'Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests'

Messages in this thread

Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 06 Dec 09:37AM
     Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 10:15AM
         Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 06 Dec 10:25AM
         Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 11:15AM
             Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 11:18AM
                 Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 06 Dec 12:06PM
                     Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 09:57PM
                         Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 07 Dec 04:24PM
                             Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 07 Dec 10:39PM

Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by josephmills - 06 Dec 09:37AM
Hi,

I'm trying to tidy up a score using the Combine tied notes and rests plugin on v.8.6.1. I've used this plugin countless times before but for some reason, it is now taking a very, very long time to run. Sometimes it gets stuck working on a single bar for 5 minutes or more! So much so that I have to abandon the plugin.

The score is for organ and 2 x choruses. It is not overly complicated or intricate.

I've tried restarting etc and nothing seems to work.

Anybody else encounter this before?

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 06 Dec 10:15AM

Do you by any chance have the Inspector pinned?if so try closing it and try again.
--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by josephmills - 06 Dec 10:25AM
Thanks for this Bob.

I don't have the inspector pinned as it turns out.

I've also noticed that the content in the Trace Window when I run the plugin is moving very slowly, compared to usually when it moves at lightning speed.





>
> Do you by any chance have the Inspector pinned?if so try closing it and try again.
> --
> Bob
>
> An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
> For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
> For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 06 Dec 11:15AM
You might have a look at this thread: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=716652&groupid=3&words=slow%20plugins&name=

which is where the idea of the Inspector came from.

I actually think that if you have a lot of bars (say > 10,000 bars * staves) then the progress bars could be slowing it down as it did for other plugins mentioned in the above post.

I note that I tried this plugin on a large score in Sib 7.5 and Sib 6, and it is quite slow for such a large score there as well, so I don't think this is anything new with 8.6 though I am still investigating that aspect.

Combine Tied Notes and Rests (which I wrote, and which was the 2nd plugin I ever wrote) ships with Sibelius, and so while I think some simple things could be done to speed it up, it is not mine to mess with and the Sib guys would need to make changes in all languages. I will mention it to them, but don't get your hopes up.


bob
--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 06 Dec 11:18AM (edited 06 Dec 11:19AM)
The trace window goes very slow once it fills up and indeed it is often a source of slowness. As an experiment press the Clear button and see if it speeds up (you will lose the data, of course). Unfortunately writing to a log file can also be very slow if the writes are not buffered (and they are not in this case).

If you have a score you can send me to try, I will see if I can come up with any ideas. You can disguise it with the Disguise Score plugin if you like, but I will never let your score off my machine anyway...

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by josephmills - 06 Dec 12:06PM
Thank you for this. I ran the Disguise Score plug-in with the intention of sending it to you and tried the Combine tied notes/rests plug-in again and it was much quicker (took 5 minutes though). Previously I'd abandoned the process after 30+ minutes. Does this give us any clues to what might be the speed problem?

Also - I noticed this time around that it's only the very first 'Combined tied notes' process that is the very slow one. The 'combined rests' that follows it is very quick, as is the second 'combined tied notes' process. Not sure if this helps.


> The trace window goes very slow once it fills up and indeed it is often a source of slowness. As an experiment press the Clear button and see if it speeds up (you will lose the data, of course). Unfortunately writing to a log file can also be very slow if the writes are not buffered (and they are not in this case).
>
> If you have a score you can send me to try, I will see if I can come up with any ideas. You can disguise it with the Disguise Score plugin if you like, but I will never let your score off my machine anyway...
>
> --
> Bob
>
> An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
> For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
> For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 06 Dec 09:57PM (edited 07 Dec 05:22AM)
OK.

There are some problems involving the progress bars which could speed this plugin up substantially, but that would be something the Sib guys would need to do since it is their plugin.

However, there is also a significant Sib 8.x specific problem that is at least present in Sib 8.7.2, (and was not present in 7.5) which will slow the plugin down considerably.

In the plugin there is a variable called g_DoTrace2, which is a debugging flag, and it is set to True rather than False, and so it is dumping a huge amount of data to the trace window.

I have confirmed that this is only a problem with the English version of the plugin.

For those of you comfortable with editing a shipping plugin, you can change that variable and it will speed the plugin up considerably.
I can send a document describing the details for editing it if anyone cares. Email me for it, as I don't have a good place to post it i it is a PDF.

Even if this fix is made the plugin is slow on large scores, but it should be considerably less slow with the fix.

I have informed the Sib guys of this problem.

For now, this is what I might suggest.

1. Have the plugin write a log file and turn off the Write to Trace Window checkbox.

2. Run the plugin, and keep hitting the Clear button in the trace window. A full trace window really slows things down.

3. For this plugin, run it on subsections of the score, maybe a staff at a time.

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by josephmills - 07 Dec 04:24PM
Thank you for this Bob.

I've been trying it on one staff at a time but still very slow - haven't been able to complete a pass yet on one staff (the piece is only 170 bars long!).

When the plugin is running I can't click 'clear' on the trace window because the progress pop-up won't let me click anything behind it.

I really appreciate all your help - I will keep experimenting and let you know if I find any solutions.




> OK.
>
> There are some problems involving the progress bars which could speed this plugin up substantially, but that would be something the Sib guys would need to do since it is their plugin.
>
> However, there is also a significant Sib 8.x specific problem that is at least present in Sib 8.7.2, (and was not present in 7.5) which will slow the plugin down considerably.
>
> In the plugin there is a variable called g_DoTrace2, which is a debugging flag, and it is set to True rather than False, and so it is dumping a huge amount of data to the trace window.
>
> I have confirmed that this is only a problem with the English version of the plugin.
>
> For those of you comfortable with editing a shipping plugin, you can change that variable and it will speed the plugin up considerably.
> I can send a document describing the details for editing it if anyone cares. Email me for it, as I don't have a good place to post it i it is a PDF.
>
> Even if this fix is made the plugin is slow on large scores, but it should be considerably less slow with the fix.
>
> I have informed the Sib guys of this problem.
>
> For now, this is what I might suggest.
>
> 1. Have the plugin write a log file and turn off the Write to Trace Window checkbox.
>
> 2. Run the plugin, and keep hitting the Clear button in the trace window. A full trace window really slows things down.
>
> 3. For this plugin, run it on subsections of the score, maybe a staff at a time.
>
> --
> Bob
>
> An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
> For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
> For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 
Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 07 Dec 10:39PM
On Windows 10, I can drag the trace window away and so am able to click on it. You might try going to File >Plug-ins > Show Plugin Trace Window before running the plugin, and drag it off to a side. The button should be accessible, but you may not be able to click it.

The debug flag does dump a huge amount of data to the trace window and that is very slow.

I can mail you instructions for fixing the plugin if you like.

If you have a chance to send me the disguised copy of your score, it could be useful for testing.

You might also consider exporting to an earlier version and running the plugin there. It was OK in 7.5, but I don't know when it changed in the 8.x version. I am guessing the plugin was changed when Magnetic Glisses were added in 8.6 and that may have been when the problem was introduced.



--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Back to top | All threads
 

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 06 Dec 09:37AM
     Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 10:15AM
         Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 06 Dec 10:25AM
         Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 11:15AM
             Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 11:18AM
                 Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 06 Dec 12:06PM
                     Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 06 Dec 09:57PM
                         Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - josephmills, 07 Dec 04:24PM
                             Re: Slow plugin: Combine tied notes and rests - Bob Zawalich, 07 Dec 10:39PM