades" mean? Does it mean that if Sibelius comes up with a new upgrade next month I'll get it for free?

Also, if I upgrade, does it affect the music I've already created on the old version? Will it suddenly have a different look? Will is shift things around, causing problems?

Is there a document I can read that will explain upgrades?

Thank you!

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused!
Posted by Ingrid - 28 Feb 07:27PM (edited 28 Feb 07:31PM)
Hi,

Here is a link for details on how to upgrade from Sibelius 1-7.5:
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&sku=SBDYNA1004&isCSRFlow=true&cclcl=en_US

Upgrade to Sibelius 8
http://www.avid.com/campaigns/sibelius-8-upgrade
Please check "Sibelius 1–7.5 standard version"

Support is usually for those who require phone assistance with their software. It comes with the subscription plan you've chosen. Others who don't have this will have to purchase a support code for assistance. If you availed (for example) a one-year subscription plan, you would have access to latest software updates for a whole year. Once your plan runs out, these updates will stop coming in to your My Avid Account as you need to renew in order to get access to latest updates and support.

The upgrade from Sibelius 7.5 (or any Sibelius legacy version: Sibelius 1-7.5) comes as a Perpetual License meaning you get to keep the software with or without subscribing to any subscription plan.

Upgrading won't affect your composition when you open it on the latest version.

Best,
Ingrid | Sibelius Support

Posted by Tombo - 28 Feb 08:46PM
You really cleared things up! Thank you very much!
tom

Posted by Laurence Payne - 28 Feb 07:29PM
As advised elsewhere, if ALL you lack is the ability to Export a MP3, an upgrade is a very expensive option. 7.5 will export a WAV. It's trivially easy to convert this to a MP3 in an external program.

Posted by Tombo - 28 Feb 08:47PM
That really helps. I will investigate and experiment. Many thanks!
tom

Posted by Mike Lyons - 28 Feb 08:54PM
Actually, the layout algorhythms of Sib 8/2018 and Sib 7.x are different. I notice quite a few changes (mostly for the better, it must be said) when I load an older version into sib 2018.1

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Posted by Laurence Payne - 28 Feb 09:02PM
"Upgrading won't affect your composition when you open it on the latest version."

I don't think that's QUITE true. The music will still be there, but some minor layout details may change.

Posted by Ingrid - 28 Feb 09:24PM
Sorry! Thanks for the clarification.

Best,
Ingrid | Sibelius Support

Posted by Peter Roos - 02 Mar 02:39AM
What Laurence said ... not to discourage anyone from upgrading, but if all you need is the ability to generate mp3 files, there are programs such Audacity that will allow you to do so for free.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Import the wav file from Sibelius, and convert it to mp3.

Or use Reaper, a fancy DAW program with more options. Only $60 for non-commercial license, and if that's too much, the trial version is fully functional and will continue to work forever even if you don't pay for a license.

--
Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com
IMDb: www.imdb.com/name/nm2039241

Posted by Mike Lyons - 02 Mar 06:37AM
+1

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Tombo, 28 Feb 06:59PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Ingrid, 28 Feb 07:27PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Tombo, 28 Feb 08:46PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 07:29PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Tombo, 28 Feb 08:47PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Mike Lyons, 28 Feb 08:54PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 09:02PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Ingrid, 28 Feb 09:24PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Peter Roos, 02 Mar 02:39AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: Upgrading -- confused! - Mike Lyons, 02 Mar 06:37AM