'Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in bracket'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in bracket - seanhamiltonmusic, 27 Nov 09:28PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Antony Beaumont, 29 Nov 04:50PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Robin Walker, 29 Nov 05:01PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Bob Zawalich, 29 Nov 07:26PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Adrian Drover, 30 Nov 09:25AM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Robin Walker, 30 Nov 11:21AM

Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in bracket
Posted by seanhamiltonmusic - 27 Nov 09:28PM
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with this as I can't figure it out for the life of me (perhaps it is not possible).

I am looking to spell complex tuplets using a number and note in the bracket. For instance, 7:half note. I've attached an example.

I know that Sibelius has three ways to spell tuplets and that one way is with a number and a number and note (it will spell the above as 7:4 eightnote or 7:8 sixteenth note) and that is close but NOT what I am looking for.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? I am using Sibelius 7.5.

Thank you!
Sean

Sean Hamilton
percussionist/composer/improviser
www.seanhamiltonmusic.com
Attachment Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 4.25.13 PM.png (367K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in bracket
Posted by Antony Beaumont - 29 Nov 04:50PM
The silence on this issue has been very loud. Four days, and still no reaction from the Forum pundits.

Sean, I read your post and tried everything I could think of, but this is clearly something that Sibelius can't do, at least not out of the box. Everything would have to be hand-drawn. Hide the original tuplet lines and draw your own by hand, type in each combination of numbers and symbols as text, then place each one carefully within the hand-drawn triplet lines. Depending on the length of the piece, it could take a long time.

Posted by Robin Walker - 29 Nov 05:01PM
This question was comprehensively answered in the Sibelius Power Users Forum on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/323691061147132/permalink/814425335407033/

--
Sibelius 8.7/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 29 Nov 07:26PM
Robin - could you please copy the answer here for the benefit of people who might not be on Facebook? (You need to log in to see it there).

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2017.
For plugin lookup and categories see http://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Posted by Adrian Drover - 30 Nov 09:25AM
If you hang on, maybe Donald Trump will re-tweet it.

Posted by Robin Walker - 30 Nov 11:21AM (edited 30 Nov 11:22AM)
> could you please copy the answer here for the benefit of people who might not be on Facebook?

You will need to create custom lines.

Go to edit text styles/ select Tuplet/ click new
See Pic1

name it "tuplet ratio" or whatever you want, change the tracking to "4"
See Pic2

Make sure to check "erase background"
See Pic3

Go to edit lines, select the bracket from the staff lines panel and hit "new".
See Pic4

Rename your new line
- centered text
- select the new text style you created (e.g. Tuplet Ratio)
- tap "5:q" (q = quarter, e = 8th, h = half, w = whole)
- change the "spaces up" to "-0.5"
- hit ok
See Pic5

Repeat the same procedure as much as you need to cover the tuplets that you encountered in the score, you will have them thus added to the lines panel and can access them via "L" as usual.
See Pic6

--
Sibelius 8.7/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.
Attachments Pic1.jpg (28K), Pic2.jpg (49K), Pic3.jpg (36K), Pic4.jpg (24K), Pic5.jpg (37K), Pic6.jpg (27K)

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in bracket - seanhamiltonmusic, 27 Nov 09:28PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Antony Beaumont, 29 Nov 04:50PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Robin Walker, 29 Nov 05:01PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Bob Zawalich, 29 Nov 07:26PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Adrian Drover, 30 Nov 09:25AM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: Tuplets with number and note in b... - Robin Walker, 30 Nov 11:21AM