'Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable plugin: Dot Undot Rhythm'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable plugin... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 08:40AM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Nicholas Freestone, 18 Apr 11:28AM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Morabito, 18 Apr 11:44AM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Flare, 18 Apr 12:50PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Laurence Payne, 18 Apr 01:45PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 03:58PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Patrick O'Keefe, 18 Apr 06:11PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Rob Tuley, 18 Apr 07:43PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Steve, 19 Apr 01:41AM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 02:37AM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 03:46PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 18 Apr 04:23PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 04:30PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 18 Apr 04:46PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 05:12PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 04:57PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 18 Apr 05:49PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Patrick O'Keefe, 18 Apr 06:06PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Chris Crawley, 18 Apr 06:57PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 07:50PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Morabito, 18 Apr 09:11PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - lj, 18 Apr 09:43PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Laurence Payne, 18 Apr 10:32PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 11:50PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Robert Enns, 19 Apr 01:54AM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 02:50AM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Robert Enns, 19 Apr 02:58AM
                                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 05:26AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 03:51PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - lj, 19 Apr 08:23PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 11:05PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Robert Enns, 19 Apr 11:27PM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 11:40PM

Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable plugin: Dot Undot Rhythm
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 08:40AM (edited 23 Apr 06:47PM)
A new downloadble plugin, Dot Undot Rhythms, is available for free download at http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?plugin=536, in category Notes and Rests.

Given a passage selection, the plugin determines that certain adjacent notes are pairs. If the pairs have the same duration, the plugin will dot the first note and divide the duration of the second note in half. If the notes are a dotted pair, it will make the notes the same duration, thus undotting the pair.

(EDIT: this is no longer true)
IMPORTANT: This plugins calls the downloadable Divide Durations plugin (category Notes and Rests), so you must also install Divide Durations, version 01.60.00 or later to use this plugin.

There are some restrictions. Do not run the plugin if your selection contains cross staff beamed notes, because the plugin cannot detect them and if they are changed the notes will lose their cross staff beamed property. (The same limitation is true for Divide Durations. A plugin can neither detect nor create cross staff beamed notes).

The plugin processes a bar at a time and it will skip any bars that contain tuplets, grace notes, quartertones or double tremolos.

There is no dialog. Just make a selection and run the plugin.

This plugin was inspired by, and is dedicated to, Daniel Spreadbury

Ok, so you might think, oh Bob has written yet another obscure plugin. Look again. Check out the screenshot.

I saw an amazing demo from Daniel Spreadbury for his new notation program from Steinberg. (Daniel, as many know, was the long-time Sibelius program manager who was fired in 2012 along with the entire Sibelius development team. Steinberg hired the entire team to write a new notation product).

You can see the demo following Chris' link on this thread:

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=694212&groupid=3&words=steinberg&name=

The demo showed him selecting a bunch of notes and hitting the dot key, and all the selected 8th notes were transformed to dotted 8th/16th pairs. I watched this in disbelief.

Doing such a transformation in Sibelius is a royal pain.

I had previously considered writing a plugin to make it easier to make dotted rhythms but it would be very hard to write, and I figured you would have to select the pair of notes to change and it would not be all that much better than doing what you had to do by hand to make a dotted pair (turn the 2nd note into half its duration, type R, dot the first note). But here he was just selecting a bunch of notes and hitting one key, and boom everything was dotted.

For a notation geek, this sort of thing is stunning.

So I figured that if he can do that, there must be a way that it can be done, so I set out to see how to do that. I discovered a way to determine if a given note was a possible first note for a dotted pair, and then everything became possible, sort of. ManuScript, the plugin language, has no mechanism for changing the duration of a note. You have to rather intricately gather properties of both the chord and all its notes, then delete the original notes and add in new ones. I realized that my Divide Durations plugin did something like that, and I was able to tweak it a bit so it would do what I needed it to do.

(EDIT: this is no longer true)
It is important to note that you will need to install the current version of Divide Durations as well (http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?plugin=300, category Notes and Rests) to run Dot Undot Rhythms. Divide Durations is also a cool plugin so you will not regret installing it.

Dot Undot Rhythms looks at the selected notes and figures out which notes could be the first note of a dotted pair. If the following note has the right duration it will dot the first and halve the second, or vice versa. It toggles the state of the notes. Try assigning a shortcut to Dot Undot Rhythms, selecting a bunch of notes and hitting the shortcut over and over.

Tell me this is not poetry. Tell me you could do the same thing in Lilypond with 4 obscure lines of code. I don't care. This is a beautiful thing. Consider doing this by hand.

Yeah, it won't deal with quartertones or gracenotes or tuplets (which it could do but I am not putting in the work to do it). The turtle is flying but it is not all that graceful. Hit the shortcut a few more times. Pretty fine flying, Mr. Turtle.

I asked Daniel for permission to publish this plugin, since it was totally his idea. As was the Bravura font that Finale and Musescore now use, and which we in Sibelius can access through Philip Rothman's Norfolk fonts. He agreed that once he makes an idea public it is fair game and he would not hate me if I published it. So here it is.

Go ahead and select a bunch of notes in a passage (box) selection and let it rip. Within its limitations it is a thing of beauty.

And oh, yeah, you should check out Daniel's Making Notes blog (http://blog.steinberg.net/) that discusses the new Steinberg project. It will be incredible. This plugin is dedicated to Daniel. Great idea, Daniel! Thanks!

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit, 8 G RAM. Year 2016.
Attachment DotUndot Example 2.png (64K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable plugin: Dot Undot Rhythm
Posted by Nicholas Freestone - 18 Apr 11:28AM
Bob, this is insanely wonderful. Many thanks indeed!

--
Mac Mini, OS X 10.11.4, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, Sibelius 7.5.1

Posted by Bob Morabito - 18 Apr 11:44AM
>I asked Daniel for permission to publish this plugin, since it was totally his idea. As was the Bravura font that Finale and Musescore now use, and which we in Sibelius can access through Philip Rothman's Norfolk fonts. He agreed that once he makes an idea public it is fair game and he would not hate me if I published it. So here it is.
>

YIKES!! Steinberg is in direct competition with Sibelius. And for some users, allowing this plugin/feature in Sib at this time--albeit a small feature-makes for them possibly one less reason to buy Steinberg's new program and one more to stick with Sibelius.

I dont know the logic or fairness of this, but Im sure Daniel knows whats hes doing though.

Thanks Bob
--
Bob Morabito
Sib 5.2.5, 6.2, 7.1.3. 7.5.1
Fin 2014.5
Mac OS 10.9.5 iMac 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD

https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Posted by Flare - 18 Apr 12:50PM
Hi Bob, Many thanks for these two brilliant plugins. However, neither of them seem to work in Sib 6 on my machine, though they work perfectly in Sib 8 (yes, I have installed both plugins in the proper folders for each version of Sibelius). In Sib 6 the selection box containing dotted rhythms just disappears without the desired changes when I run either of these plugins. Any ideas?

--
Sib 6.2.0, Sib 8.1.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core i7 4960X CPU, 16GB RAM; Kontakt 5, GPO 5.

Posted by Laurence Payne - 18 Apr 01:45PM
As so often, science and art transcend politics! Wernher von Braun wasn't a turncoat, he was a rocket scientist. Respect to him, and to Bob Z.

--
FAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/sibelius.html
If you want help with a score, attach the sib file!

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 03:58PM
In the words of the great Doctor John, "if I don't do it somebody else will".

Daniel decides what he wants to make public about how his application works in order to maintain interest in what they are doing. If one does that one assumes that anyone who reads it and has a similar product will consider implementing that feature.

I asked permission before publishing this plugin and acknowledged the source of the idea. I did not steal the code or even the implementation. I started from scratch with the concept.

I publish this plugin for the users of Sibelius, not for Avid the corporation, though I do appreciate Avid giving me a place from which to distribute the plugin.

If there is anything I can do to help with the Steinberg product, Daniel knows where to find me.

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit, 8 G RAM. Year 2016.

Posted by Patrick O'Keefe - 18 Apr 06:11PM
> If there is anything I can do to help with the Steinberg product, Daniel knows where to find me.

I hope the that Steinberg program has something like ManuScript user-written scripts. For us: new tools; for you: a new toy box. :-)
--
Patrick O'Keefe

Sib 7.5, GPO4, NotePerformer, lots of EWQL stuff
Win10 x64 Pro Intel i7-4771, 3.50Ghz, 16GB RAM

Posted by Rob Tuley - 18 Apr 07:43PM
> I hope the that Steinberg program has something like ManuScript user-written scripts.

IIRC from one of Daniel's blogs, they plan to use Lua which is a rather better (i.e. much less idiosyncratic!) language than ManuScript's Simkin, and is used by many other applocations - there is list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

But the important unknown is how much functionality of Steinberg's program will have a Lua interface. Look at these for a comparison on what "base level" Lua and Simkin look like **without** an interface to the application:

http://www.lua.org/
http://www.simkin.co.uk/simkin_language.html

--
Rob

Sib 4.1, Windows 7.

Posted by Steve - 19 Apr 01:41AM (edited 19 Apr 01:42AM)
For some reason the end ) is being delinked above, breaking the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

Still broken... strange. Must be something in the name of security breaking what is in this case benign.

--
Sibelius 7.1.3, iMac - Snow Leopard 2016.
http://ComposersofSibelius.com

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 19 Apr 02:37AM
While I look forward to working with Lua and hopefully having a workable development environment, the real key to how well something like that will work is what access is available to the application's internals. We worked for years to get more access to ManuScript; we can now at least create tuplets and access Note Spacing and some Engraving Rules. There are still a lot of things that a plugin just cannot see, and that is a cause of many of the limits on this plugin.

I suspect there will be very little access to the internals in the early versions of the Steinberg app. It will be very interesting to see what will be possible.

--
Bob

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 03:46PM (edited 19 Apr 05:34AM)
(EDIT: Dot Undot Rhythms has been changed to no longer call Divide Durations, so this problem should no longer be an issue. The rest of this message is left just as history).

They work fine for me on Sibelius 6.2 (Windows 7). Sorry it is not working for you.

If you run Divide Durations directly on a selection can you do things like divide the notes in half, or is that not working?

Could you email me a bit of score that shows the problem so I can see if I can reproduce it?

Be sure you have the most recent version of Divide Durations, though Dot Undot should complain if that is not the case.

--
Bob

Attachment snap1.png (46K)

Posted by Ralph L. Bowers Jr. - 18 Apr 04:23PM
The plugin is not working for me also.

--
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, 8.2.0, Bob Zawalich plugins, TMT Publisher Plugins, NotePerformer 1.5.0, dolet 6.5 (update 12-15-2015). PhotoScore 6,7,8 Ultimate

Finale 2010b,2011b,2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, TGTools pro, Patterson plugins, JW Plugins, GPO4, World Instruments. SmartScore X Pro, SmartScore X2 Pro

MuseScore 2 (seeing what's out there)
ProTools 9.5, Reaper
Notion 4, Notion 5 (bought but not installed), Progression, Progression 2, Progression 3
Windows XP Pro (32 bit); 2@ 7 Pro (64 bit); 8.1 Pro (64 bit); Windows 10 Home/ 4-16GB Ram across five PC's
Pencil & Paper
BMus MM (Musicology)

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 04:30PM
Ralph, could you email me a score that demonstrates the problems?

I can't really think of anything I did that would not be fine in Sib 6, and Divide Durations was written in Sib 6. Please try running Divide Durations and see if it splits notes (and send me a screenshot of the dialog if you can).

Posted by Ralph L. Bowers Jr. - 18 Apr 04:46PM
I'll do that as soon as I get home. Right now I am not able as the system I am running Sibelius 8.2 on at work is not activated.
But I created a score (simple) of repeated eights, sixteenths, and thirty second notes, and they would not create.

--
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, 8.2.0, Bob Zawalich plugins, TMT Publisher Plugins, NotePerformer 1.5.0, dolet 6.5 (update 12-15-2015). PhotoScore 6,7,8 Ultimate

Finale 2010b,2011b,2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, TGTools pro, Patterson plugins, JW Plugins, GPO4, World Instruments. SmartScore X Pro, SmartScore X2 Pro

ProTools 9.5, Reaper
Notion 4, Notion 5 (bought but not installed), Progression, Progression 2, Progression 3
Windows XP Pro (32 bit); 2@ 7 Pro (64 bit); 8.1 Pro (64 bit); Windows 10 Home/ 4-16GB Ram across five PC's
Pencil & Paper
BMus MM (Musicology)
Attachment Do Undot.png (274K)

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 05:12PM (edited 19 Apr 05:34AM)
(EDIT: Dot Undot Rhythms has been changed to no longer call Divide Durations, so this problem should no longer be an issue. The rest of this message is left just as history).

As the message tells you, and the description on the plugin download page says, and my description above says, you need to install the the most current version of the plugin Divide Durations as well to run this plugin.

Divide Durations does the actual splitting up of notes.

So be sure Divide Durations is installed and it is the most current version.

--
Bob

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 04:57PM (edited 19 Apr 05:35AM)

My guess is that if the plugin is not working you have more than 1 copy of Divide Durations installed. Please install the plugin Run Plugins by Name and run it and see if you get a warning about duplicate plugins. If so, I suggest deleting all the copies you have installed, then reistalling the current version, then closing and restarting Sibelius 6.

I have code in these plugins to test that the most recent version of the plugin is loaded but it might be getting confused when there are multiple installations.

Please let me know if this helps.

--
Bob

Posted by Ralph L. Bowers Jr. - 18 Apr 05:49PM
Thanks Bob.
I had a second installation of the plugin "Divide" under "Other." Once I deleted that and restarted my PC it worked as you intended.

--

ProTools 9.5, Reaper
Pencil & Paper
BMus MM (Musicology)

Posted by Patrick O'Keefe - 18 Apr 06:06PM
> YIKES!! Steinberg is in direct competition with Sibelius. And for some users, allowing this plugin/feature in Sib at this time--albeit a small feature-makes for them possibly one less reason to buy Steinberg's new program and one more to stick with Sibelius.

I think this is more evidence (as if we needed any) that Daniel (and Bob Z., for that matter) care about people.

--
Patrick O'Keefe

Sib 7.5, GPO4, NotePerformer, lots of EWQL stuff
Win10 x64 Pro Intel i7-4771, 3.50Ghz, 16GB RAM

Posted by Chris Crawley - 18 Apr 06:57PM (edited 18 Apr 06:57PM)
"... for some users, allowing this plugin/feature in Sib at this time--albeit a small feature-makes for them possibly one less reason to buy Steinberg's new program and one more to stick with Sibelius."

I think that is a disproportionate reaction to a small feature.

If I were deciding which of the two (Sibelius/Steinberg Notation Program) to use, I would be comparing a whole lot of other stuff before this clever plug-in of Bob's would come into the process at all.

There would be the type of purchase/subscription scheme for a start; the overall performance of the software - particularly the workflow; the reputation of the two organisations; one's best guess about the long-term future of each.

No disrespect is intended to Bob Z whatsoever. I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

--
Chris Crawley (composer and horn-player) using Sibelius 7.1.3, NotePerformer, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Intel Core i7 3.30GHz, 64GB RAM, DacMagic 100

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 07:50PM
> No disrespect is intended to Bob Z whatsoever. I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

No disrespect taken, and I agree. If I thought note dotting would be a major reason to buy the new program, rather than an indication of its overall coolness, I would not publish this plugin. I wish all possible success to the folks at Steinberg.

--
Bob

Posted by Bob Morabito - 18 Apr 09:11PM (edited 18 Apr 09:16PM)
>> "... for some users, allowing this plugin/feature in Sib at this time-- albeit a small feature-makes for them possibly one less reason to buy Steinberg's new program and one more to stick with Sibelius."

>I think that is a disproportionate reaction to a small feature.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I DID say it was a "small feature". Perhaps a re-reading of my post might help--thanks.

>If I were deciding which of the two (Sibelius/Steinberg Notation Program) to use, I would be comparing a whole lot of other stuff before this clever plug-in of Bob's would come into the process at all.

Again, I agree and I DID say that too,--

"albeit a small feature-makes for them possibly one less reason to buy Steinberg's new program and one more to stick with Sibelius."

>If I thought note dotting would be a major reason to buy the new program, rather than an indication of its overall coolness, I would not publish this plugin.

Please see above, and apparently Daniel or someone thought it important enough to show it as progress for the new program, and it sure had people talking:

<https://twitter.com/dspreadbury/status/716991696647634944/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=dspreadbury&utm_content=716991696647634944>

Heck even Chris above had a thread on it here and called it "Tantalising preview of Steinberg's new program".

For myself, its something I would never use, but I definitely can see its use for many.

>I think this is more evidence (as if we needed any) that Daniel (and Bob Z., for that matter) care about people.

Youre right--we DONT need any more evidence..its a given:) But I dont see how it shows that.

I felt very uncomfortable about this--and still do--that here was Bob who "was finished" with AVID over Daniels firing, but continued and STILL is writing plugins; and now this one took a small part of thunder away from the release of the new program by Daniel and team. For myself, and ONLY myself--I still wonder about the wisdom of publishing this plugin at this time. YMMV.

I note it was done with Daniels permission, as Bob stated--I would have expected nothing less from him. And as I said. Im sure he knows what hes doing.

So I stick with my statement:

>> "... for some users, allowing this plugin/feature in Sib at this time-- albeit a small feature-makes for them possibly one less reason to buy Steinberg's new program and one more to stick with Sibelius."

YMMV, of course, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And for the Sib users who now have this plugin--ENJOY:)

Thanks Bob
--
Bob Morabito
Sib 5.2.5, 6.2, 7.1.3. 7.5.1
Fin 2014.5
Mac OS 10.9.5 iMac 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD

https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Posted by lj - 18 Apr 09:43PM
It says I need a plug-in that I already have...

--
Mac Book Pro 2015
Sibelius 8
Wallander NotePerformer
(Everything is always updated to newest version/operating system)
Attachment Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 5.43.17 PM.png (18K)

Posted by Laurence Payne - 18 Apr 10:32PM
So, does the DotUndot plugin work for you? If not, try removing your current version of DivideDurations and installing again from the download page.

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 18 Apr 11:50PM

It needs the most recent version of that plug-in and I suspect that you got an earlier one. I will be improving the error messages. But Laurence is correct, you should delete the one you have and install the most recent one.
--
Bob

Posted by Robert Enns - 19 Apr 01:54AM
How can I delete the original Divide listed? When I try to delete it from the list it is read only and the new one is in the list as (copy).
I would have thought when you click install, it would update an old plugin.

--
Rob
Win 10 64 bit, 3.1 GHz, 8 Gigs RAM
Sibelius 7.5, and Sibelius 8.2
Sibelius Sounds 7.1.2, NotePerformer, GPO4, GPO5 Photoscore 8.0.4

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 19 Apr 02:50AM (edited 19 Apr 05:36AM)
Ah, I have made a mistake here. Divide Durations ships with Sib 7 and later. So while it would be possible to edit Divide Durations in Sib 7+ so as to produce a user copy, and then replace that copy with the one from the download page, that was not what I intended, andit probably will not work in the long run.

It will work in Sib 6 as it is but not later, really. It is curious that not only me, but also no one who tested this found this problem. Possibly they had installed Divide Durations into other locations. Duplicate plugins do weird things.

At any rate, for the moment I think I will remove Dot Undot Rhythms from the download page until I figure out something to do with it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
Bob

Posted by Robert Enns - 19 Apr 02:58AM
Thanks Bob. I'll just wait then.

--
Rob

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 19 Apr 05:26AM
I have rewritten Dot Undot Rhythms so it does not call into Divide Durations anymore, but does something similar in its own code. I am having a few friends look it over.

Assuming it passes muster, I will put it back on the download page as soon as I can.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience, especially after such a buildup, and thanks, Robert, for pointing out the problem.

It will be equally cool, though, once the dust settles.

--
Bob

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 19 Apr 03:51PM (edited 19 Apr 03:52PM)
A new version of Dot Undot Rhythms is now available on the download page. Not as much testing as I would like has been done, but I thought it was useful to make it available quickly.

I suggest making a backup of your score before using it, which is always a good idea anyway.

This version no longer calls Divide Duration. I rebuilt some similar code from some other plugins so I think it should be pretty stable.

If you got the previous version to work then, I am afraid, you were doing something wrong in Sib 7 and later. Divide Durations is a shipping plugin there, so you should be finding the shipping Divide Durations in Notes and Rests, and you should delete any other copies of Divide Durations unless you have a really goods reason to have your own copies.

It is OK to keep a copy of the downloadable Divide Durations in Sib 6.

If you run Run Plugins By Name or My Plugins or Plugin Info, among others, it will tell you if you have duplicate plugins. You can see the Of Note post Eliminating Duplicate Plugins in Sibelius

http://www.rpmseattle.com/of_note/eliminating-duplicate-plugins-in-sibelius/

for more details.

--
Bob

Posted by lj - 19 Apr 08:23PM
Actually it works now. It's great!

--
Mac Book Pro 2015
Sibelius 8
Wallander NotePerformer
(Everything is always updated to newest version/operating system)

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 19 Apr 11:05PM
Good. I would expect it to work (with the warning that I wrote a lot of code in a short amount of time and it has not had a lot of testing. I would recommend backing up scores before you run it.)

My bigger concern is that people may have installed Divide Durations over a shipping version of the plugin or put copies in multiple folders, neither of which is a good thing.

If anyone needs help recovering from that let me know.

--
Bob

Posted by Robert Enns - 19 Apr 11:27PM
Works and even updated the older version of Dot-undot that I had failed to delete. Thanks Bob.
And you can Ctrl Z out of what it does if you aren't satisfied or made a mistake.

--
Rob

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 19 Apr 11:40PM
You can indeed.

Be aware that the plugin will always toggle the dotted state of note pairs. So there is no way with the plugin to make all pairs dotted or all pairs undotted. You may need to break up your selection to get to that state, should you want it.

In some cases, the plugin Straighten Out Written Swing can help with that.

--
Bob

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable plugin... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 08:40AM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Nicholas Freestone, 18 Apr 11:28AM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Morabito, 18 Apr 11:44AM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Flare, 18 Apr 12:50PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Laurence Payne, 18 Apr 01:45PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 03:58PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Patrick O'Keefe, 18 Apr 06:11PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Rob Tuley, 18 Apr 07:43PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Steve, 19 Apr 01:41AM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 02:37AM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 03:46PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 18 Apr 04:23PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 04:30PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 18 Apr 04:46PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 05:12PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 04:57PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 18 Apr 05:49PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Patrick O'Keefe, 18 Apr 06:06PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Chris Crawley, 18 Apr 06:57PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 07:50PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Morabito, 18 Apr 09:11PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - lj, 18 Apr 09:43PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Laurence Payne, 18 Apr 10:32PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 18 Apr 11:50PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Robert Enns, 19 Apr 01:54AM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 02:50AM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Robert Enns, 19 Apr 02:58AM
                                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 05:26AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 03:51PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - lj, 19 Apr 08:23PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 11:05PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Robert Enns, 19 Apr 11:27PM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.x: New (and amazing) downloadable pl... - Bob Zawalich, 19 Apr 11:40PM