'Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibelius 7 Sounds'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibelius 7 ... - Trevor Brown, 08 Sep 09:18PM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Trevor Brown, 09 Sep 10:12AM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 09 Sep 02:11PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - David Gale, 10 Sep 08:32PM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - bbbach, 11 Sep 04:42AM
                 Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 12 Sep 11:48PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 13 Sep 09:21AM
                         Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Robin Walker, 13 Sep 09:52AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 13 Sep 02:02PM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 13 Sep 03:24PM
                                     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 13 Sep 03:44PM

Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibelius 7 Sounds
Posted by Trevor Brown - 08 Sep 09:18PM
Hi, - can anyone help me with this.
I've been running Sib.6 quite happily on my Mac Pro and upgraded to Sib.7 yesterday. The program installed and runs with no problem. I then installed the complete Sibelius 7 Sounds library (from the DVDs) onto a separate internal hard drive. (I then upgraded the program to 7.0.2 and upgraded the sound library.)
When I attempted to playback a couple of the demo files it was pretty obvious that the hard drive containing the sound library was not up to the job as the sounds were 'skipping' badly and the drive itself was 'chattering' away in the Mac. I then copied the files from the internal drive to a brand new Iomega 2-Terabyte desktop drive and deleted the original files from the internal drive.
When I restarted Sibelius it asked me to locate the sound library so I directed it to the folder that I'd created that contains the copied files. I now find that if I select the Sibelius 7 Sounds configuration I get no sound from any instruments. There's plenty of visual activity in the Mixer window, but I hear nothing. I checked the playback devices and the Sib.6 Essential Sounds work fine, so I know that it's not a problem with the audio output in general, just with playback of the new library. On start-up, the Sibelius 'splash' window shows me all the sounds being located, so why don't they playback? There doesn't seem to be any activity from the external hard drive either.
In desperation I re-installed the library onto the external drive from the DVDs again, over-writing the existing files, but the result is the same.(At least when the library was on the internal drive, as bad as it was, I could hear Sibelius trying to play the sounds..)
I may have done something wrong here, but if anyone can offer me any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks...
Bruno

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibelius 7 Sounds
Posted by Trevor Brown - 09 Sep 10:12AM (edited 09 Sep 10:17AM)
Hi Bruno

I'm not sure how your message got my header on it.
--
Trevor Brown
MacBook Pro 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mac Os X 10.6.8
email browndance@cix.co.uk

Posted by Hugh S Field-Richards - 09 Sep 02:11PM
Hi - I have exactly the same problem. I also notice that trying to export a sound (aiff) file creates an empty file. Using Sibelius 6 sounds works fine. It would interesting to get a definitive guide to where each sound file should be and exactly what there should be in each folder.

Thanks

Hugh Field-Richards
Hop Vine Music

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 6 GB
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

Posted by David Gale - 10 Sep 08:32PM
Same problem here.

The Sib 7 sounds work fine on my laptop, but my studio Mac pro has VU's flashing on the Sibelius mixer, but no sound. The difference is that the samples are located on a 2nd internal drive. This should make playback better, shouldn't it? :-)

I'm not impressed with 7 at all. Far too many bugs for things that are basic and should have been sorted out long before release.

I thought Avid were supposed to look after their pro usership? ;-)

Posted by bbbach - 11 Sep 04:42AM
I had many numerous problems with having Sib 7 sounds on a secondary drive. Finally installed it on the primary to get some work done and the problems (for the most part) have gone away. Still having tons of problems using Sib 7 sounds and Kontakt at the same time... but that's another story.

B

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 12 Sep 11:48PM
We have had a couple of reports of problems from people who have moved the Sibelius 7 Sounds library after first installing it on Mac. I suggest you try the following, if you can bear to:

Delete the file Sibelius 7 Sounds.xml in /Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius Sounds/Libraries.

Delete the Sibelius 7 Sounds folder from /Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius Sounds.

Now run the Sibelius 7 Sounds installer(s) again from the DVDs or your download, and specify the final location in which you want the samples to reside as the installation location, rather than allowing it to use the default path and then moving it later.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help online:
http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/contact.html

Contact Sibelius technical help by phone (charges may apply):
USA & Canada: +1 650-731-6106
UK: +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Hugh S Field-Richards - 13 Sep 09:21AM
Interesting - cleared out the whole of the Version 7 sounds as suggested (including the app).

Re-installed from the file Sibelius702b8.dmg

Went through the install process; no mention in the custom load about sounds. At end of install app loaded ok. Only other file loaded was

/Library/Application Support/Avid/Common/RewireLaunch

No sign of any sounds being loaded.

When I run Version 7 it now tells me I have no time left on the trial (I should have at least 20 days left). Irritating.

Certainly no sign of Version 7 sounds in the Play setup dialog - only Version 6.

Si far deeply unimpressed with Version 7 and unless things sort quickly (and I get the 20 days back) I am going to stick with Version 6 as I cannot afford to change.

Hugh Field-Richards
Hop Vine Music

www.hopvine-music.com
www.paloose.org

Posted by Robin Walker - 13 Sep 09:52AM
Hugh, there is no sounds installer in Sibelius702b8.dmg, which is the application installer only. You have not installed any sounds, if that is all you have tried to install. There are four sounds installers, one on each of the four DVD-ROMs. You need to install all four of those. Sibelius 7 Sounds are not available to users of the downloaded 30-day trial, they are available only to those who have purchased the product.

--
Sibelius 7.0.2/6.2, PhotoScore Ult 7.0.2, Dolet 6 for Sibelius, Windows 7 32-bit SP1, 4GB RAM

Posted by Hugh S Field-Richards - 13 Sep 02:02PM
Thanks for that Robin.

A couple of things occur to me.

1. It would be useful to say that the sounds only come with the DVD version not the download version.

2. The Version 7 sounds on the demo page sound much like the Version 6 sounds (which is why I wanted to check using a Version 7 Sibelius directly).

3. Having the demo timer expire when I reload the demo is not good. I wanted to finish evaluating the other stuff before I decided.

4. Is it possible to turn off the ribbon bar and reinstate the Version 6 menu system ? That way those who are completely at home with Version 6 can get the benefit of the extra features of Version 7 without having another set of ribbon buttons to learn.

Sadly, on the basis of the above I am going to stick to Version 6 (without full evaluation it is really not worth changing even if the sounds turn out to be better).

Hugh

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 13 Sep 03:24PM
You can't eliminate the ribbon and restore the Sibelius 6 menus. We have no plans to make that possible, now or in the future.

Unfortunately, when you uninstall and reinstall the demo, the trial period is automatically ended, as a protection measure against people trying to get the trial period to start again.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help online:
http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/contact.html

Contact Sibelius technical help by phone (charges may apply):
USA & Canada: +1 650-731-6106
UK: +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Hugh S Field-Richards - 13 Sep 03:44PM
Fair enough about the ribbon. At least most of the hot keys are the same.

However it would be a useful caveat to warn people who are having troubles that reinstalling sets the demo timer to finished.

Hugh

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibelius 7 ... - Trevor Brown, 08 Sep 09:18PM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Trevor Brown, 09 Sep 10:12AM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 09 Sep 02:11PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - David Gale, 10 Sep 08:32PM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - bbbach, 11 Sep 04:42AM
                 Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 12 Sep 11:48PM
                     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 13 Sep 09:21AM
                         Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Robin Walker, 13 Sep 09:52AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 13 Sep 02:02PM
                                 Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 13 Sep 03:24PM
                                     Re: Sib. 7.0: Sibelius not playing back Sibeliu... - Hugh S Field-Richards, 13 Sep 03:44PM