'Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Windows 7'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Windows 7 - Eoin, 29 May 05:25PM
     Re: Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Wi... - Robin Walker, 29 May 05:57PM
     Re: Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Wi... - Laurence Payne, 29 May 05:58PM
         Re: Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Wi... - Eoin, 29 May 06:53PM

Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Windows 7
Posted by Eoin - 29 May 05:25PM
I bought a new computer today with Windows 7. I'm still using Sibelius 3 (I do hope to upgrade later this year).

When I double click on one of my score files to open it, a small window first appears asking "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?" By clicking on Yes, I am brought to the score. I know that there was some kind of Windows XP Service pack released years ago to combat this problem. Is there any similar way of getting around this problem with Windows 7?

Thanks

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Windows 7
Posted by Robin Walker - 29 May 05:57PM
I guess this might be because Sibelius 3 is unsigned, and it is trying to make changes to areas of the system that are protected from change by Windows 7. I think you will have to put up with this.

--
Sibelius 6.2, PhotoScore Ult 6.1, Dolet 5.3 for Sibelius, Windows XP Pro SP3 & Windows 7, 2GB RAM

Posted by Laurence Payne - 29 May 05:58PM
This is surely UAC (User Account Control) being fussy? And it first appeared in Windows Vista?

I wouldn't consider it a problem, just Windows being a little over-cautious.

You can go to Control Panel/Users and turn down the level of UAC. Or R-clicking the Sibelius icon and setting Compatibility/Run as Administrator might help. Or you could just live with the notification as a minor irritation - a small price to pay for the continuing improvements in malware-resistence in later versions of Windows.

Posted by Eoin - 29 May 06:53PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't mind putting up with this, as I have been putting up with it in Windows Vista for the past year anyway. I'm assuming though that this won't happen when I upgrade to Sibelius 6? But if there are any simple solutions, by all means fire away.

Thanks again.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Windows 7 - Eoin, 29 May 05:25PM
     Re: Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Wi... - Robin Walker, 29 May 05:57PM
     Re: Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Wi... - Laurence Payne, 29 May 05:58PM
         Re: Sib. 3.x: Problem opening Sib 3 files in Wi... - Eoin, 29 May 06:53PM