'Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac air to Yamaha Clavinova 501'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac air to... - Karen LeFrak, 26 Dec 09:52PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Andy G, 26 Dec 11:19PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 04:08AM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Jim Druckenmiller, 27 Dec 04:56AM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Andy G, 27 Dec 10:32AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 11:16AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 12:17PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 01:24PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 03:50PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Laurence Payne, 27 Dec 04:37PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 04:51PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 05:06PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 05:32PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 05:51PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robert Enns, 27 Dec 06:17PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 06:34PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 06:49PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 07:57PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 08:03PM

Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac air to Yamaha Clavinova 501
Posted by Karen LeFrak - 26 Dec 09:52PM
yamaha drivers were installed and downloaded on new mac air. Sibelius 6 is registered and installed. the usb square connector in inserted in to host receiver on Clavinova and the other end inserted in the computer. Can someone tell me what else to do so i can use my computer with the Clavinova. It doesn't seem to be connected. my email is klefrak@lefrak.com

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac air to Yamaha Clavinova 501
Posted by Andy G - 26 Dec 11:19PM (edited 26 Dec 11:20PM)
First, make sure the Clavi is switched on and connected *before* starting Sibelius. Does that help? If not, report back!

It's not generally recommended to put your email address in forum posts.

--
PC - Q6700 @ 3.2GHz 4GB RAM. XP Pro SP2. Terratec/M-Audio cards. Sib 6.2. Macbook Pro: OS 10.6.8. Terratec external card. Sib 7 Web: www.andrew-gilbert.com

Posted by Karen LeFrak - 27 Dec 04:08AM
what settings must be made to Sibelius?

Posted by Jim Druckenmiller - 27 Dec 04:56AM
Hi Karen,

Go to. . . >File >Preferences >Input Devices (menu list).

You'll want to make sure that Sibelius has recognized your keyboard (you should see it as an option within the Device List, and assure that the Use Box is checked next to its device name.

--

If not recognized, then try the ‘Find New Input Device’ button.

Sometimes you need to toggle the Midi Thru option if. . . you’re playing notes on the keyboard, the test bar is showing a response to that, but you’re not hearing any sound.

Posted by Andy G - 27 Dec 10:32AM
You beat me to it! You may not see the Clavi mentioned by name, but by generic Piano 1 or even something like Yamaha USB etc.

Getting the Clavi to play back the sounds you want may be more complex, as it will require a Soundset. I don't suppose Yamaha or Sibelius have made one. Soundsets are beyond me, sorry, as I've never needed one.

--
PC - Q6700 @ 3.2GHz 4GB RAM. XP Pro SP2. Terratec/M-Audio cards. Sib 6.2. Macbook Pro: OS 10.6.8. Terratec external card. Sib 7 Web: www.andrew-gilbert.com

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 11:16AM
Karen, can you clarify what you are trying to achieve? For instance, are you trying to make the Clavinova into an audio output device that Sibelius can play through? Or something else?

--
Sibelius 7.1/6.2, PhotoScore Ult 7.0.2, Dolet 6 for Sibelius, Windows 7 32-bit SP1, 4GB RAM

Posted by Karen LeFrak - 27 Dec 12:17PM
Robin, I am trying to have Clavinova play my score and also have Clavinova used to edit my score that is on my Mac air in Sibelius

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 01:24PM
OK. One step at a time.

- plug the Clavinova USB into the MacBook, power up the Clavinova.
- Quit and restart Sibelius 6.
- In Sibelius 6, pull down "Play" and select "Playback Devices".
- You should be able to see the Clavinova in the left-hand column of available devices. If not, stop at this point and report back.
- Click "New..." and give your new Playback Configuration a name such as "Clavinova". Click OK in that little naming dialogue.
- Click on the "Clavinova" entry in the left-hand column of available items, and then click "Activate": it will move to the right-hand column.
- In the Clavinova line in the right-hand column, click on the part of the line under the "Sound Set" heading. In that pull-down, select "Yamaha XG".
- now click "Save" (at the top) and then "Close" at the bottom.

Now try playing a score. It should play through the Clavinova.

--
Sibelius 7.1/6.2, PhotoScore Ult 7.0.2, Dolet 6 for Sibelius, Windows 7 32-bit SP1, 4GB RAM

Posted by Karen LeFrak - 27 Dec 03:50PM
Robin,
now, my mac doesn't even playback my score with Sibelius Sounds. Might i have deleted them? on the available playback devices, it lists digital piano port 1 and digital piano port 2. i clicked on one, pressed activate, it moved over and i selected yamaha xg and pressed save and close. what am i doing wrong?

Posted by Laurence Payne - 27 Dec 04:37PM
>i clicked on one, pressed activate, it moved over and i selected yamaha xg and pressed save and close. what am i doing wrong?

What if you click on the other one?

Is there any setting on the Clavinova that activates MIDI input? You realise that sound will come out of the Clavinova's speakers, not from your computer?

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 04:51PM (edited 27 Dec 05:33PM)
Karen, that is correct - if you select the new configuration "Clavinova", then you will not be able to output to Sibelius Sounds. If you want to output to Sibelius Sounds, then you need to select a Playback Configuration such as "Sibelius Sounds": then you will not be able to output to the Clavinova.

Can you clarify a little bit what it is that you are trying to achieve? Earlier you said you wanted to play back through the Clavinova: why now do you want to play back through Sibelius Sounds as well?

If you have selected Playback Configuration "Clavinova", then Sibelius will send all output to the Clavinova, and none to Sibelius Sounds.

If you have selected Playback Configuration "Sibelius Sounds", then Sibelius will send all output to Sibelius Sounds on the MacBook, and none to the Clavinova.

So you can use "Playback Configuration" effectively as a way of choosing which output device you want to use.

Although it is possible to have a split configuration, where Sibelius Sounds plays some instruments, and the Clavinova plays others, that gets quite complicated, so let's try walking before running.

Edit: corrected for Sib 6 names.

--

Posted by Karen LeFrak - 27 Dec 05:06PM
When away from Clavinova I want to then use my lap top air book as the audio. I no longer ee Sibelius sounds as an opto
Ion even when clav is not connected. So now there are indeed two problems, both concerning audio output. With the additional problem of the clav not being able to input notes on score. Am I making sense now?

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 05:32PM
So, have you set Playback Configuration to "Sibelius Sounds"?

Are you then able to play through Sibelius Sounds?

If not, please attach a screen shot of the Playback Devices window, or failing that, a description of what you see in the right-hand column with "Sibelius Sounds" selected as the current configuration.

--

Posted by Karen LeFrak - 27 Dec 05:51PM
Robin, there is nothing in that window when not connected to Clavinova. Where did sounds go..it worked yesterday before I fussed with Clavinova settings

Posted by Robert Enns - 27 Dec 06:17PM

You can create a playback configuration which has both the Clavinova and Sibelius sounds. Then you can use other staves to play Sibelius sounds.
--
Rob
Win 7 64 bit, 3.1 GHz, 8 Gigs RAM
Sibelius 7.03, Sibelius Sounds 7.03, Photoscore Ult., GPO4

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 06:34PM
Karen, what do you have Playback Configuration set to?

--

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 06:49PM
Karen, thanks for the photo you e-mailed me.

In the Playback Devices window, please click on "Audio Engine Options", and then check that "Use virtual instruments and effects" is checked (for YES). Quit and restart Sibelius.

Do Sibelius Sounds work now?

--

Posted by Karen LeFrak - 27 Dec 07:57PM
Robin, "use virtual instruments and effects' is not an option when i click on audio engine options in the playback devices window. is it somewhere else?

Posted by Robin Walker - 27 Dec 08:03PM
OK, maybe that's a PC, not a Mac, thing?

--

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac air to... - Karen LeFrak, 26 Dec 09:52PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Andy G, 26 Dec 11:19PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 04:08AM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Jim Druckenmiller, 27 Dec 04:56AM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Andy G, 27 Dec 10:32AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 11:16AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 12:17PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 01:24PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 03:50PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Laurence Payne, 27 Dec 04:37PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 04:51PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 05:06PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 05:32PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 05:51PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robert Enns, 27 Dec 06:17PM
             Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 06:34PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 06:49PM
     Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Karen LeFrak, 27 Dec 07:57PM
         Re: Sib. 6.x: connecting sibelius on new mac ai... - Robin Walker, 27 Dec 08:03PM