'Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue box opens'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue box ... - Geoff Culbertson, 08 Jan 05:09PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Geoff Culbertson, 08 Jan 05:32PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Robin Walker, 08 Jan 06:39PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Geoff Culbertson, 08 Jan 11:50PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - James, 09 Jan 05:13AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Robin Walker, 09 Jan 07:50AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Geoff Culbertson, 10 Jan 07:56PM

Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue box opens
Posted by Geoff Culbertson - 08 Jan 05:09PM
I have been using Sibelius for many years on Windows and now on IOS and am currently using version 6 [591]. I have never had any problems with it, however I have just spent some hours entering music into a score and when I select File/Save, the Save to dialogue box opens and Sibelius promptly crashes. See an extract from the problem report below. The problem report offers the opportunity to reopen Sibelius and Sibelius recovers most of what I had entered, but as soon as I try to save the file it crashes again. Is anyone else having this problem? What do I do to allow a save. I have rebooted my system.

Crashed Thread: 20 Dispatch queue: com.apple.NSXPCConnection.m-user.com.apple.bird

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[NSURL fp_scopeDescription]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x36c2bb60'

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue box opens
Posted by Geoff Culbertson - 08 Jan 05:32PM
I seem to have sorted the problem. I went to the Sibelius Autosave folder and found a file with the filename of the title of the music I was creating (which I had not been able to save). I copied this .sib file elsewhere on my hard disk and opened it in Sibelius. No problems at all.
Why was it doing this? Is this a bug?

Posted by Robin Walker - 08 Jan 06:39PM
I assume that you mean macOS rather than iOS, as Sibelius has never been released for iOS.

Exactly what sub-version number of Sibelius 6 are you using?

What version of macOS is being used?

Does this Mac have any of these 3rd-party utilities installed:
- Default Folder X;
- Audio Hijack Pro.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Geoff Culbertson - 08 Jan 11:50PM
I am using Sibelius 6.2.0 build 88 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. I am not using any of the 3rd party utilities you suggest, but have always had Roboform installed and running, which I recall reading somewhere may have caused problems.

Posted by James - 09 Jan 05:13AM
When you select your main drive in Disk Utility and choose Info, what does it say about "Is case-sensitive?" Does it say "yes" or "no?"

--
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
Sibelius 6.2

Posted by Robin Walker - 09 Jan 07:50AM (edited 09 Jan 01:38PM)
Try reconfiguring RoboForm so that it operates only within web-browsers, not within other applications (such as Sibelius).

Also, some generic advice:
1. Before starting a Sibelius session, pull down the Apple menu and select "Restart". After the operating system restart has completed, then launch Sibelius. In this way, you will be starting with a clean slate;

2. Save your score file more frequently than the "some hours" that you reported. Essentially, save it at intervals of time that are no longer than the time that you would wish to lose in the event of a crash.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Geoff Culbertson - 10 Jan 07:56PM
As far as Disk Utility is concerned the "Is case-sensitive" is set to No.
As I have said I have never had this problem before. I do tend to save my scores at intervals during input. I understand what you say in relation to a re-boot of the system and a clean slate. Hopefully this was a one-off. But I have now found a way to get round it in any case. ;) Thanks very much for your assistance.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue box ... - Geoff Culbertson, 08 Jan 05:09PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Geoff Culbertson, 08 Jan 05:32PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Robin Walker, 08 Jan 06:39PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Geoff Culbertson, 08 Jan 11:50PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - James, 09 Jan 05:13AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Robin Walker, 09 Jan 07:50AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: Crashes as soon as Save dialogue ... - Geoff Culbertson, 10 Jan 07:56PM