Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi out... - timc, 24 Mar 02:10PM
     Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Laurence Payne, 24 Mar 02:35PM
         Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Peter Roos, 24 Mar 03:20PM
             Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Kai Struck, 24 Mar 03:51PM
         Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - timc, 25 Mar 10:44AM
             Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Andrew Noah Cap, 27 Mar 12:34PM

Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi out via Rewire?
Posted by timc - 24 Mar 02:10PM
Isn't it about time that Sibelius (in it's role as the best score creation program) can drive the instruments, properly synchronized etc, in a sound generating program like Reason, via Rewire?

Surely this is something lots of people want?

Come on guys!

And -- as a very beneficial corollary of this -- allow plugins the ability to contribute to/filter the midi codes that are sent (so that the score can dynamically control synthesizer parameters, select instruments, etc).

These abilities would make Sibelius into an extraordinary music making (not just music notating) tool.

At least, that's my opinion, as someone who is music notation literate and very frustrated by the piano-roll model for writing music.

Anyone agree with this?

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi out via Rewire?
Posted by Laurence Payne - 24 Mar 02:35PM (edited 24 Mar 02:35PM)
You're asking for Sibelius to be a performance sequencer. It's edging that way (if it's edging anywhere :-(. A pity, in many opinions. The advanced sequencers - Cubase etc. - have pretty good Score Edit pages. Let's keep Sibelius as a tool for professional-quality score publishing.

Posted by Peter Roos - 24 Mar 03:20PM
If you search the forum there is a workaround for this allowing you to send midi from Sibelius (rewired into a host program) such that you can tweak the midi in the sequencing program. The program used is loopbe30 I believe.

--
Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com
IMDb: www.imdb.com/name/nm2039241

Posted by Kai Struck - 24 Mar 03:51PM
timc, if you are on Windows then look here:
http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=625738&groupid=3&&guest=1#625810

Posted by timc - 25 Mar 10:44AM
Isn't it already a performance sequencer and a sound generator? I'm suggesting that its sequencing capability (i.e. based on music notation) could be beneficially used to drive other sound generating things, enhancing the possibilities for making music. In fact, one could argue that it *should* delegate the production of sound to independent entities, rather than trying to do it all within the same program.

With reference to another post in this thread, I know about the ability to send the midi output to other programs (like Reason for example) -- what's lacking is the ability to do it via the Rewire protocol -- i.e. to do it properly.

So I guess I'm asking for the Sibelius implementation of Rewire to include the midi features as well as the audio features.

Posted by Andrew Noah Cap - 27 Mar 12:34PM (edited 27 Mar 12:35PM)
A good implemented rewire would keep Sibelius clean from all the midi- and extra-ordinary sound-stuff so that programmers could focus on improving notation-functionalities.

Also Avid could make a ProTools lite version and sale it with a special discount for registered Sibelius-users.

I am using Cubase 7 rewired to Sibelius (only for sync-reason) and LoopB30 (16,90Euro). The advantage is that Sibelius don't loose performance when scores are to big and I can record other midi-data in Cubase to improve the playback and tempo. Just switch sync.

If you want to know how my setup works send me a PM. Also you can use the Feedback Community - page to add comments or do a request.

http://sibelius.ideascale.com/a/ideafactory.do?id=22221&mode=author&discussionFilter=active

--
Andrew Noah Cap
===============
The most famous unknown composer alive :-)
Working as a composer, engraver and audio-engineer.

Win7 64-Bit, Sibelius v7.1.3 - Soundlibs: Complete Composers Collection Play-Engine (including Symph Platinum Plus, Symph Choir + Ext, Goliath, Ra, Gypsy, Silk, Voices of Passion, Ministry of Rock, Stormdrums Pro, Fab Four), Garritan JABB v3

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi out... - timc, 24 Mar 02:10PM
     Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Laurence Payne, 24 Mar 02:35PM
         Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Peter Roos, 24 Mar 03:20PM
             Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Kai Struck, 24 Mar 03:51PM
         Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - timc, 25 Mar 10:44AM
             Re: Sib. 7.1.3: When will Sibelius support midi... - Andrew Noah Cap, 27 Mar 12:34PM