'Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy version of Sibelius'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy vers... - Peter Smith, 04 Dec 12:59PM
     Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Robin Walker, 04 Dec 02:05PM
         Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Peter Smith, 05 Dec 10:52AM
             Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - John Murdoch, 05 Dec 05:03PM
             Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Martin P. Kellogg, 06 Dec 04:02AM
                 Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Peter Smith, 07 Dec 05:01PM

Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy version of Sibelius
Posted by Peter Smith - 04 Dec 12:59PM
I tried to open some old Sibelius files (created in Sib 5) by double clicking on the filename and it tried to open Sib 5. I tried to use the 'Open With' dialogue to change the assignment but it didn't recognise the Sib 7 .exe file (in the Avid folder).

I don't need Sib 5 so I went into Control Panel to try and remove it but Sib 5 isn't listed. I went to Computer/C:\Program Files/Sibelius software/Sibelius 5 and all the files and folders seems to be there. I changed the .exe extension to .axe but 'Open With' still wouldn't accept the Sib 7 link.

This appears to be a legacy corruption possibly due to multiple versions of 'sibelius.exe'

1. how do I remove Sibelius v5?
2. How do I persuade my legacy .sib files to 'open with' sib 7 (incidentally if I open them from Sibelius 7 they work fine)
3. I've also got a lot of files linked to Sibelius 6 even though I did remove sib 6 via the Control Panel. How do I remove all this junk. Is it safe just to delete or do I need to mess with the registry
4. Also with Sibelius 6 there are some very large Sibelius 6 sound files. Can they be deleted or does Sibelius 7 need them at all?

Sibelius version: 7.1.3
Windows Version: Vista SP2

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy version of Sibelius
Posted by Robin Walker - 04 Dec 02:05PM
Launch Sibelius 7 directly from Start -> All Programs -> Avid -> Sibelius 7.

In Sibelius 7, open Preferences. In Preferences -> Files -> Repair File Associations, click the "Repair" button.

You will need to do this again after every time Sibelius 5 is launched, because of the way Sibelius 5 automatically changes the file association of .sib files to itself.

You are not obligated to remove earlier versions of Sibelius just because you now have Sibelius 7: they can all co-exist side by side.

Some people like keeping Sibelius 5 because of its ability to import certain ancient score file formats which later versions of Sibelius cannot do.

Some people like keeping Sibelius 6 because its sound library can be used within Sibelius 7, and that sound library is not so RAM-demanding as the Sibelius 7 library.

In Control Panel -> Programs and Features:
- you can remove Sibelius 6 by removing item "Sibelius 6.2.0.88" (or whatever);
- you can remove the Sibelius 6 sound library by removing item "Sibelius Sounds Essentials for Sibelius 6";
- you can remove Sibelius 5 by removing similarly named entries for that version.

If these items are not listed in Control Panel -> Programs and Features, then there is a problem with the Windows installation.

--
Sibelius 7.1.3/6.2/5.2.5, PhotoScore Ult 7.0.2, Dolet 6 for Sibelius, Windows 7 32-bit SP1, 4GB RAM

Posted by Peter Smith - 05 Dec 10:52AM
Thanks Robin for this prompt and comprehensive answer. So it looks like I'll need to reinstall Sib 5 if I want to remove it to overcome the apparent corruption. Presumably I'll be able to do that OK and it won't affect the reliability of my Sib 7 installation if I do?

Posted by John Murdoch - 05 Dec 05:03PM
Peter,

The only potential problem will be that you cannot automatically register that installation of Sibelius 5. Once the Avid database lists you as a Sib 7 user, it will not permit earlier versions to be registered.

(You still can--but you have to call Avid support to do so.)

--
Sibelius 2 - 7.1 | Hauptwerk 4
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel i5 quad CPU, 8 GB RAM | M-Audio Fast Track C600
Keurig B60

Posted by Martin P. Kellogg - 06 Dec 04:02AM
> So it looks like I'll need to reinstall Sib 5 if I want to remove it to overcome the apparent corruption.

Removing Sib5 shouldn't be necessary if you follow Robin's advice above:

"Launch Sibelius 7 directly from Start -> All Programs -> Avid -> Sibelius 7.

"In Sibelius 7, open Preferences. In Preferences -> Files -> Repair File Associations, click the "Repair" button."

This will associate Sibelius 7 with your Sibelius scores, and should be all you need to do, although running Sibelius 5 will cause it to grab the association back.

Not being able to find Sib5 in the list of installed programs doesn't necessarily mean the installation is corrupted. It just means that Windows doesn't have it in its database of installed programs for some reason. I wouldn't bother re-installing Sib5 unless you really want to remove it completely.

Note that, aside from the file association issue and possible difficulties with running both programs at the same time, Sib5 and Sib7 can coexist just fine.

--
Martin

Sibelius 7.1.3 & 6.2, Core i5 M560 2.67 GHz, 8 GB, Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.
Sibelius 6.2, Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz, 3 GB usable, Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit (rarely used now).
Shared second monitor (1920x1200), KeyRig 49, Echo Indigo IOx audio interface. Year 2012

Posted by Peter Smith - 07 Dec 05:01PM
Thanks to John and Martin for the helpful advice. I've repaired the file associations and I'll leave Sib 5 alone.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy vers... - Peter Smith, 04 Dec 12:59PM
     Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Robin Walker, 04 Dec 02:05PM
         Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Peter Smith, 05 Dec 10:52AM
             Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - John Murdoch, 05 Dec 05:03PM
             Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Martin P. Kellogg, 06 Dec 04:02AM
                 Re: Sib. 7.1: 'Open with' tries to open legacy ... - Peter Smith, 07 Dec 05:01PM