'Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 21 Dec 09:43PM
     Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Robin Walker, 21 Dec 09:54PM
         Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 03 Jan 03:47PM
             Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Bob Porter, 03 Jan 04:02PM
                 Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 03 Jan 04:36PM
                     Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Bob Porter, 03 Jan 08:40PM
                         Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 04 Jan 10:48AM

Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue
Posted by Brian Beresford - 21 Dec 09:43PM
I have Sibelius 4 and have recently upgraded my operating system to Windows 10. I am very happy with Sibelius 4 and don't wish to buy an expensive upgrade.

Sadly I have discovered that Sibelius 4 and Windows 10 are not compatible and when I try to save my work I get this message "Sibelius has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

According to avid.force.com "The older versions of Sibelius are not supported on Windows 10 so you are advised to run Sibelius as Administrator. For help doing this, see here". The link does not give the help needed.

Does anyone know a way of solving this issue?

Many thanks in advance!

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue
Posted by Robin Walker - 21 Dec 09:54PM (edited 21 Dec 09:55PM)
Ensure Sibelius is fully quit.
Using Windows File Explorer:
- navigate to the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 4
- right-click on "Sibelius.exe" and select "Properties";
- click tab "Compatibility";
- Under "Compatibility mode", check "Run this program in compatibility mode for";
- and select "Windows XP".
Now try launching Sibelius.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Brian Beresford - 03 Jan 03:47PM
Thanks for trying Robin, and Happy New Year!

Sadly, your suggestion hasn't solved the problem. Any further thoughts?

Posted by Bob Porter - 03 Jan 04:02PM
Brian,

>According to avid.force.com "The older versions of Sibelius are not supported on Windows 10 so you are advised to run Sibelius as Administrator. For help doing this, see here". The link does not give the help needed.<

Did you actually try to run Sibelius as Administrator? Sounds funny, but even though your account is the administrator, there is a higher 'Hidden" account. That is what sometimes works to start software (as well as other tasks). Right click the Sibelius icon and select Run as Administrator. Might work, might not.

Posted by Brian Beresford - 03 Jan 04:36PM
Thanks Bob. I tried what you suggested but to no avail.

Looks like I will need to put my hand in my pocket for an upgrade!

Posted by Bob Porter - 03 Jan 08:40PM
Two things,

1. When you say "upgrade to W10", did you do a fresh install(wipe the drive and install W10), or an "inplace install" (W10 installed around your previous OS. If the latter, you might need to reinstall Sibelius.

2. When you get an error message, you can find out what caused it by using the "Event Viewer". We can help you do that, if you want to go that route.

Though the compatibility mode routine should have worked.

Posted by Brian Beresford - 04 Jan 10:48AM
I have tried everything that has been suggested, Bob, sadly with no success. Thank you for taking the time to offer advice. I have just ordered Sibelius 8, and am looking forward to having fun with it!

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 21 Dec 09:43PM
     Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Robin Walker, 21 Dec 09:54PM
         Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 03 Jan 03:47PM
             Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Bob Porter, 03 Jan 04:02PM
                 Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 03 Jan 04:36PM
                     Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Bob Porter, 03 Jan 08:40PM
                         Re: Sib. 4.x: SIbelius 4/Windows 10 issue - Brian Beresford, 04 Jan 10:48AM