Messages in this thread

Mac OS High Sierra - Greg Jones, 11 Jul 06:09PM
     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Sam at Sibelius, 11 Jul 10:32PM
         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - wammer, 03 Oct 12:50PM
             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Philip Woodroffe, 03 Oct 06:18PM
                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Sam at Sibelius, 03 Oct 08:37PM
                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Simon Winslade, 11 Nov 09:27PM
                         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 11 Nov 10:15PM
                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - John Melby, 13 Nov 01:58PM
                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - kevingunther, 13 Nov 08:03PM
                                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 13 Nov 08:23PM
                                         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Bob Shaw, 15 Nov 01:47PM
                                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 15 Nov 02:40PM
                                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Bob Shaw, 16 Nov 09:10AM
                                                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 16 Nov 02:51PM
                                                         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Sam at Sibelius, 16 Nov 05:11PM
                                                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Philip Woodroffe, 18 Nov 09:54AM
                                                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 18 Nov 12:46PM
                                                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - David Alderton, 29 Nov 10:04PM
                                                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Robin Walker, 29 Nov 10:14PM
                                                                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - David Alderton, 30 Nov 12:23PM

Mac OS High Sierra
Posted by Greg Jones - 11 Jul 06:09PM (edited 11 Jul 09:59PM)
As many Mac users know, Apple has announced that they are planning to release their new OS update, High Sierra, this fall. A preview for it can be found at https://www.apple.com/macos/high-sierra-preview/. I think that might not be an issue when running with Sibelius 8.6, but are there any thoughts about it?

--
Sibelius 8.4.2, MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010), MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), macOS Version 10.12 Sierra, Logic Pro, Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 and 5, Notion 6, Garritan Jazz Ensemble/Big Band 3, Garritan Concert and Marching Band 2, EastWest Composer Cloud, Note Performer 1.5.0, 8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 on MacBook Pro and 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 on MacBook Air, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 on MacBook Pro and 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 on MacBook Air, WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB, Yamaha Motif XF8

Back to top | All threads

Re: Mac OS High Sierra
Posted by Sam at Sibelius - 11 Jul 10:32PM
Early builds of High Sierra have had problems with all MIDI/Audio applications, so it's best to steer clear for now. It also comes with Apple's most recent File System, APFS, which by default is case sensitive. This will require us to make some changes in our Sibelius Player so it can load sounds correctly.

For now, we don't recommend trying out High Sierra. We will post official compatibility notices soon.

Sam

--
Sam Butler | Product Manager | Sibelius
sam.butler@avid.com | @avid_sam | @AvidSibelius

Contact the Sibelius support team:
www.sibelius.com/documents/contact_form.html

KB and other resources:
www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by wammer - 03 Oct 12:50PM
I cannot believe that once again we are forced to wait for Sibelius to be updated before upgrading to High Sierra. Developers have months to work with beta versions so why does the final release always seem to take Avid by surprise?

Posted by Philip Woodroffe - 03 Oct 06:18PM (edited 03 Oct 06:20PM)
to be fair, i reckon there will be lots of programs that are not ready for high sierra, you may be lucky and they just work, but until the proper production version you can't really be sure that everything will work, Although i expect avid probably won't be long on making an update, seeing as some months ago, sam posted a message before high sierra, that sibelius sounds would have problems with apfs and there is also a workaround, but of course don't forget that doesn't mean all of sibelius will work on high sierra either.

just one more thing, i have no idea if note performer will work at present, and although arne is very quick to push an update there has been no word from him either for the moment.

Im in no rush to update atm apart from the fact I'm hoping they have fixed the atrocious bluetooth drivers. which need resetting regularly.
--
macbook pro i7 non retina 2.9ghz 16gb ram 10.12.5 Sierra and windows 10. 1TB SSD boot drive, 2tb storage drive. noteperformer

sib 6.2.0 and sib 7.1.3 and 7.5.1 and 8.6

old macbook thingy! el capitan test computer with sibelius 6 7.1 7,5 (8 demo) and note performer.

sibelius choral and garitan personal orchestra.
(aria 4). east west symphonic east west symphonic orchestra with johnathan loving sound sets photoscore 7.2. note performer

musescore noteworthy melody assistant and virtual singer.

Posted by Sam at Sibelius - 03 Oct 08:37PM
We're continuing to qualify macOS High Sierra. We're hoping we don't need to make any changes to Sibelius now since the default format for APFS is case-insensitive. We'll post news as we have it.

Sam

--

KB and other resources:
www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Simon Winslade - 11 Nov 09:27PM
Without thinking I updated one of the Macs I use to run Sibelius (8.6.1) to High Sierra. Fortunately Sibelius does run and I'm able to load and edit my orchestral works without any problem (yet, anyway). However, I haven't yet checked to see whether playback works as I use Sibelius to score only on one Mac and Pro Tools on another to compose.
There's a problem with Application Support though in that it now won't run, so a downloadable fix is needed for this.
My advice is to steer clear for now. If problems arise I'll reinstall Sierra. Hope this helps.

Posted by James - 11 Nov 10:15PM (edited 11 Nov 10:22PM)
Simon, I think you mean the Application Manager when you say, "Application Support?" If so, there is an update for the Application Manager that you get by opening Application Manager, choosing it and clicking update. If you are unable to do this, you can download the Application Manager directly by logging into your account: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/How_To/How-to-download-Sibelius

It would be most interesting if you get a chance to try playback on your High Sierra machine, especially using Sibelius Sounds. Thank you!

--
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
Sibelius 6.2

Posted by John Melby - 13 Nov 01:58PM
I've been using Sibelius 8.7 with High Sierra for some time and have had zero problems. I use NotePerformer, so the situation may be different with other sound libraries. But so far, for me, at least, it runs like a top!

--
Sibelius 8.7, NotePerformer 2.02, Mac OS 10.13.1, iMac i7 3.6GHz, 32 GB RAM

Posted by kevingunther - 13 Nov 08:03PM
Do you have a Fusion Drive, HDD, or SSD?

Have you tried to playback using Sibelius sounds?

Thanks in Advance!

-KG

Posted by James - 13 Nov 08:23PM
John Melby has stated in another thread that his boot drive is a fusion drive. Therefore his installation of High Sierra doesn't include APFS and he is not a guinea pig for whether Sib Sounds work with it.

--
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
Sibelius 6.2

Posted by Bob Shaw - 15 Nov 01:47PM
I gambled and updated to High Sierra. My Sibelius 7.5 works just fine. In fact, the whole operating system seems to work better as does Sibelius. My use of Sibelius, however,is limited to keyboard note inputting and use of Sibelius sounds. No video use. Caution may be wise if you are an extensive user!

Posted by James - 15 Nov 02:40PM
Thank you, Bob Shaw, for your report. Do you have an SSD for your boot drive?

--
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
Sibelius 6.2

Posted by Bob Shaw - 16 Nov 09:10AM
This is the spec.for my 27in iMac mid 2011. https://support.apple.com/kb/SP689?locale=en_GB.

Posted by James - 16 Nov 02:51PM (edited 16 Nov 02:52PM)
So, Bob Shaw, it looks like you have a traditional hard drive. Therefore, your installation of High Sierra does not include APFS, Apple's new file system. I'm glad High Sierra is working well for you. However, the question some of us have is whether APFS is problematic for Sib, in particular for playing Sibelius Sounds. That question remains unanswered.

--
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
Sibelius 6.2

Posted by Sam at Sibelius - 16 Nov 05:11PM
Compatibility with High Sierra has been announced with the Sibelius 8.7.2 release. As long as you don't format your hard drive with case-sensitivity, Sibelius will run well. We have only qualified Sibelius and Sibelius First 8.7.2 on High Sierra, but earlier version of Sibelius may still run well.

Sam

--

KB and other resources:
www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Philip Woodroffe - 18 Nov 09:54AM (edited 18 Nov 09:55AM)
I have a mac with an ssd as a boot drive (converted automatically to apfs) and it has an internal spinny drive in the dvd bay, I can confirm that sibelius 6 and 7 sounds work flawlessly, sibelius seems to load up much quicker, and note performer works great as expected. (ps sibelius and 6,7 sounds and note performer all installed on ssd drive)

I am happy with this os update so far, managed to back up all my system effortlessly as i do whenever i install a new os. and so far at least they seem to have fixed the atrocious bluetooth issues.

The new sibelius 8.7.2 seems very stable, nice work avid thank you very much for a very timely update.

--
macbook pro i7 non retina 2.9ghz 16gb ram 10.13.1 high Sierra and windows 10. 1TB SSD boot drive, 2tb storage drive. noteperformer

sib 6.2.0 and sib 7.1.3 and 7.5.1 and 8.7.2

old macbook thingy! el capitan test computer with sibelius 6 7.1 7,5 (8 demo) and note performer.

sibelius choral and garitan personal orchestra.
(aria 4). east west symphonic east west symphonic orchestra with johnathan loving sound sets photoscore 7.2. note performer

musescore noteworthy melody assistant and virtual singer.

Posted by James - 18 Nov 12:46PM
Thank you, Philip, for everything you do!

--
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
Sibelius 6.2

Posted by David Alderton - 29 Nov 10:04PM
I am considering purchasing a new MacBook Pro laptop. It will come with High Sierra. In this situation will the default setting be case-insensitive?
If not, is it difficult to change to case-insensitive setting? I ask this because in the announcement regarding suitability of running Sibelius on High Sierra, it was stated that the default setting was case-insensitive and I questioned whether this was in reference to an upgrade from an older version OSX or a new computer with High Sierra installed.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you so much.

David Alderton

Posted by Robin Walker - 29 Nov 10:14PM
The default is case-insensitive. The only way to change it to case-sensitive is to reformat the entire disk.

--
Sibelius 8.7/7.5.1/7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 8.8.2, Dolet 6.6 for Sibelius, Windows 10 64-bit 16GB. Desktop, and Microsoft Surface Book.

Posted by David Alderton - 30 Nov 12:23PM
Thank you, Robin.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Mac OS High Sierra - Greg Jones, 11 Jul 06:09PM
     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Sam at Sibelius, 11 Jul 10:32PM
         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - wammer, 03 Oct 12:50PM
             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Philip Woodroffe, 03 Oct 06:18PM
                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Sam at Sibelius, 03 Oct 08:37PM
                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Simon Winslade, 11 Nov 09:27PM
                         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 11 Nov 10:15PM
                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - John Melby, 13 Nov 01:58PM
                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - kevingunther, 13 Nov 08:03PM
                                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 13 Nov 08:23PM
                                         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Bob Shaw, 15 Nov 01:47PM
                                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 15 Nov 02:40PM
                                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Bob Shaw, 16 Nov 09:10AM
                                                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 16 Nov 02:51PM
                                                         Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Sam at Sibelius, 16 Nov 05:11PM
                                                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Philip Woodroffe, 18 Nov 09:54AM
                                                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - James, 18 Nov 12:46PM
                                                             Re: Mac OS High Sierra - David Alderton, 29 Nov 10:04PM
                                                                 Re: Mac OS High Sierra - Robin Walker, 29 Nov 10:14PM
                                                                     Re: Mac OS High Sierra - David Alderton, 30 Nov 12:23PM