'Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets)'

Messages in this thread

Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Robert Moody, 28 Dec 05:07PM
     Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Bob Porter, 28 Dec 08:31PM
         Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Robert Moody, 28 Dec 08:56PM
             Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Mike Lyons, 29 Dec 09:38AM
                 Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Robert Moody, 29 Dec 12:17PM
                     Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Mike Lyons, 29 Dec 02:24PM

Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets)
Posted by Robert Moody - 28 Dec 05:07PM (edited 28 Dec 09:01PM)
I am using Sibelius to create the "meat" of my Clarinet Technique Library. I am sure that I have a poor workflow wherein efficiency is concerned and wondered if some of you experienced superstars could enlighten me a little (or a lot!).

Specifically:

In the attached example from the Sightreading section, the workflow issue I am concerned with is the repeats at mid-measure 8 in both melodies.

My workflow:

1. Create blank measures needed for next melody.
2. Highlight and change time if needed (T>More Options>No Cautionary and Pick-up if needed)
3. Adjust key (K)
4. Enter music
*5. Select measure 8 and change to meter needed for first repeat.
6. Select the leftover pick-up and change meter to hold it (i.e. if there is an eighth pick-up to second half of melody, I change the meter to 1/8)
7. Select and Ctrl+Delete unneeded created measures.
8. Add end and beginning repeat barlines as needed
9. Adjust repeats to overlap each other (measure 8)
10. Hide new time signatures.
11. Hide bar number 9 above new pick-up
12. Adjust bar numbering so bar 9 is now in next full measure
13. If I lose bar numbering, I add a beginning repeat and hide it to fix repeat structure and regain them.

I am hoping that once Robin and others are able to stop banging their heads on their keyboards and mumbling not-so-flattering things, they will help me clear the cobwebs and get my workflow straightened out.

BTW, playback is not an issue in this case (except where the program needs clarity to function, like repeats and bar numbering). For me, it is 100% about layout.

--
Robert Moody
Sibelius 8.x (Subscription)
Windows 10, 4.x GHz, 12G RAM, Nvidia 970, 250G SSD, 1TB HD (7200 RPM)
Attachment Untitled-1.png (101K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets)
Posted by Bob Porter - 28 Dec 08:31PM
Two thoughts.
1. If this is for sight reading, as you say, don't use repeats at all. Repeats might be a crutch, telling the reader that nothing new is coming up.
2. Maybe a 1st and 2nd ending structure would be easier to write. Then there is no doubt as to where to go when.

Don't forget the repeat bar line at measure 16 in the first example.

Posted by Robert Moody - 28 Dec 08:56PM
Thanks for your reply Bob.

Repeat at the end in measure 16? Yeah. I noticed that after posting.

I appreciate the insights into the sightreading methodology. The melodies with repeats are specifically there to practice reading them (the repeats) at sight (i.e. see the "road map").

Thanks again for your input. Any insight as to workflow for creating the exercises themselves?

--
Robert Moody

Posted by Mike Lyons - 29 Dec 09:38AM
For bars with split bar repeats, I would tend to use split bar, rather than do it myself which is cumbersome. Select the note or rest before which you want the repeat and click the button on the ribbon. It simply creates two bars with irregular length.

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Posted by Robert Moody - 29 Dec 12:17PM
*Bangs head on keyboard and mumbles not-so-kind things

Thanks Mike. Imagine that...a button right there on the ribbon to do that.

--
Robert Moody

Posted by Mike Lyons - 29 Dec 02:24PM
To be fair, my hindsight is 20/20 too! :-D

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Robert Moody, 28 Dec 05:07PM
     Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Bob Porter, 28 Dec 08:31PM
         Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Robert Moody, 28 Dec 08:56PM
             Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Mike Lyons, 29 Dec 09:38AM
                 Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Robert Moody, 29 Dec 12:17PM
                     Re: Workflow Best Practices (Worksheets) - Mike Lyons, 29 Dec 02:24PM