'Worksheet instrument problems'

Messages in this thread

Worksheet instrument problems - Lyn Ritz, 07 Dec 06:09AM
     Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Robin Walker, 07 Dec 08:04AM
         Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Mike Lyons, 07 Dec 02:52PM
             Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Laurence Payne, 07 Dec 04:25PM
                 Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Lyn Ritz, 08 Dec 07:52AM
                     Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Laurence Payne, 08 Dec 11:14AM
                         Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Robin Walker, 08 Dec 11:50AM

Worksheet instrument problems
Posted by Lyn Ritz - 07 Dec 06:09AM
I am trying to create a worksheet with a system of one staff, a second with 3 staves, and another with 2, etc., on the same page - a variety of these types of scenarios. It really doesn't even matter what the instruments are - I just need staves to enter notation. These will have many time and key signature changes along the way. I can change the signatures, but it seems as if "hide empty staves" is the only way to accomplish this. It seems unwieldy and I am not always sure how many more staves might be needed along the way so I can't really plan in the beginning how many instruments to start with. Hiding empty staves certainly messes up the layout. Is there any better way to accomplish this? Thanks!

--
Lyn Ritz, College Place WA
Sibelius 7.5, Mac OS 10.9.2
iMac 32GB RAM
3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7
Cubase 7.5
Kontakt 5, Aria, Miroslav Philharmonik, EWQLSO, Halion 4, Garritan World, Ivory II, Cinematic Strings

Back to top | All threads

Re: Worksheet instrument problems
Posted by Robin Walker - 07 Dec 08:04AM
What is meant by "Hiding empty staves certainly messes up the layout"?

--
Sibelius 8.7/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Mike Lyons - 07 Dec 02:52PM
You can always add staves as you go along. The instrument will always start from the beginning of the worksheet, but you can hide.

An alternative strategy might be to use ossia staves, but that would probably get very messy if there were a lot of them.

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Posted by Laurence Payne - 07 Dec 04:25PM
Start with lots. If you get to a situation where you need lots +1, just add another at the beginning. On each line use Hide Empty Staves to hide the empty ones. What's the problem?
Attachment Capture.PNG.png (168K)

Posted by Lyn Ritz - 08 Dec 07:52AM
Thanks all for your suggestions. I will fool with hiding staves which seems like the best solution. What makes it difficult is that there is a lot of text of various lengths in between the variety of staves. This being the case, is it better to have the text boxes attached to a certain staff or is there a way to NOT attach them so they would be more mobile, and what would be best? Thanks much.

--
Lyn Ritz, College Place WA
Sibelius 7.5, Mac OS 10.9.2
iMac 32GB RAM
3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7
Cubase 7.5
Kontakt 5, Aria, Miroslav Philharmonik, EWQLSO, Halion 4, Garritan World, Ivory II, Cinematic Strings

Posted by Laurence Payne - 08 Dec 11:14AM

Text items get attached to a particular bar, yes. But they can still be moved.

Posted by Robin Walker - 08 Dec 11:50AM
The general rule about layout is: (a) complete the input of the score first, paying no attention to layout issues; then (b) attend to layout only after the score is complete. In this case, the "score" includes all the text that you want to show.

--
Sibelius 8.7.2/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Worksheet instrument problems - Lyn Ritz, 07 Dec 06:09AM
     Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Robin Walker, 07 Dec 08:04AM
         Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Mike Lyons, 07 Dec 02:52PM
             Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Laurence Payne, 07 Dec 04:25PM
                 Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Lyn Ritz, 08 Dec 07:52AM
                     Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Laurence Payne, 08 Dec 11:14AM
                         Re: Worksheet instrument problems - Robin Walker, 08 Dec 11:50AM