'Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the default to guitar chord diagram'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the d... - Henry Robinett, 10 Feb 05:19PM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Jeremy Hughes, 10 Feb 05:35PM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Henry Robinett, 10 Feb 07:03PM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Jeremy Hughes, 10 Feb 07:05PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Henrik Hermansen, 11 Feb 09:39AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Jeremy Hughes, 11 Feb 10:05AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Henry Robinett, 11 Feb 07:05PM

Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the default to guitar chord diagram
Posted by Henry Robinett - 10 Feb 05:19PM
I know I can get rid of it, but I apparently can't change the default. This is so remarkably TERRIBLE!!!! Please. I hate this with a passion!!!! When I input chords I don't want to see the chord diagram unless I decide I want it to be chord diagram. Not all guitar players need them. Reading pro guitarist don't. These are just for students. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

--
All the best,

MacPro Quad 2.8/MacPro 2.66 10.6.6/1.67 gz Powerbook 10.4.11, Sibelius 6.2, Kontakt2, DP 7, PT9, Reason, Ableton Live, Metric Halo ULN-8 (4x), ULN-2

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the default to guitar chord diagram
Posted by Jeremy Hughes - 10 Feb 05:35PM
Hi there

While you are waiting for Sibelius to accede to your politely phrased request, you have a couple of options:

First, you can make a modified version of whatever guitar instrument(s) you use regularly, so they show only the chord symbols, not the diagrams. This is done via House Style>Edit Instruments... where you select the instrument and click on New Instrument or Edit Instrument, and then (under 'Chord Symbols', bottom right) untick the box for 'Show guitar chord diagrams by default'.

This will work in that score wherever you use the modified instrument(s).

To use the instrument(s) you just modified in new scores, it's probably best to make a Manuscript Paper (template) which you can use from the New Score dialog.

You could also simply start a new score from the old one by using Save As..., giving it a new name, and then deleting the unwanted music. This will leave the instrument definitions in place.

Finally you could export the house style from the score in which you made the changes, and then import it (or at least the Instrument definitions and related information) into scores where you want to use the instruments.

(If you chose to Edit the guitars rather than create new versions in the initial modification stage, then importing that house style into a score that has the guitar instrument present, with chord diagrams showing, will immediately make the diagrams disappear.)

Hope that helps

Jeremy
--
music editor/engraver
Sibelius 6.2 | iMac | OS X Version 10.6.6 Snow Leopard

Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the default to guitar chord diagram
Posted by Henry Robinett - 10 Feb 07:03PM

Well thanks Jeremy. Every once in a while I feel I have to remind the folks at Sibelius about this. As a professional guitarist I just find it completely insulting that this is the default and that you have to jump through hoops to get rid of it. It's like handing a whole class of people a bib. It's insulting.
--
All the best,

MacPro Quad 2.8/MacPro 2.66 10.6.6/1.67 gz Powerbook 10.4.11, Sibelius 6.2, Kontakt2, DP 7, PT9, Reason, Ableton Live, Metric Halo ULN-8 (4x), ULN-2

Posted by Jeremy Hughes - 10 Feb 07:05PM
Hi there

So sorry for misunderstanding your post. I thought you wanted a solution.

My mistake

Jeremy
--
music editor/engraver

Posted by Henrik Hermansen - 11 Feb 09:39AM
I agree on the default setting problem, especially for this one. Chord diagrams are imo for beginners, so unless you are publishing for beginners the diagrams are not wanted as default.

In general I think the there's too much work(around) involved for changing settings permanently. You always have to export and then import for each new score, use templates, save as (and then need to clean the old score for music, text, wrong key etc) or do other manual steps.

For myself I'll always use the same altered "defaults":
- No chord diagrams
- Scandinavian chords (I don't move to a different country between creating new scores)
- Calibri lyrics fonts
- Don't hide dashes in lyrics
- etc...

It would be so nice if you could just make Sibelius use your personal settings always. As I have suggested before, by letting users save the current settings (house style, engraving rules etc.) as a profile, and then use this profile in future. But still with the option to return to factory profile if you want.

--
Henrik Hermansen, Denmark
Sibelius 6.2 on Windows 7 + Choral and Rock&Pop

Posted by Jeremy Hughes - 11 Feb 10:05AM
Hi there

Henrik, you're describing pretty much exactly what Manuscript Papers do.

If you set up all your defaults in a score called 'Henrik's settings', and then use File>Export>Manuscript Paper, then whenever you start a score, you can choose this template in the New Score dialog. After you've chosen it once, Sibelius remembers it for you, so you don't even need to find it in the list.

Hope that helps

Jeremy
--
music editor/engraver

Posted by Henry Robinett - 11 Feb 07:05PM
Come on guys! Putting a chord diagram as a default is like having a picture fingering chart for every note a clarinetist plays. It's insulting. The people who play THIS INSTRUMENT are so stupid you have to draw pictures for them because everyone knows they can't read. It is a beginners thing. You must assume people write music for readers, unless they're buying the edition for teachers who are using it for their students. Please stop this.

--
All the best,

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the d... - Henry Robinett, 10 Feb 05:19PM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Jeremy Hughes, 10 Feb 05:35PM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Henry Robinett, 10 Feb 07:03PM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Jeremy Hughes, 10 Feb 07:05PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Henrik Hermansen, 11 Feb 09:39AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Jeremy Hughes, 11 Feb 10:05AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.2: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of t... - Henry Robinett, 11 Feb 07:05PM