'Instrument repeats in parts'

Messages in this thread

Instrument repeats in parts - David Fielker, 10 Jan 03:57PM
     Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 04:41PM
         Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Mike Lyons, 10 Jan 10:00PM
         Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Patrick O'Keefe, 11 Jan 06:32PM
             Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Laurence Payne, 11 Jan 07:43PM
                 Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Adrian Drover, 11 Jan 08:41PM

Instrument repeats in parts
Posted by David Fielker - 10 Jan 03:57PM
In one particular file, when I exported to parts as pdfs the names of the instruments (top left) appeared twice.

I tried opening a new file and pasting in the music and headings, and they appeared three times! After another try the appeared four times!

Excerpt attached.

--
David
composer
Sibelius 7.1.3
Mac OS 10.7.4, 8 Gb RAM
Attachment Excerpt.sib (34K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Instrument repeats in parts
Posted by Robin Walker - 10 Jan 04:41PM
The score attached above has three instances of a text object containing "\$PARTNAME\" attached to the first bar. Delete two of them (say No to the hiding query), and you should be OK in all Parts.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Mike Lyons - 10 Jan 10:00PM
If you system copied the first bar for any reason, you also copied the headerpartnames wildcard. This causes multiple instances to appear. It also happens if you append scores.

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Posted by Patrick O'Keefe - 11 Jan 06:32PM
> The score attached above has three instances of a text object containing "\$PARTNAME\" attached to the first bar. Delete two of them (say No to the hiding query), and you should be OK in all Parts.

I've had that happen in the past (6 copies as I recall) and have no idea how it happened. I certainly did not intentionally put the multiple copies there. Any idea how it can happen?

I'm sort of glad to see that somebody else has run into this.

--
Patrick O'Keefe

Sib 7.5, GPO4, NotePerformer, lots of EWQL stuff
Win10 x64 Pro Intel i7-4771, 3.50Ghz, 16GB RAM

Posted by Laurence Payne - 11 Jan 07:43PM
When you realise that Title, partname etc. are 'contained' in bar 1 of the piece, it can become clear what editing operation might have duplicated them. But no matter. As others have advised, just delete all but one of them.

Posted by Adrian Drover - 11 Jan 08:41PM
Part name is a system object, normally hidden on page 1 of the score. This is automatically transferred to all parts, normally not hidden. If you system select bar 1 of the score and copy its contents to another position in the score, all the system objects are picked up and automatically copied to all the parts. If you have magnetic layout turned on, you will see duplication of part name in the parts. If magnetic layout is turned off, you probably won't notice the duplication as they will be sitting on top of each other.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Instrument repeats in parts - David Fielker, 10 Jan 03:57PM
     Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 04:41PM
         Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Mike Lyons, 10 Jan 10:00PM
         Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Patrick O'Keefe, 11 Jan 06:32PM
             Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Laurence Payne, 11 Jan 07:43PM
                 Re: Instrument repeats in parts - Adrian Drover, 11 Jan 08:41PM