'Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save and Export and Save With Previous Version'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save and ... - Bob Zawalich, 06 Nov 01:36AM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Philip R, 06 Nov 02:33AM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Peter McAleer, 06 Nov 09:14AM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 06 Nov 12:19PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 06 Nov 09:33PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 06 Nov 09:51PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 06 Nov 11:32PM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 07 Nov 01:45AM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 07 Nov 08:17AM
                                     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 07 Nov 10:18AM
                                         Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 07 Nov 10:24PM
                                             Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 08 Nov 02:02AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 13 Nov 09:04PM
                                                     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 03 Mar 08:25AM

Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save and Export and Save With Previous Version
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 06 Nov 01:36AM (edited 06 Nov 05:33AM)
Two new plugins are available for free download at

http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?plugin=527

In Sib 7 or later, install with the plugin installer at File > Plugins > Install Plugins category Engravers' Tools.

Save With Previous Version can be run in Sibelius 6 or later; Save and Export requires Sibelius version 7.1.3 or later. Both plugins are included in the Save and Export zip file so installing that one plugin will get you both of them.

These plugins save the current score and simultaneously export one or more copies of the score in a different format.

The plugin zip file contains 2 plugins, Save and Export and Save With Previous Version. Both plugins will save the current score and also export one of more copies of the score in different formats. It is recommended that the plugin used be assigned to a shortcut, and used in place of or in addition to the regular Save, so that the score and its copies remain in sync.

Save and Export saves the current score and simultaneously exports one or more copies of the score in an earlier version of Sibelius and/or in PDF or MusicXML format. The exported files are in the same folder as the original score, and overwrite any files with the same name. The plugin will display a dialog the first time it is run in a Sibelius session, and you can choose the output format(s) you want and to which earlier version to save. The dialog can be hidden for the rest of the Sibelius session.

Save With Previous Version saves the current score and simultaneously exports a copy of the score in the previous version of Sibelius. The exported file is in the same folder as the original score, and overwrites any file with the same name. There are no options and no dialog will appear. Currently any version of Sibelius after version 7 will save in version 7 format.

These plugins were written after I read a forum request to be able to save a score in an earlier version automatically. I thought that doing that could be problematic, because the file being edited in memory could become out of sync with the file on disk, since it would be overwritten on Save, but it seemed to me that you could instead save the original score in the current version as usual, but also export a copy in the previous version with a modified name.

I wrote a plugin to do that, which was pretty much Save With Previous Version, and showed it to some friends. They liked it but had some suggestions.

I added a dialog that would come up the first time the plugin was run in a session to allow you to choose which earlier version of Sibelius should be exported. Then someone requested the ability to save as MusicXML, and I added that and the ability to save as PDF. Finally I was asked to allow the plugin to output multiple copies, so one could get both MusicXML and PDF, for example. That plugin became Save and Export.

If you are saving big scores in multiple formats, it might take a while to do a save.

Some people still liked the fact that the original plugin would just run with no dialog, so I include that plugin as well, as Save With Previous Version.

These plugins can be really useful if you are working with someone on a project and they have an earlier version of Sibelius, or they can be useful of you have to send PDF or MusicXML files regularly. The exported files will always go into the same folder as the original score, and you have no real control over the output files names, which are derived from the original score name. But if that is the output you want, it is very fast and simple. Assign the plugin to a keystroke and use it instead of Save, and the copies will always be in sync.

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 7.5, Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit, 8 G RAM. Year 2015.
Attachment snap1.png (36K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save and Export and Save With Previous Version
Posted by Philip R - 06 Nov 02:33AM
Bob's post says it all, but in any case I wrote it up on the blog:

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/tips/new-plug-ins-save-and-export-and-save-with-previous-version/

You need this plug-in if you collaborate with other people working in previous Sibelius versions!

--
Sibelius 7.1.3, 7.5.1, Mac 10.9.5
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 32 GB RAM
http://www.nycmusicservices.com/
http://www.sibeliusblog.com/

Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save and Export and Save With Previous Version
Posted by Peter McAleer - 06 Nov 09:14AM
Wonderful news Bob. This plugin will get some serious use, not just for collaboration reasons but also for future-proofing, using the XML export feature, for composers who have been put through the mill recently.

--
Peter McAleer: composer - choral director - teacher - Sibelius user
Sibelius 7.5; Wallander NotePerformer; iMac 3.1 with internal ssd; macBook Pro; OS 10.10.5 ('Yosemite')

Posted by Mike Lyons - 06 Nov 12:19PM
As always, Bob, your generosity is greatly appreciated. I've been using these several times today already. Thank you.

--
1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, Win 7 Pro (x64), 8GB, 7TB HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5 EWQLSO Plat, Miroslav Phil, NotePerformer, Harmony Asst, EWQLSC, GPO, COMB2
Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.

Posted by Ralph L. Bowers Jr. - 06 Nov 09:33PM
Bob are we going to have some control over whether the built in XML under the file tab of Sibelius or the Dolet Plug in from Make Music in the plugins menu most if not all of us have downloaded and installed is used?

--
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, 8.0.1, Bob Zawalich plugins, TMT Publisher Plugins, NotePerformer 1.5.0, dolet 6.4 (update 10-3-2014). PhotoScore 6-8 Ultimate

Finale 2010b,2011b,2012c, 2014d, TGTools pro, Patterson plugins, JW Plugins, GPO4, World Instruments. SmartScore X Pro, SmartScore X2 Pro

MuseScore 2 (seeing what's out there)
ProTools 9.5, Reaper
Notion 4, Notion 5 (bought but not installed), Progression, Progression 2, Progression 3
Windows XP Pro (32 bit); 2@ 7 Pro (64 bit); 8.1 Pro (64 bit)/ 4-16GB Ram across four PC's
Pencil & Paper
BMus MM (Musicology)

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 06 Nov 09:51PM (edited 06 Nov 09:54PM)
Nope - sorry. It will only produce MusicXML through the Sibelius export scheme. Similarly it will only produce PDFs through Sibelius export, not though printing.

Even if I wanted to export through Dolet, I would have to mess with that plugin, which I do not have the right to do, to get it to come up without a dialog and with the proper settings. The plugin is also really slow - too slow to use used in this manner. For Dolet Export you should just run the plugin when you need it.

I agree that in many cases, Dolet produces more useable MusicXML than Sib export does.

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 7.5, Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit, 8 G RAM. Year 2015.

Posted by Mike Lyons - 06 Nov 11:32PM
Just as an aside to this discussion, if I am having issues with sib export to xml, I run it through MuseScore and re-export as xml. Seems to remove many probs.

--
1.6GHz Intel i7 Quad core, Win 7 Pro (x64), 8GB, 7TB HDD, Scarlett 6i6, Sib 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5 EWQLSO Plat, Miroslav Phil, NotePerformer, Harmony Asst, EWQLSC, GPO, COMB2

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 07 Nov 01:45AM
I have had much better results feeding Dolet MusicXML into Musescore than feeding it the MusicXML from Sib. will even the messed up stuff in Musescore produce better MusicXML?

--
Bob

Posted by Mike Lyons - 07 Nov 08:17AM
The trouble with the Dolet export is its slow speed. I don't mind quick and dirty up to a point, but I hate sitting around supping coffee and knitting while the conversion takes hours!

--

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 07 Nov 10:18AM
Dolet is a ManuScript plugin. Michael Good did what he could with it, but they are intrinsically slow, especially when file I/O is involved.

--
Bob

Posted by Mike Lyons - 07 Nov 10:24PM
I'm not criticising someone for doing something that I would not even attempt, merely stating the fact that it is very slow.

--

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 08 Nov 02:02AM (edited 13 Nov 08:56PM)
No criticism was inferred. Michael did a great job trying to work with something that is intrinsically slow. And like you, I find it to be too slow to stick in as part of an ongoing process. When you need it, it is worth the time it takes.

--
Bob

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 13 Nov 09:04PM
Save and Export has been updated, adding a checkbox that can trace the folder where exported files will be saved.

The plugin exports files to the same folder where the original score is stored. Sometimes, it is not where you think it is. If you open a file from this forum, it will often be stored in a temporary folder; if you run Double Note Values, the resulting score may go to the default Scores folder rather than to the location of the original score, and running the plugin from the generated score will put the exported files where the doubled score is, not where the original score is.

And so on. If you run the plugin and cannot find the exported files, run it again and check the checkbox, and you should be able to find where they are.

--
Bob

Attachment snap1.png (34K)

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 03 Mar 08:25AM
I just wanted to note that since this post was written Michael Good sped up Dolet considerably. You should give the current version a try if you found it too slow earlier.

--
Bob

An experienced user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 8, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 32 G RAM. Year 2018.
For plugin lookup and categories see https://www.nycmusicservices.com/musicresources
For manual plugin installation see http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save and ... - Bob Zawalich, 06 Nov 01:36AM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Philip R, 06 Nov 02:33AM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Peter McAleer, 06 Nov 09:14AM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 06 Nov 12:19PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Ralph L. Bowers Jr., 06 Nov 09:33PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 06 Nov 09:51PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 06 Nov 11:32PM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 07 Nov 01:45AM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 07 Nov 08:17AM
                                     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 07 Nov 10:18AM
                                         Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Mike Lyons, 07 Nov 10:24PM
                                             Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 08 Nov 02:02AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 13 Nov 09:04PM
                                                     Re: Sib. 7.5: 2 new downloadable plugins: Save ... - Bob Zawalich, 03 Mar 08:25AM