Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 01:03AM
     Re: Key Switches - Laurence Payne, 27 Dec 01:22AM
         Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 01:41AM
             Re: Key Switches - Laurence Payne, 27 Dec 01:43AM
                 Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 10:26AM
                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 11:00AM
                         Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 11:11AM
                             Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 11:14AM
                                 Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 01:38PM
                                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 04:18PM
                                         Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 04:52PM
                                             Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 07:43PM
                                                 Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 07:44PM
                                                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 07:45PM
                                                         Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 11:16PM
                                                             Re: Key Switches - Rob , 28 Dec 12:37AM
                                                                 Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 28 Dec 09:53AM
                                                                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 29 Dec 01:42AM

Key Switches
Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 01:03AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm using Garritan GPO4 sound set in my Sibelius.

I am setting up key switches for a string section. In the Cello line, I use, spiccato, pizzicato and tremolo through the piece. I am setting up different key switches for all those articulation changes.

So the one Cello stave now has four staves, one for the normal arco and the three for the varying articulation with the particular Garritan sound applied to that stave.

Is this the right thing to do when handling articulation changes?

It seems very cumbersome to me.

Cheers

Rob

Back to top | All threads

Re: Key Switches
Posted by Laurence Payne - 27 Dec 01:22AM
What happens if you simply select 'GPO' as Playback Configuration and let the notation do its job?

Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 01:41AM
If I do that all I get it is the one articulation throughout the Cello part.

Cheers

rob

Posted by Laurence Payne - 27 Dec 01:43AM (edited 27 Dec 01:43AM)
OK. I thought GPO4 was supported. We know there's no official sound set yet for GPO5. (I think?)

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 10:26AM
Which sample library are you actually using: GPO4 or GPO5?
Which patch/program from within the sample library are you using for your "cello"?
And what have you selected for "Sound Set" in the Playback Configuration?

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 11:00AM
I’m using GPO4 Robin, is there a GPO 5 now?

I’m using the KS version of the cello patch in Garritan.

GPO 4 is the sound set.

Cheers

Rob

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 11:11AM
> I’m using the KS version of the cello patch in Garritan.

Solo or ensemble?

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 11:14AM
The solo one.

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 01:38PM
The standard Sibelius Soundset for GPO4 should provide support, on the Solo Cello KS, for legato, for legato-mute, and for pizzicato, derived from the normal Sibelius score notation, without the need for explicit keyswitches being written into the score.

There appears to be no support in GPO4 for any spiccato sounds on any instrument.

If you need to write keyswitches in the score, there should not be any need for separate staves per instrument: the whole point of keyswitches is that you add them (in a separate "voice") to the same staff as the melody.

--

Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 04:18PM
Ah, in that case, I might have set up the GPO4 sound set incorrectly, as it’s not recognising the different articulation.

Is there a link you know of that shows you how to set GPO 4 up correctly in Sibelius?

Cheers

Rob

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 04:52PM
Please attach a screen-shot of the Playback Configuration dialogue window, on the "Active Devices" tab.

--

Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 07:43PM
Attached is the shot you asked for Robin, plus one or the Aria player settings.

With the Aria player settings, is it right to set all midi channels to OM? Because that's only way I can get to hear sounds from every channel.

I have also included a shot of the Manual Sound Sets page, as I think I don't have that set up correctly either.

Cheers and thanks for the help Robin.

Rob
Attachment Playback devices.png (18K)

Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 07:44PM
Here are the other two in these posts as it won't let me attach more than one ata time.
Attachment Manual Sound Sets.png (30K)

Posted by Rob - 27 Dec 07:45PM
Now the Aria Player shot
Attachment Aria Player.png (356K)

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 11:16PM
Please try letting Sibelius do its own thing with the SoundSet. Scrap all the Manual Soundsets. Scrap the pre-loaded sounds in Aria. Sibelius should be left to run things its own way, if you are using the soundset for GPO4.

--

Posted by Rob - 28 Dec 12:37AM
OK, I turned off the manual sound set, now no sound at all. I can't get it to work if I just use GPO4 as the active device without a manual sound set.

Is it supposed to work that way? If so, can you tell me what I need to do?

Cheers

Rob

Posted by Robin Walker - 28 Dec 09:53AM
Oh, I see the problem now, in the ARIA screen-shot. You do not have the GPO4 sample library installed: that's why you do not have any sound when you select GPO4 in Sibelius.

The sample library you have installed is GPO5 (despite your earlier statement that you were using GPO4), which does not work with the GPO4 SoundSet file in Sibelius.

To use the GPO5 sample library with Sibelius, you need to install a "SoundSet" file for GPO5. There is no official SoundSet for GPO5, but there is a user-contributed SoundSet for GPO5, available from:

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=708913&groupid=3

--

Posted by Rob - 29 Dec 01:42AM
A ha, that worked like a beauty Robin. Thank you for that.

Now, onto other issues, unfortunately.

Cheers

Rob

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 01:03AM
     Re: Key Switches - Laurence Payne, 27 Dec 01:22AM
         Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 01:41AM
             Re: Key Switches - Laurence Payne, 27 Dec 01:43AM
                 Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 10:26AM
                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 11:00AM
                         Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 11:11AM
                             Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 11:14AM
                                 Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 01:38PM
                                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 04:18PM
                                         Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 04:52PM
                                             Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 07:43PM
                                                 Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 07:44PM
                                                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 27 Dec 07:45PM
                                                         Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 11:16PM
                                                             Re: Key Switches - Rob , 28 Dec 12:37AM
                                                                 Re: Key Switches - Robin Walker, 28 Dec 09:53AM
                                                                     Re: Key Switches - Rob , 29 Dec 01:42AM