Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Mike Lyons, 31 Dec 08:29AM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Adrian Drover, 31 Dec 08:50AM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Mike Lyons, 31 Dec 02:43PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Bob Zawalich, 31 Dec 10:16PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Robin Walker, 31 Dec 02:46PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Adrian Drover, 31 Dec 05:04PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Ben Moore, 31 Dec 07:46PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Chris Crawley, 31 Dec 08:38PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Adrian Drover, 31 Dec 09:53PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Mike Lyons, 01 Jan 09:09AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Ben Moore, 07 Jan 01:14AM

Sib. 7.5: trill playback
Posted by Ben Moore - 30 Dec 11:16PM
I'm struggling with trill playback today. For years I used to fiddle with the Inspector to get my trills to playback in the correct interval. Then somewhere along the line Sibelius started reading the accidental symbols placed over the trilled notes automatically and it even played back the sound of the trill when I would click on a trilled note. This was a huge benefit to me and the way I write! Now Sibelius has stopped playing back trills when I click on them, mostly plays them back (but not always) during playback, and will now only occasionally obey the accidental symbols during playback. 'Naturals' seem to be obeyed but not flats or double flats and most frustratingly there is no longer an option in the Inspector to manually adjust the playback interval! At least not in my Sibelius 7.5. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Ben

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback
Posted by Mike Lyons - 31 Dec 08:29AM (edited 31 Dec 08:29AM)
Because of the tiny design of the sib 7 inspector, it is difficult to see the different options, but they are there. The Sib 8 inspector is easier to read, but takes up far too much screen space when it's open.

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
Attachments trill playback 1.png (8K), trill playback 2.png (44K)

Posted by Adrian Drover - 31 Dec 08:50AM
Not only does the inspector take up too much screen space, but slows down editing to unworkable when left open.

Posted by Mike Lyons - 31 Dec 02:43PM
To be fair, it isn't that bad on my laptop. Yes, it does slow down, and gradually gets worse, but it has not yet gotten to the stage where I couldn't work with it.

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 31 Dec 10:16PM
Mike/Adrian

As far as I know you 2 guys are the only ones who have reported slowdowns when the inspector is open in Sib 8.x.

Could one of you email me a score that shows this problem and give some steps to duplicate it? You are both under Windows 10 so it is likely not an OS issue.

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Posted by Robin Walker - 31 Dec 02:46PM
> Then somewhere along the line Sibelius started reading the accidental symbols placed over the trilled notes automatically

Sibelius has never done this: you must be imagining it. Or maybe you were using a special house-style which implemented a bespoke solution.

Also, from Sibelius version 7.5 onwards, there have been playback bugs with trills and other articulations in general, for which there are no fixes or work-arounds.

In some cases, exporting the score into Sibelius 7 format, and using Sibelius 7.1.3 to play back the score, works well.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Adrian Drover - 31 Dec 05:04PM
Posted by Robin Walker - 31 Dec 14:46
Also, from Sibelius version 7.5 onwards, there have been playback bugs with trills and other articulations in general, for which there are no fixes or work-arounds.
In some cases, exporting the score into Sibelius 7 format, and using Sibelius 7.1.3 to play back the score, works well.

==============================================

Funny you should say that, Robin. I have to write my scores in 7.1.3 because I cannot work with v8's wretched slowdown inspector and loss of the solid blue mouse pointer warning, but have to import to 8 to playback with NP, especially in swing mode. Let's hope that Avid has a better year in '18 and bring out a version with useful upgrades and repaired breakages.

Posted by Ben Moore - 31 Dec 07:46PM
Hi guys. Back online. Mike, there's nothing on the inspector in Sibelius 7.5 that says 'trills.' I tried expanding the various tabs, of course. It definitely used to be there with an option to select 'half step' or 'diatonic.' I'd also love to know why the trills don't playback anymore when I click on them. Also, the accidental symbols most definitely used to affect the playback (at least for me). Here is a test score, attached. The natural symbol does still affect the playback (for me) on a flatted note but the other accidental symbols no longer do. On non-flatted notes the accidental symbols still affect the playback for me.....
I may have to export to Sib. 7 as Robin suggests but I do wish I could just adjust them with the inspector.Ben
Attachment trill test.sib (39K)

Posted by Chris Crawley - 31 Dec 08:38PM
Don't know if there were changes between 7.1.3 and 7.5, but in former I have, after selecting a trill, Inspector (Edit Line) > Playback > Trill, with the options you mention.

--
Chris Crawley (composer and horn-player) using Dorico 1.2, Sibelius 7.1.3, NotePerformer 2.0.2, Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7, 3.30GHz, 64GB RAM, DacMagic 100

Posted by Adrian Drover - 31 Dec 09:53PM
All the trills in Ben's attachment are set to Diatonic. In Sib.8 some of the accidentals such as the aug.2nds do have an effect on interval. The double flat (min.2nd) doesn't. None of the accidentals take effect in 7.1.3. I never had 7.5, so don't know.

Posted by Mike Lyons - 01 Jan 09:09AM
Ben, my 2nd screenshot is taken from my installation of sib 7.5, so it is definitely there!

--

Posted by Ben Moore - 07 Jan 01:14AM
Mike,
As often happens with me and Sibelius, it's some dumb, obvious thing that I neglect to do....in this case I had been clicking on the note with a trill before opening the Inspector. What I should do is click on the trill line itself which is the only way to get the Inspector's trill playback options to appear! Anyway, thanks for your help.
Ben

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Ben Moore, 30 Dec 11:16PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Mike Lyons, 31 Dec 08:29AM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Adrian Drover, 31 Dec 08:50AM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Mike Lyons, 31 Dec 02:43PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Bob Zawalich, 31 Dec 10:16PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Robin Walker, 31 Dec 02:46PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Adrian Drover, 31 Dec 05:04PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Ben Moore, 31 Dec 07:46PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Chris Crawley, 31 Dec 08:38PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Adrian Drover, 31 Dec 09:53PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Mike Lyons, 01 Jan 09:09AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: trill playback - Ben Moore, 07 Jan 01:14AM