'Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Peter Smith, 03 Jan 09:28AM
     Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 03 Jan 10:06AM
         Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Peter Smith, 03 Jan 11:35AM
             Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 03 Jan 12:07PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - John Fowler, 03 Jan 09:23PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 03 Jan 09:26PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Robin Walker, 04 Jan 09:40AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 04 Jan 09:52AM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - John Fowler, 04 Jan 06:43PM
                                     Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Robin Walker, 04 Jan 06:56PM
                                         Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 04 Jan 08:14PM
                                             Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Richard Hatton, 04 Jan 09:40PM

Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report
Posted by Peter Smith - 03 Jan 09:28AM
My Sibelius 7 has been working without a hitch for six months then today it announced 'The library Sibelius 7 sounds cannot be found. Would you like to specify an alternative location?'

According to the Avid Knowledge Base this can only happen if either you don't correctly instal or you move the folder location. Neither is the case. The only thing I've done is instal the latest version of Scorch yesterday. Could this have caused my problem and what do I need to do?

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report
Posted by Derek Bourgeois - 03 Jan 10:06AM
You don't tell us anything about your operating system so I can only give very general advice.

The first thing to do is to check that the Sibelius sounds folder is still actually present. It could have got deleted or renamed by mistake, or maybe the drive is malfunctioning (possible temporarily if it's external). If it is still there, make sure that it contains the necessary files. If you're not sure then you'll have to reinstall them.

--
Derek Bourgeois, Dorset UK
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit - Intel Xeon@3.47 Ghz - 24GB RAM - NVidia Quadro 5000 with 6143 graphics memory - 3 TB hard disks (of which 2 TB SSD), Sibelius 7.1.3, Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition plus full percussion library. East West QL Symphonic Orchestra and Choirs. Sibelius 7 Sounds. M-Box.

Posted by Peter Smith - 03 Jan 11:35AM
Thanks for the response Derek.

You were of course absolutely right ~ I had forgotten I'd originally installed the sounds on my much larger internal back-up disc. For some reason that disc hadn't started. So by simply switching off and on all is now well. Should have done that in the first place.

Posted by Derek Bourgeois - 03 Jan 12:07PM
> Thanks for the response Derek.
>
> You were of course absolutely right ~ I had forgotten I'd originally installed the sounds on my much larger internal back-up disc. For some reason that disc hadn't started. So by simply switching off and on all is now well. Should have done that in the first place.

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. One of my external SSDs always fails to be recognised after a reboot. Unplugging it and plugging it back in again always causes it to be recognised again, but I have to remember to do it, particularly after an automatic update which has triggered a reboot in the middle of the night.

--
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit - Intel Xeon@3.47 Ghz - 24GB RAM - NVidia Quadro 5000 with 6143 graphics memory - 3 TB hard disks (of which 2 TB SSD), Sibelius 7.1.3, Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition plus full percussion library. East West QL Symphonic Orchestra and Choirs. Sibelius 7 Sounds. M-Box.

Posted by John Fowler - 03 Jan 09:23PM
Along the same lines, if I use the default installer and change nothing, where do the sounds go? Is it the Avid\Sibelius7\Sounds folder? What if I don't have such a folder in this directory? Where should I look for the sounds and what are the files called?

Thank you.

John F.

Posted by Derek Bourgeois - 03 Jan 09:26PM
The folder is called Sibelius 7 Sounds. You can search your entire computer for it. Within the folder there are subfolders entitled Brass, Guitar, Keyboard, Pitched Percussion, Strings, Synth, Unpitched, Voice and Wind.

--

Posted by Robin Walker - 04 Jan 09:40AM
The default location for Sibelius 7 Sounds is:

C:\Program Files\Avid\Sibelius Sounds\Sibelius 7 Sounds\

--
Sibelius 7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 7.0.2, Dolet 6 for Sibelius, Windows 7 32-bit SP1, 4GB RAM

Posted by Derek Bourgeois - 04 Jan 09:52AM (edited 04 Jan 09:53AM)
Robin is correct - that is the default, but because I've a lot of space pressure on my C: drive, I've moved the sounds to another drive, and I suspect many other people may have done this too. Sibelius is quite happy for you to do this

For those Windows users brave enough, the place in the registry, shown below, is where Sibelius stores the information as to the Sibelius 7 Sounds whereabouts. Once you are sure of where this is on your computer you can edit the registry, if it's incorrect, to tell Sibelius where the sounds are stored, but don't forget to back up the registry first in case of an editing disaster.

--
Attachment regedit.PNG.png (49K)

Posted by John Fowler - 04 Jan 06:43PM
Thank you. This was very helpful. The default for some systems (maybe it's peculiar to my system...) turned out to be c:\program files (X86)\Avid\Sibelius Sounds\Sibelius 7 Sounds in case that's helpful for other newbies.

John.

Posted by Robin Walker - 04 Jan 06:56PM
> The default for some systems (maybe it's peculiar to my system...) turned out to be
> c:\program files (X86)\Avid\Sibelius Sounds\Sibelius 7 Sounds

That would be because you have a 64-bit version of Windows, and my previous answer was for 32-bit versions of Windows.

--
Sibelius 7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 7.0.2, Dolet 6 for Sibelius, Windows 7 32-bit SP1, 4GB RAM

Posted by Derek Bourgeois - 04 Jan 08:14PM (edited 04 Jan 08:16PM)
> > The default for some systems (maybe it's peculiar to my system...) turned out to be
> > c:\program files (X86)\Avid\Sibelius Sounds\Sibelius 7 Sounds
>
> That would be because you have a 64-bit version of Windows, and my previous answer was for 32-bit versions of Windows.
>
Are you sure? I think 'Program Files (x86)' contains the 32 bit version and 'Program files' without any addition is the folder for the 64 bit version. It is on my computer anyway and also according to the the Microsoft website.

--

Posted by Richard Hatton - 04 Jan 09:40PM
My system (Win 7 64bit) has the sounds in the "program files (X86)" folder as well.
I suppose it makes sense as they are used by both 32 and 64 bit versions of Sibelius and one doesn't want two installations of sound files! (one for 32 bit and one for 64bit)

--
Richard Hatton
Sibelius 7.1.3 and Photoscore Ult. 7.0.2; Windows 7 64 bit; quad core i7, 16GB ram; core I5, 8 GB ram also with Sibelius 6

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Peter Smith, 03 Jan 09:28AM
     Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 03 Jan 10:06AM
         Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Peter Smith, 03 Jan 11:35AM
             Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 03 Jan 12:07PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - John Fowler, 03 Jan 09:23PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 03 Jan 09:26PM
                         Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Robin Walker, 04 Jan 09:40AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 04 Jan 09:52AM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - John Fowler, 04 Jan 06:43PM
                                     Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Robin Walker, 04 Jan 06:56PM
                                         Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Derek Bourgeois, 04 Jan 08:14PM
                                             Re: Sib. 7.1: Sibelius 7 sounds error report - Richard Hatton, 04 Jan 09:40PM