'Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 02:03AM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Bob Zawalich, 10 Jul 02:10AM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 07:00PM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Laurence Payne, 10 Jul 01:13PM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 07:01PM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Bob Zawalich, 10 Jul 07:22PM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 07:18PM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Alexander Mickhailov, 11 Jul 09:28PM

Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry
Posted by Brian J. Leader - 10 Jul 02:03AM
Is there a way to turn off automatic note entry after selecting something with the mouse then playing a MIDI keyboard? I’d like to click a staff to change instruments and then play the keyboard without it entering notes while I’m playing.

For example, if I'm rehearsing singers with a track, I want to be able to select something in the score, hit "P" for playback, then play live to give them their parts without being in "note entry" mode.

Basically, regardless of whether something is selected in the score or not, I'd like to play the MIDI keyboard without Sibelius entering notes while I play. I'm always clicking then forgetting to hit escape. So Sibelius enters lots of notes that I don't want.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded question... I'm tired.

-- Brian

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry
Posted by Bob Zawalich - 10 Jul 02:10AM
Hitting ESC or disabling MIDI input are really the only 2 ways to do this at this point in time.

Something like this has been requested numerous times over the years.

--
Bob

Sib 1.4 - 6.2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo; Audiophile 2496; 4 G RAM. Year 2010.
I am an experienced Sibelius user, but am not affiliated with Sibelius Software.
Sib Plugin downloads: www.sibelius.com/download/plugins (see How to Install Plugins)
Alphabetical plugin list: www.bobzawalich.com/AllPluginsOnDownloadPage.htm

Posted by Brian J. Leader - 10 Jul 07:00PM
Bob,

Can I disable MIDI input within Sibelius? I didn't see a way. What I'm thinking is I can use another program at the same time to handle my live playing and just use Sibelius for playback until I actually want to write something.

It seems silly for Sibelius to always be in "record" mode whenever something is selected. A simple preference would handle this, so the user could tell Sibelius to always be in that mode or use a button to switch it on or off.

Thanks,

Brian

Posted by Laurence Payne - 10 Jul 01:13PM
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 02:03:17, "Brian J. Leader" <brian@mythicwave.com>
wrote:

>Is there a way to turn off automatic note entry after selecting something with
>the mouse then playing a MIDI keyboard? I’d like to click a staff to change
>instruments and then play the keyboard without it entering notes while I’m playing.
>
>
>For example, if I'm rehearsing singers with a track, I want to be able to select
>something in the score, hit "P" for playback, then play live to give them their
>parts without being in "note entry" mode.
>
>Basically, regardless of whether something is selected in the score or not, I'd
>like to play the MIDI keyboard without Sibelius entering notes while I play. I'm
>always clicking then forgetting to hit escape. So Sibelius enters lots of notes
>that I don't want.
>
>
>Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded question... I'm tired.
>
>-- Brian

Hit ESC. Hit it twice, just to be sure!

After a bit this becomes a reflex action. Another good reflex action
to cultivate is hitting CTRL-S at frequent intervals :-)

Posted by Brian J. Leader - 10 Jul 07:01PM
This isn't practical for what I'm doing. I'll give you a scenario...

Yesterday I was rehearsing with singers. I was using Sibelius to play the piano track from the middle of a song while I plunked out their melody where necessary. I had to hit escape before playing otherwise Sibelius would enter notes. The problem is that when I hit escape, it loses my selection, so when typing "P", playback starts from the beginning of the song. So my only solution was to hit "Ctrl-Z" many times to undo the notes Sibelius had created.

It seems very silly for Sibelius to always be in record mode whenever you click something.

-- Brian

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 10 Jul 07:22PM
Silly or not, that is how it has always been. As I mentioned, this has been complained about before.

You can deactivate your input device, if somewhat awkwardly, but unchecking in in File > Preferences >Input Devices. You will have to have the keyboard produce its own sounds to be able to hear it, so MIDI Thru should be off.

You can probably also turn off MIDI out for your keyboard, which may or may not be easier.

There is no shortcut for this.

I have heard of people installing a hardware switch to turn it off.

You can use Play > Replay (Ctrl+space) to play back from the last place you played, which might mitigate the no selection problem a bit.

--
Bob

Sib 1.4 - 6.2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo; Audiophile 2496; 4 G RAM. Year 2010.
I am an experienced Sibelius user, but am not affiliated with Sibelius Software.
Sib Plugin downloads: www.sibelius.com/download/plugins (see How to Install Plugins)
Alphabetical plugin list: www.bobzawalich.com/AllPluginsOnDownloadPage.htm

Posted by Brian J. Leader - 10 Jul 07:18PM
Oh, you can use Ctrl-space to replay from your last playback point even if something isn't selected. This is a solution, but still it would be better to have a preference that turned auto record mode off.

-- Brian

Posted by Alexander Mickhailov - 11 Jul 09:28PM
Brian, there are very simple way to do what you want. First, click a staff you want to play by your MIDI keyboard, then press "ESC", or click on empty space. Then select a barline you want to start with, and hit "P". Now you can play your MIDI keyboard alongside Sibelius without entering notes.
My best regards. (Sibelius is most outstanding app)

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 02:03AM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Bob Zawalich, 10 Jul 02:10AM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 07:00PM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Laurence Payne, 10 Jul 01:13PM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 07:01PM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Bob Zawalich, 10 Jul 07:22PM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Brian J. Leader, 10 Jul 07:18PM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: Turning off MIDI note entry - Alexander Mickhailov, 11 Jul 09:28PM