'notating a jazz drum set'

Messages in this thread

notating a jazz drum set - Joe Hostetter, 26 Nov 03:14AM
     Re: notating a jazz drum set - Adrian Drover, 26 Nov 08:59AM
         Re: notating a jazz drum set - Joe Hostetter, 06 Dec 01:06AM
             Re: notating a jazz drum set - Joe Hostetter, 06 Dec 01:39AM
                 Re: notating a jazz drum set - Adrian Drover, 06 Dec 08:02AM
                     Re: notating a jazz drum set - Mike Lyons, 06 Dec 02:48PM
                         Re: notating a jazz drum set - Adrian Drover, 06 Dec 03:56PM

notating a jazz drum set
Posted by Joe Hostetter - 26 Nov 03:14AM
I can't find any instructions anywhere on how to enter drum set notation with X for pedal high hat at the D space below the staff on 2 & 4 and ride cymbal at the top line with an X. In the "manual?", "Introduction to Sibelius", I found the Default Drum Map in Appendix B but no instructions on how to enter. I have used Finale for 20 years scoring big band charts and find it easy to look for information unlike Sibelius that I am new to.

Attachment I Can't Give, Inc.sib (68K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: notating a jazz drum set
Posted by Adrian Drover - 26 Nov 08:59AM (edited 26 Nov 09:11AM)
Your file edited & attached. I have assigned your ride and pedal hat to notehead #1 and they are playing OK. To do this yourself, Joe, select a notehead and hit alt/shft/1. Your drum map is OK.

PS. Use the top row numbers, not the keypad. Or select from Notations/Noteheads/Type.
Attachment I Can't Give Ed drums, Inc.sib (68K)

Posted by Joe Hostetter - 06 Dec 01:06AM (edited 06 Dec 01:25AM)
The file that you attached worked but I don't know how you set it up to work or how I would set it up in the future. In Finale, it is easy to setup layers and select upward stem directions for the ride cymbal. When I added more ride cymbal notes, the stems pointed down. You had them pointing up but I don't know how you did it. I have had to do a lot of reading to find isolated topics like layers. Sibelius should have instructions on how to write a drum set staff but they don't. They should also have a manual of instructions for long time Finale users to help them to do the same things in Sibelius. Support has cancelled my subscription because I complained about their lies about the cost of the "annual" subscription. They meant Monthly but did not state that in the sign-up.

Posted by Joe Hostetter - 06 Dec 01:39AM (edited 06 Dec 01:46AM)
One more thing:
Does the command: alt/shift/1 mean change the note head to an X? If so, where could I have found this command definition in a manual, a help document, or the menu bar? How did you "set it up"?

Posted by Adrian Drover - 06 Dec 08:02AM
Notations/Noteheads/Type to change notehead.
Home/Instruments/EditInstruments/EditInstrument/EditStaffType to edit drum map. The latter is already set up in your score to your requirements.
Search for "edit noteheads" in the Sibelius Reference, but you don't need to go there as I've already told you where it is on the ribbon and given you the shortcut for notehead #1 which is the one you require.

Posted by Mike Lyons - 06 Dec 02:48PM
[alt][shift]number will allow you to change the note head to any available in the list on the ribbon. In my manuel it's covered in chapter 4.11, pp. 383 ff.

"Me, I know nothing! I from BarTHelona!" :-D

--
Win 10 Pro x64, 1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, 8GB,7TB 7200rpm HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2,7.5, 8.7.0 NotePerformer, GPO4 & 5, COMB2, EWQLSO Plat, EWQLSC,
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Posted by Adrian Drover - 06 Dec 03:56PM
┬┐Que?

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

notating a jazz drum set - Joe Hostetter, 26 Nov 03:14AM
     Re: notating a jazz drum set - Adrian Drover, 26 Nov 08:59AM
         Re: notating a jazz drum set - Joe Hostetter, 06 Dec 01:06AM
             Re: notating a jazz drum set - Joe Hostetter, 06 Dec 01:39AM
                 Re: notating a jazz drum set - Adrian Drover, 06 Dec 08:02AM
                     Re: notating a jazz drum set - Mike Lyons, 06 Dec 02:48PM
                         Re: notating a jazz drum set - Adrian Drover, 06 Dec 03:56PM