'Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying articulations?'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying articu... - g wharton, 26 Mar 07:42PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Bob Zawalich, 26 Mar 08:10PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - g wharton, 26 Mar 08:48PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Bob Zawalich, 26 Mar 09:12PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Patrick O'Keefe, 28 Mar 09:04PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - g wharton, 29 Mar 02:55PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Erik Hagner, 30 Mar 09:10AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - g wharton, 30 Mar 09:16AM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - TulaneMusic, 29 Dec 11:27PM

Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying articulations?
Posted by g wharton - 26 Mar 07:42PM
I have a curious problem, just started today: if I try to copy an articulation like an accent to different notes, the usual and very useful shortcut (mark, then opt/click to new note) has stopped working, instead, it replaces the note with a rest. It works fine to copy dynamics or notes or bars, but balks at copying articulations.

Even odder, the behaviour has also spread to my parallel version 6.

Anyone else seen this or have a suggestion?

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying articulations?
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 26 Mar 08:10PM (edited 26 Mar 08:15PM)
I have to admit never having tried this, but going all the way back to Sib 4, I get the same result, which is that if I just select an articulation, then copy and paste it (with alt-click or ctrl-c/ctrl-v), it does not get added to the target note, but deletes it, as you say above.

I would actually be surprised that a paste would work with articulations. They are really properties of notes, not separate objects, so it always surprised me that one can click on them and select them (as you can with accidentals and stems). Once selected there does not tend to be all that much you can do with them.

I note that if I copy and paste individual accidentals or stems, I get the same result: the target note is deleted.

Things like text objects and lines are separate objects, which you can filter and paste at will.

So I have never seen the behavior you describe, and can't really say why it worked before and not now. Any chance it might work that way in a different notation program that you use, rather than Sibelius?

There is a shipping plugin, Copy Articulations and Slurs (written by Neil Sands, in the category Notes and Rests) that will effectively paste articulations from one set of notes to another. You might have a look at that. You make a passage selection of notes with the articulation you want to copy, do Edit> Copy, then make a passage selection for the target, and run the plugin.

--
Bob

Just a user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 7, Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit, 4 G RAM. Year 2014.

Posted by g wharton - 26 Mar 08:48PM
Thanks Bob, you are probably right... I think I will add it as a feature request though; it should be possible to do it and would be really useful for things like putting in bowings-- it is tedious doing them via the keypad, and since it is possible to mark the articulations separately, it must be feasible to allow them to change the properties of the next note clicked.
Thanks for mentioning the plugin; I have used that and find it handy for adding slurs in a passage, but it is too clumsy for just adding the odd bowing mark.

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 26 Mar 09:12PM
For the odd bowing mark, selecting the target note and using the keypad to add an articulation is relatively non-clumsy.

--
Bob

Just a user of Sibelius. Sib 1.2 - 7, Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit, 4 G RAM. Year 2014.

Posted by Patrick O'Keefe - 28 Mar 09:04PM
Sibelius lets you select an articulation so you can delete it without resorting to the keypad. (When you delete the selected articulation, the note and any additional articulations are not effected.)

When you select the articulation, the keypad displays all articulations on that note and the note duration (but oddly, not any accidental). When you do a copy, Sibelius takes those selected attributes, and, I guess, fakes a non-note object: a rest.

So Sibelius is sort of doing what it's being told to do (in a perverted sort of way) when you paste. You get a rest with as many of those attributes as make sense: the duration.

I'm surprised that the copy is allowed. I guess the developers could edit for this, but they would then have to change the copy warning pop-up from "Please select something and try again" to "Please select something reasonable and try again". :-)

--
Patrick O'Keefe

Sib 7.1.3, GPO4, Win7 x64 Pro
Intel i7 930, 2.80Ghz, 6GB RAM

Posted by g wharton - 29 Mar 02:55PM
One of the best things about Sibelius is a pretty consistent logic, and this includes being able to select something, and paste it elsewhere. It seems to me an oversight not to extend this to articulation marks... otherwise the selection of an articulation should include selection of the note it is attached to.
I can of course mark a note and use the keypad to set the bowing; however this involves at least twice as many actions (more if it involves moving to a different keypad layout).

Posted by Erik Hagner - 30 Mar 09:10AM
> I can of course mark a note and use the keypad to set the bowing; however this involves at least twice as many actions (more if it involves moving to a different keypad layout).
>>>>>

Moving to another keypad does not necessarily involve extra actions. I don't know if this is common knowledge, but you can assign direct keyboard shortcuts to the keys in all 6 keypad layouts. Please see attached file ...

--
Erik Hagner, Denmark
MacBook5,1 - OS X 10.6.8
Sibelius 7.1.3
Finale 2010b r1
Attachment Shortcuts articulations.png (151K)

Posted by g wharton - 30 Mar 09:16AM
Yes, I could indeed assign a shortcut, but there are so few keys left without shortcuts and it is hard enough to remember them as it is!
It is now so nice to put in dynamics just by selecting one and tapping all over the score to duplicate them, and I am hoping to get a similar function for (in my case) string bowings!

Posted by TulaneMusic - 29 Dec 11:27PM
This has started happening with many of my lines as well, but not all of them. I am perplexed/frustrated, as this, along with the dropdown/popup menu not functioning properly, is crippling my workflow. I don't understand why elements of Sibelius that worked so well in 7, and were some of the main reasons for my switching to it, have stopped working. Sibelius 8 has essentially been a huge downgrade for me. Some above have said they don't understand how copying articulations etc., but I don't understand how you ever missed this functionality in Sibelius 7. Option+click on any object—an articulation, expression or other text, or line—would make a copy of it. Now that doesn't work anymore.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying articu... - g wharton, 26 Mar 07:42PM
     Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Bob Zawalich, 26 Mar 08:10PM
         Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - g wharton, 26 Mar 08:48PM
             Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Bob Zawalich, 26 Mar 09:12PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Patrick O'Keefe, 28 Mar 09:04PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - g wharton, 29 Mar 02:55PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - Erik Hagner, 30 Mar 09:10AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - g wharton, 30 Mar 09:16AM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.5: option/click no longer copying ar... - TulaneMusic, 29 Dec 11:27PM