'Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missing according to start up message.'

Messages in this thread

Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missing a... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 01:19PM
     Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 02:01PM
         Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 02:48PM
             Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 03:11PM
                 Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 08:46PM
                     Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 10:31PM
                         Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 10:42PM

Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missing according to start up message.
Posted by Stephen Martin - 10 Jan 01:19PM
I get a message saying Sibelius 7.5 won't start due to a missing dll file. Is this something to do with the latest Windows 10 update? I've been using Sib 7.5 for hours every day, but I've never had the message before.

It's not the only thing that won't start up because of a missing dll file. I found the .dll file on the net, downloaded it into System 32 file [a tutorial told me how to do this,
and yet after a restart of the pc, it still does no start up.'
Vienna Ensemble won't start in Sib 6 - Sib 6 did start up, but VE also gave me an error message similar in that another .dll file is missing.

thanks if anyone can help me here.

--
Stephen John Martin
Attachment sibelius wont start MSVCR100.dll is missing.JPG.jpg (18K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missing according to start up message.
Posted by Robin Walker - 10 Jan 02:01PM
If this PC runs McAfee anti-virus, then this is possibly damage done by McAfee. Please confirm whether this is the case.

You should NEVER download and copy DLL files into Windows from the internet: that procedure just does not "install" the DLL is a way that is knowable to applications. You just end up with an unmaintainable chimaera of a Windows system.

If your system is one which has been damaged by McAfee, then the only solution is:
- uninstall McAfee;
- uninstall Sibelius;
- re-install Sibelius 7.5.1 (which will re-install all necessary DLL files properly);
- do not re-install McAfee.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missing according to start up message.
Posted by Stephen Martin - 10 Jan 02:48PM
Hi Robin,

thank you for your help. Good news, I took my Windows 10 back to an earlier build and everything is starting up fine now. I don't know what on earth caused all of those missing .dll files, but I'll stick with this build and hope it does not happen again. I'm going to get the system 32 folder and copy it just in case something like this happens again.

best,

--
Stephen John Martin

Posted by Robin Walker - 10 Jan 03:11PM
Yes, a system restore should be OK for dealing with this.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Stephen Martin - 10 Jan 08:46PM
Hi Robin,

I got the following message from East West sounds support:

"This sometimes happens when you make Windows updates - if you ever see DLL MSVCR updates, those are Visual C++ redistributable packages missing on your Windows machine. In this case, 120.dll is the 2013 one.

If you install that redistributable - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784&ranMID=24542&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-qjsP1pn7kH1CmIUCJW3Ojg&tduid=(3686bc3340682ab18a0815b5224a7db7)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-qjsP1pn7kH1CmIUCJW3Ojg)() - and then restart your computer, you should no longer get that same error."

--
Stephen John Martin

Posted by Robin Walker - 10 Jan 10:31PM
But earlier you reported that it was MSCVR100, not 120.

--

Posted by Stephen Martin - 10 Jan 10:42PM
Hi Robin,

I can't remember all of the dll names, there were a number of them that were missing. I could not start up other programs also and these gave different dll missing messages.

Vienna Ensemble and Vsl instruments would not start, also East West PLay. They gave messages also, but different dlls.

I installed the files he recommended, but taking it back to an earlier build fixed it. I'm now waiting online to talk to a microsoft representive and tell them about it, as it looks like the update that caused the trouble is now downloading again. Thanks for your help Robin. I hope that answers your question.

best,

Steve

--
Stephen John Martin

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missing a... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 01:19PM
     Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 02:01PM
         Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 02:48PM
             Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 03:11PM
                 Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 08:46PM
                     Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Robin Walker, 10 Jan 10:31PM
                         Re: Sibelius 7.5 wont start a dll file is missi... - Stephen Martin, 10 Jan 10:42PM