'Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Vladimir Konstantinov, 26 Apr 11:28AM
     Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - TimB, 26 Apr 03:08PM
         Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Vladimir Konstantinov, 26 Apr 03:37PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Daniel Spreadbury, 26 Apr 09:35PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Vladimir Konstantinov, 26 Apr 09:54PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Daniel Spreadbury, 27 Apr 12:16AM

Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature
Posted by Vladimir Konstantinov - 26 Apr 11:28AM
Did not find the way to change the key signature from F# major to enharmonic Gb major, after a modulation in the middle of my score. (6 sharps for saxes is too much, they prefer to have 6 flats, don't they?) I’m referring to the transposed score/parts, the “concert pitch” is A major. Any advice?

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature
Posted by TimB - 26 Apr 03:08PM
Not sure about 6.1, but in 5.x when you insert a key change there is a tick box saying "one staff only". I think, in your parts in Eb (i.e. your alto saxes), you should be able to use this to insert Gb key sig at the appropriate place and it won't show up in your score.

As to whether they prefer 6 flats, I don't think they would like that, I think they prefer 6 sharps. It's relatively common to have a 6 sharp key sig for the altos in big band music for example (where the vocal is in A) but I've never seen 6 flats.

Also, assuming you are producing a score at transposed pitch, it will really screw with the conductor's mind to see one part in 6 flats and other parts in 3 and 5 sharps! (C and Bb instruments)

Posted by Vladimir Konstantinov - 26 Apr 03:37PM
Thanks for the reply.
Putting aside the matter of preferences (apparently they differ), let's find a solution of the initial problem. There is not the case of inserting 6 flats key signature, but 9 (sic!), i.e. the the sounding key signature (and the inserted one) should be Bbb major, which is not given as an option at all...

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 26 Apr 09:35PM
Is 'Respell remote key signatures in transposing scores' switched on, on the Clefs and Key Signatures page of House Style > Engraving Rules.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Vladimir Konstantinov - 26 Apr 09:54PM
Yes, it is... What further actions needed?

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 27 Apr 12:16AM
In that case you will need to go to House Style > Edit Instruments, create a new instrument based on your saxophone, change its transposition to be D#3 rather than Eb3, then create an instrument change to your new saxophone just before the change of key.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Vladimir Konstantinov, 26 Apr 11:28AM
     Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - TimB, 26 Apr 03:08PM
         Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Vladimir Konstantinov, 26 Apr 03:37PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Daniel Spreadbury, 26 Apr 09:35PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Vladimir Konstantinov, 26 Apr 09:54PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1. Enharmonic change of key signature - Daniel Spreadbury, 27 Apr 12:16AM