'Cloud sharing: first impressions'

Messages in this thread

Cloud sharing: first impressions - Antony Beaumont, 02 Oct 08:19PM
     Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Sam at Sibelius, 02 Oct 10:18PM
         Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Antony Beaumont, 03 Oct 07:58PM
             Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Sam at Sibelius, 03 Oct 08:20PM
                 Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Heggu, 07 Dec 10:34PM

Cloud sharing: first impressions
Posted by Antony Beaumont - 02 Oct 08:19PM
So far I have uploaded a few files for large orchestra and one vocal chamber-work. Everything works smoothly, but since this is Version 1 there's plenty of room for improvement.

In my experience, the system can't yet cope with longer files. Scores of 8-12 pages are processed in a few minutes, but a score ten times that length never gets beyond "Please wait while your score is being prepared" (even after running it for over an hour).

The result is optically pleasing, but would perhaps look more like real sheet music if the pages were outlined with a bounding box.

Playback works fine -- with the usual caveats: turn up the volume to hear passages marked piano, and the forte ones will blast you out of your chair.

All the same: bravo for such an enterprising and potentially invaluable addition to Sibelius. I look forward to real file sharing, i.e. where two or more users can edit content and publish their changes. If that's asking too much, allowing viewers to add commentaries to a score would be a very useful feature.

Back to top | All threads

Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions
Posted by Sam at Sibelius - 02 Oct 10:18PM
Hi Antony,

Many thanks for the feedback. Could you email me a score you're having a problem sharing?

Sam

--
Sam Butler | Product Manager | Sibelius
sam.butler@avid.com | @avid_sam | @AvidSibelius

Contact the Sibelius support team:
www.sibelius.com/documents/contact_form.html

KB and other resources:
www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Antony Beaumont - 03 Oct 07:58PM
Sunday 3 October, 21:56 CET the Avid Cloud is down. Too much traffic? Or just a glitch?

Posted by Sam at Sibelius - 03 Oct 08:20PM
Looks like it's up form our side. Email me the details and I'll ask the CloudOps team to look into it.

--
Sam Butler | Product Manager | Sibelius
sam.butler@avid.com | @avid_sam | @AvidSibelius

Contact the Sibelius support team:
www.sibelius.com/documents/contact_form.html

KB and other resources:
www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Heggu - 07 Dec 10:34PM
Thank you for this new feature!
However, this was supposed to be a replacement to Scorch and good news to all of people who don't have an iPad. But so far it is waiting for fulfill that promise.. But the start is promising!

There's missing a possibility to change volume of individual part, show only one part, change tempo, and at this point, transpose and print. They were all the qualities that made Scorch so good in teaching etc. So I still have to continue on exporting Sibelius file on to MusicXML file and open and save it in certain open source software that provide application that works in most platforms, and I have no use of Cloud sharing at this point.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Cloud sharing: first impressions - Antony Beaumont, 02 Oct 08:19PM
     Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Sam at Sibelius, 02 Oct 10:18PM
         Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Antony Beaumont, 03 Oct 07:58PM
             Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Sam at Sibelius, 03 Oct 08:20PM
                 Re: Cloud sharing: first impressions - Heggu, 07 Dec 10:34PM