Messages in this thread

Setting Up Template - Dizz, 30 Nov 11:40PM
     Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 30 Nov 11:58PM
         Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 01 Dec 12:07AM
             Re: Setting Up Template - Adrian Drover, 01 Dec 12:53AM
                 Re: Setting Up Template - Laurence Payne, 01 Dec 12:51PM
                     Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 05:21PM
                         Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 01 Dec 06:16PM
                             Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 01 Dec 06:17PM
                                 Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 06:42PM
                                     Re: Setting Up Template - Adrian Drover, 01 Dec 07:29PM
                                         Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 07:36PM
                                         Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 08:07PM
                                         Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 08:28PM
                                             Re: Setting Up Template - Adrian Drover, 02 Dec 12:02AM
                                                 Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 02 Dec 05:53PM
                                                     Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 02 Dec 05:54PM

Setting Up Template
Posted by Dizz - 30 Nov 11:40PM
Has something changed with 8.x in setting up a template? Title and other text doesn't show up in either the score (copyright and composer text) or parts (add title to the list). Or am I just stupid and can't find the right button to push?

Thanks
Attachment Opening Salvo.sib (92K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Setting Up Template
Posted by Robin Walker - 30 Nov 11:58PM
What do you mean by "template"? There is no such concept in Sibelius. Please explain what you are trying to achieve.

--
Sibelius 8.7/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Robin Walker - 01 Dec 12:07AM
In the score you attached:

1. The apparent score title is in Technique Text (so it will not appear in Parts) when it should be in Title Text style;

2. No Composer or Copyright text has ever been added to the score.

--
Sibelius 8.7/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Adrian Drover - 01 Dec 12:53AM
Attached template with required texts.
Attachment template.sib (219K)

Posted by Laurence Payne - 01 Dec 12:51PM
Templates in Sibelius are called 'Manuscript Papers'.

Posted by Dizz - 01 Dec 05:21PM
Forget the template issue. Here's another file. As concerns instrument names, please tell me why the Flugel/Trumpet instrument names in the dynamic parts show up as they do. I want it to read "Trumpet X" and in smaller font below "Dbl Flugel". And it would be nice if I didn't have to do it in each individual part. Soprano 1 is set up as I want the part to look. There's something here about text I'm missing completely after using Sibelius for a couple of years. No other software I've used over the last 20 yrs as ever puzzled me so much. The Reference Guide and tutorials are no help.

Thanks for setting me straight.

P.S. -- I'm just starting to format the score and parts so things are not all complete yet.
Attachment Eleven-Twenty-Two.sib (136K)

Posted by Robin Walker - 01 Dec 06:16PM
The names in the Dynamic Parts appear the way that they do because that is how they are defined by wildcards from the data in the Backstage area of File -> Info.

For information on how to incorporate formatting instructions embedded in wildcards see page 540 of the Sibelius Reference for Sibelius 8.7. (The page number will vary according to Sibelius version.) You can code changes of font size in the wildcards.

--

Posted by Robin Walker - 01 Dec 06:17PM
By the way, it's a really bad idea to have multiple Parts with the same Name. It's best to distinguish the Parts with a unique name for each, even if the only difference is a 1, 2, 3, 4.

--

Posted by Dizz - 01 Dec 06:42PM
Thank you for all the help. Now that I have some time I'll dig into this and learn. Or maybe I'll just start drinking heavily. It won't help but eventually I won't care.😀

Posted by Adrian Drover - 01 Dec 07:29PM
I don't know how you got into such a mess, Dizz, but Score Info for your 1st trumpet/flügel shows the following instrument changes:

"Soprano Sax 1\n\Alto Sax 2\n\Tenor Sax 1\n\Tenor Sax 2\n\Bari. Sax.\n\Flugelhorn\n\Trumpet in B^b\n\Flugelhorn\n\Trumpet in B^b\n\Flugelhorn\n\Trumpet in B^b\n\Flugelhorn\n\Trumpet in B^b\n\Trombone 1\n\Trombone 2\n\Trombone 3\n\Bass Trombone\n\Percussion\n\Electric Guitar\n\Electric Piano\n\Bass Guitar\n\Drums"

How on earth did you you manage that? I would suggest starting again from a new big band template.

Posted by Dizz - 01 Dec 07:36PM
I've no idea. It's obvious I have issues with understanding how text works in Sibelius.

Posted by Dizz - 01 Dec 08:07PM
I've thrown away the "manuscript paper" from which the doc was created and I'll start again by going over ALL documentation in the reference guide about text to be sure I understand it. That template was made when I first began with Sibelius several years ago so who knows what happened. If you wish to offer any suggestions please, please do so.

Posted by Dizz - 01 Dec 08:28PM
Here's a brand new score never touched by human hands. Is the text correct?

Thanks for help.
Attachment Opening Salvo.sib (140K)

Posted by Adrian Drover - 02 Dec 12:02AM
Why are you not using wildcards?

Posted by Dizz - 02 Dec 05:53PM
I'm not intentionally using wildcards. I mistakenly sent an old file. Here's the correct one.

Posted by Dizz - 02 Dec 05:54PM
Ah, s@#t. I forgot to send file.
Attachment Opening Salvo_7.sib (140K)

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Setting Up Template - Dizz, 30 Nov 11:40PM
     Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 30 Nov 11:58PM
         Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 01 Dec 12:07AM
             Re: Setting Up Template - Adrian Drover, 01 Dec 12:53AM
                 Re: Setting Up Template - Laurence Payne, 01 Dec 12:51PM
                     Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 05:21PM
                         Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 01 Dec 06:16PM
                             Re: Setting Up Template - Robin Walker, 01 Dec 06:17PM
                                 Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 06:42PM
                                     Re: Setting Up Template - Adrian Drover, 01 Dec 07:29PM
                                         Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 07:36PM
                                         Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 08:07PM
                                         Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 01 Dec 08:28PM
                                             Re: Setting Up Template - Adrian Drover, 02 Dec 12:02AM
                                                 Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 02 Dec 05:53PM
                                                     Re: Setting Up Template - Dizz, 02 Dec 05:54PM