'Sib. 6.x: fermata notation'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - Philip Jones, 28 Nov 05:41PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - Philip Jones, 29 Nov 01:41PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - James, 29 Nov 04:07PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - Laurence Payne, 29 Nov 04:34PM

Sib. 6.x: fermata notation
Posted by Philip Jones - 28 Nov 05:41PM (edited 29 Nov 01:43PM)
I attach a three bar example taken from a current work. I want the last bar to end with a rit and the last note in each stave to be sustained an extra beat (one crotchet length). As I have written it, it is clearly clumsy, probably wrong, but how should it be done.

To get it to play back, how would an indication that the violins should continue the tremolo be shown as they would probably have to play more notes than are actually written. I accept that I might have to accept that that can't be done.

PS. I see that gremlins have removed the tremolo, but if they were there . . . . Also, there should be some indication of the fermata on the cello and DB.

--
Sib 8.6 including 7 sounds, ThinkPad T410, SSD, 8GB 64-bit Windows 10 Pro. Scarlett Focusrite Solo. 2nd gen.
----------
Sib 6.2 upgrade build 88, Sibelius Player Essentials, Sibelius Sounds Gold, Kontakt Player available. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio mode. Vista SP2, ASUS P5B-VM motherboard, 3GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 1GB DDR2, 250GB SATA.
Attachment fermata notation.sib (313K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.x: fermata notation
Posted by Philip Jones - 29 Nov 01:41PM

--
Sib 8.6 including 7 sounds, ThinkPad T410, SSD, 8GB 64-bit Windows 10 Pro. Scarlett Focusrite Solo. 2nd gen.
----------
Sib 6.2 upgrade build 88, Sibelius Player Essentials, Sibelius Sounds Gold, Kontakt Player available. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio mode. Vista SP2, ASUS P5B-VM motherboard, 3GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 1GB DDR2, 250GB SATA.

Posted by James - 29 Nov 04:07PM
For a rit., Create>Line...>System Lines and select a rit. line.
To make a fermata play back longer, select the note the fermata is attached to, from the Properties window choose the Playback section, change the fermata duration from 100 to a larger percent.

To learn these and other exciting basics, click the question mark in the toolbar to get the Sibelius Reference, a fun thing to read, and comes with a great index at the end.

--
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
Sibelius 6.2

Posted by Laurence Payne - 29 Nov 04:34PM (edited 29 Nov 04:36PM)
If you want a rit, write a rit. If you want an extra beat, write an extra beat. Not sure what you mean by the tremolo?

You could put a fermata on all the extended last notes. In fact, I will. But, if you were being precise when you said you wanted an extra crotchet, write precisely that!

Your initial idea of scattered fermatas isn't, I think, the answer.
Attachment Capture.PNG.png (102K)

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - Philip Jones, 28 Nov 05:41PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - Philip Jones, 29 Nov 01:41PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - James, 29 Nov 04:07PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: fermata notation - Laurence Payne, 29 Nov 04:34PM