'Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound on playback (Sibelius + General Midi = Crash)'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound on p... - Jim Druckenmiller, 24 May 07:52AM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound ... - Robin Walker, 24 May 11:21AM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound ... - IlDavo, 20 Oct 03:31AM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound ... - Robin Walker, 20 Oct 09:19AM

Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound on playback (Sibelius + General Midi = Crash)
Posted by Jim Druckenmiller - 24 May 07:52AM (edited 24 May 07:55AM)
Is there a preferred way to update the Windows General Midi Drivers?

I just installed the newest version of Scorch and I don’t get any playback sounds (no matter what setting I choose for the Sound Device).

In a seemingly related problem when I go change the Playback Devices Configuration within Sibelius, if I set it on. . .

- General Midi basic. . . I get no sound
- General midi (enhanced). . . Sibelius will crash (every time)
- Sibelius Sound Essentials. . . This works well with no problems. It’s what I normally use, but it doesn’t suffice for Scorch Playback.
--

Windows XP, M-Audio Audiophile 192 Soundcard (updated to most recent drivers, but so far they seem to be inferior to the previous ones, at least when general midi is configured).

Looking for opinions on best approach towards trouble shooting this. . . I’d like to get the Scorch playback to work (even though I don’t use it much). And I don’t like the idea that I can force a crash regarding Sibelius.

Take Care,

Jim
Attachments a_missing midi module.png (8K), a_Playback Devices.png (9K), a_sibelius unhappy.png (12K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound on playback (Sibelius + General Midi = Crash)
Posted by Robin Walker - 24 May 11:21AM
Jim,

There is almost no overlap between Scorch and Sibelius for sound output, so your problems with both are either (a) independent, or (b) both down to a Windows XP issue.

If you have not already done so, please restart Windows XP, and try again. If the problem(s) persist, read on:

Then open control panel "Sounds and Audio Devices", and click tab "Audio". In the area "MIDI music playback", check that the "Default device" shown actually exists and is working - change the selection if necessary. If you select "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth", then click the "Volume" button and check that the "SW Synth" mixer slider is not muted or set to a low volume. (NB this muting can happen after playing a MIDI file in Windows Media Player).

Check that your chosen MIDI output is working by using any application that sends output to MIDI (apart from Windows Media Player). If necessary, check that your loudspeakers are active and that you can hear other sorts of sound through them.

Then try Scorch. Before trying to play the score, click on the "Choose Playback Device" button. In turn, select each MIDI output device shown, and click "Test". Choose one that works, and click "OK". Now play the score.

As for the Sibelius problem, check in "Task Manager", tab "Processes", that there is only ONE instance of "sibelius.exe" running. (or, to put it another way, quit Sibelius and check that there are NO instances of "sibelius.exe" running). If there is a duplicate "sibelius.exe" present which does not correspond to the one that you are trying to use, then right-click it and select "End process". If you value your music, do NOT do this with the instance of Sibelius that you are in the middle of using.

--
Sibelius 6.2, PhotoScore Ult 6.1, Dolet 5.3 for Sibelius, Windows XP Pro SP3 & Windows 7, 2GB RAM

Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound on playback (Sibelius + General Midi = Crash)
Posted by IlDavo - 20 Oct 03:31AM
Found on another board:

Check if you've got your got your midi synth volume on mute or turned down.

Start > Control Panel > Sounds > press advanced on the volume screen then you should see all your volumes.

This was my problem: Master Volume dialog showed my "SW Synth" was muted!

Posted by Robin Walker - 20 Oct 09:19AM
On Windows XP, Windows Media Player will mute the MIDI mixer output volume after every time it has used it, which might explain why you cannot hear any MIDI playback.

This doesn't explain why Sibelius crashes when you try to use General MIDI (enhanced), and that is a separate issue.

--
Sibelius 7.0.2/6.2, PhotoScore Ult 7.0.2, Dolet 6 for Sibelius, Windows 7 32-bit SP1, 4GB RAM

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound on p... - Jim Druckenmiller, 24 May 07:52AM
     Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound ... - Robin Walker, 24 May 11:21AM
         Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound ... - IlDavo, 20 Oct 03:31AM
             Re: Sib. 6.2: Scorch + General Midi = No Sound ... - Robin Walker, 20 Oct 09:19AM