'Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef '

Messages in this thread

Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a c... - wfeg, 28 Feb 05:51AM
     Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Mike Lyons, 28 Feb 07:21AM
         Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - wfeg, 28 Feb 08:29AM
             Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Robin Walker, 28 Feb 10:05AM
                 Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 10:52AM
                     Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - sperger, 28 Feb 05:54PM
                         Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Mike Lyons, 28 Feb 09:02PM
                             Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - wfeg, 28 Feb 10:00PM
                 Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - wfeg, 28 Feb 09:55PM
                     Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 10:08PM
                         Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Mike Lyons, 01 Mar 06:57AM

Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by wfeg - 28 Feb 05:51AM
I am trying to read in a composition for horn and piano in a hand written script. This gives a ridiculous number of errors which I can slowly correct.

But one error that I do not know how to correct is that in parts of the score, the horn lines do not appear at all even though they are written. Only the piano staff lines appear at these points of the score.

One way I thought of overcoming this was the following:

1) Send the PhotosScore Ultimate score to Sibelius.
2) At the respective points in the score where the horn bars are not appearing (say for 4 bars), add the same number of bars to the score (4), copy over the piano part to the 4 new piano bars, and then delete the 4 piano bars where there are no horn bars.
3) Manually add the horn bars that are missing to the new horn bars that were inserted.

Is this the way it should be tackled, or is there a better way?


--
wfeg
Attachment Neuratron PhotoScore Ultimate 2 horn bars missing (only piano part showing).jpg (308K)

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by Mike Lyons - 28 Feb 07:21AM
The most important thing to remember is that all structural errors - unidentified staves, missed clefs, extra clefs and KS and instrument naming should be done in PhotoScore BEFORE sending to Sibelius. Check the identified staves on a page by page basis to make sure they are correctly labelled. Trust me on this. I use PS on an almost daily basis and you are going to waste hours trying to sort it out in Sibelius.

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by wfeg - 28 Feb 08:29AM
> The most important thing to remember is that all structural errors - unidentified staves, missed clefs, extra clefs and KS and instrument naming should be done in PhotoScore BEFORE sending to Sibelius. Check the identified staves on a page by page basis to make sure they are correctly labelled. Trust me on this. I use PS on an almost daily basis and you are going to waste hours trying to sort it out in Sibelius.
>
> --
> Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
> Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Mike Lyons

The problem with your suggestion is that I could not find any way of correcting my problem in PhotoScore Ultimate.

How do you add the missing horn bars above the piano bars?

--
wfeg

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by Robin Walker - 28 Feb 10:05AM
You have mistakenly allowed PhotoScore to go on to "read" pages, before checking whether PhotoScore has recognised all the staves correctly.

You need to abandon what you have done so far, and start again. This time, before scanning in the score, open PhotoScore Preferences, click tab "Scanning" and UNCHECK the box "Read pages after scanning/opening". Then you will have an entire new phase of work to do before PhotoScore attempts to interpret the music: locating all the staves on each page correctly, and tying them together into correct systems.

Be sure to read the PhotoScore User Guide fully on this process.

--
Sibelius 2018.1/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by Laurence Payne - 28 Feb 10:52AM
Are you sure PhotoScore is the right tool for this job?

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by sperger - 28 Feb 05:54PM
I had this same thing using the free version of photoscore. When I had corrected what I could I sent it to Sibelius expecting to have to do what you suggested in your original post but when I opened it in landscape mode the piano part was intact with a system of empty bars above in the solo so I just filled them in as I would normally.

--
Computer:i7 processor, 16GB ram, main disk is SSD, Windows 10, loads of hard drives, System and Sibelius etc. on SSD, behringer usb sound thing and a Nektar keyboard.Sibelius 2018, GPO and Note performer. I have Sibelius sounds installed but I only really use the piano and some of the less common instruments

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by Mike Lyons - 28 Feb 09:02PM
Photoscore will read correctly all the notes and most symbols on staves that it has recognised. Poor quality scans will produce poor quality results (GIGO).

Best workflow for me:

Scan the pages in
Do as Robin says and don't let it read pages automatically
Go through each scanned page checking for missed staves, wrong clefs, accidentals, wrong keysigns, missing barlines and use the error navigator to find incorrectly filled bars and then correct them.

When you are sure you have checked thoroughly, only then send to Sibelius. Make sure to save the scan as an opt file, in case you missed anything and Sib crashes when reading it.

Also, don't scan more than a dozen or so pages in one go. Keep separate files and import each one into sibelius separate;y, then use Append to mash them back together. It's not essential, but it will save you losing too much work in one go if it crashes.



--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by wfeg - 28 Feb 10:00PM
> Photoscore will read correctly all the notes and most symbols on staves that it has recognised. Poor quality scans will produce poor quality results (GIGO).
>
> Best workflow for me:
>
> Scan the pages in
> Do as Robin says and don't let it read pages automatically
> Go through each scanned page checking for missed staves, wrong clefs, accidentals, wrong keysigns, missing barlines and use the error navigator to find incorrectly filled bars and then correct them.
>
> When you are sure you have checked thoroughly, only then send to Sibelius. Make sure to save the scan as an opt file, in case you missed anything and Sib crashes when reading it.
>
> Also, don't scan more than a dozen or so pages in one go. Keep separate files and import each one into sibelius separate;y, then use Append to mash them back together. It's not essential, but it will save you losing too much work in one go if it crashes.
>
>
>
> --
> Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
> Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Mike Lyons

Thanks for your very good workflow advice. This is what I need to understand how to better use PhotoScore Ultimate. Much appreciated. I will follow yours and Robin's advice.

--
wfeg

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by wfeg - 28 Feb 09:55PM
> You have mistakenly allowed PhotoScore to go on to "read" pages, before checking whether PhotoScore has recognised all the staves correctly.
>
> You need to abandon what you have done so far, and start again. This time, before scanning in the score, open PhotoScore Preferences, click tab "Scanning" and UNCHECK the box "Read pages after scanning/opening". Then you will have an entire new phase of work to do before PhotoScore attempts to interpret the music: locating all the staves on each page correctly, and tying them together into correct systems.
>
> Be sure to read the PhotoScore User Guide fully on this process.
>
> --
> Sibelius 2018.1/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Robin Walker

Thanks very much for your in-depth reply, which I will follow. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

--
wfeg

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by Laurence Payne - 28 Feb 10:08PM
But don't persist with PhotoScore beyond the point where manual note entry straight to Sibelius would have been quicker. I suispect you've passed that point already.

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a clef
Posted by Mike Lyons - 01 Mar 06:57AM
...and there re some things it is very poor at - lyrics, for instance - which it is not worth using for. Better to type those in by hand.

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Back to top | All threads
 

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read a c... - wfeg, 28 Feb 05:51AM
     Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Mike Lyons, 28 Feb 07:21AM
         Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - wfeg, 28 Feb 08:29AM
             Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Robin Walker, 28 Feb 10:05AM
                 Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 10:52AM
                     Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - sperger, 28 Feb 05:54PM
                         Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Mike Lyons, 28 Feb 09:02PM
                             Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - wfeg, 28 Feb 10:00PM
                 Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - wfeg, 28 Feb 09:55PM
                     Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Laurence Payne, 28 Feb 10:08PM
                         Re: Neuratron Photoscore Ultimate does not read... - Mike Lyons, 01 Mar 06:57AM