'Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Active Devices' list - no sound on playback'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Active ... - Bob K, 03 Apr 06:55PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Terry Carter, Rural Michigan USA, 03 Apr 07:17PM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Bob K, 03 Apr 08:18PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Colin Graham, 03 Apr 09:28PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Bob K, 03 Apr 09:59PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Gerald Stockstill, 05 Apr 11:14PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Bob K, 05 Apr 11:44PM

Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Active Devices' list - no sound on playback
Posted by Bob K - 03 Apr 06:55PM
I'm getting no sound on playback if I use the new Sibelius Sounds Essentials that came with Sibelius 6.

I went to Play-> Playback Devices and made sure that the selected Configuration was 'Sibelius Sounds'.

According to the 'Upgrading to Sibelius 6' guide, now I should see 'Sibelius Sounds' in the right-hand side of the 'Active Devices' page.

But it's not there. That window is empty. The left-hand pane has a long list of 'Available Devices', including Sibelius Player, but I cannot select any of them. (I click on them and nothing happens.)

If I switch the Configuration to 'Sibelius Essentials', playback DOES work using the old Kontakt Player from previous versions of Sibelius. But I'd like to use the new sounds for v6.

I re-installed Sibelius Sounds Essentials from the Sibelius 6 upgrade disc, but that didn't help. I checked the install location (Library -> Application Support ->Sibelius Software), and the 'Essentials for Sibelius 6' folder was in its proper place.

Any ideas?

--
Bob K
Sibelius 6.1, Mac G5 dual 2.0 (June 2004), 2.5 GB RAM, OS 10.5.8

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Active Devices' list - no sound on playback
Posted by Terry Carter, Rural Michigan USA - 03 Apr 07:17PM (edited 03 Apr 07:29PM)
I don't know why the "Sibelius Sounds" configuration does not display any active device. It is the default configuration and cannot be modified. Notice that it is "Sibelius Sounds" not any other name. It contains the "Sibelius Player" device which plays from the "Essentials" soundset and not any other device or soundset.

For other devices or device combinations, create a new configuration, give it a name, and save it. Then activate the devices you need.

Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Active Devices' list - no sound on playback
Posted by Bob K - 03 Apr 08:18PM (edited 03 Apr 08:19PM)
Thanks for the reply, Terry.

> It is the default configuration and cannot be modified. Notice that it is "Sibelius Sounds" not any other name. It contains the "Sibelius Player" device which plays from the "Essentials" soundset and not any other device or soundset.>

Yes, I'm aware of all of this already. The point is that without an Active Device, it won't play back, and I was trying to figure out why one of the default Configurations isn't working properly.

> For other devices or device combinations, create a new configuration, give it a name, and save it. Then activate the devices you need.>

Since all I want is to use the default Sibelius Player, I hadn't thought of creating my own configuration. But it's a good way to test whether the Sibelius Sounds player and library are working.

I created a new configuration and was able to add Sibelius Player to the Active Devices window. Playback worked fine, so both the player or the Essentials sound library seem to be OK.

I guess there's no reason not to just use this Configuration instead of the default one as a work-around. I just hope that the problem with the default Config is not a symptom of some other deeper issue.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Posted by Colin Graham - 03 Apr 09:28PM
There were some previous references to deleting Plogue Engine or something in posts about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but since I don't have a Mac I didn't pay much attention...
Try a search on the forums for 'plogue' and 'daniel' and see if it points you in the right direction...
--
Colin Graham
(ex Sib 4.0, now 6.1 and Windows 7)
http://colingraham.terapad.com/
Counter-tenor, recorder player, composer, SCORE user
Barbershop harmony singer, arranger & contest judge

Posted by Bob K - 03 Apr 09:59PM
Colin,

Thanks so much! That did it. You have a great memory!

I did a search for 'Plogue' and 'Daniel' and pieced together a solution:

Daniel advised one Mac user to delete the 'PlogueEngine' folder. I tried that (and then of course restarted Sibelius), and it didn't help.

Then I saw another post, directed at a Windows user, that said to delete that folder along with the 'Playback Configurations' folder.

When I trashed BOTH folders and restarted Sibelius, the default Sibelius Sounds configuration works as it should: I heard sound on playback, and the Sibelius Player now appears in the 'Active Devices' pane as it should.

By the way, if any other Mac users have this problem those folders are located here:

(user home)/Library/Application Support/Sibelius Software/Sibelius 6

Thanks again, Colin.

Posted by Gerald Stockstill - 05 Apr 11:14PM
Thank you for posting this solution Bob! I have been trying to figure this out ever since I installed Sib. 6.1 a couple of weeks ago. Maddening!!! The "Windows" solution worked for me as well.

Gerald

Posted by Bob K - 05 Apr 11:44PM (edited 05 Apr 11:46PM)
Glad this helped. And I agree, it's maddening. Sibelius seems to be aware of this issue, but when I searched the help system for playback issues, before starting this thread, I got nothing helpful.

I hope you'll consider sending a note to Sibelius tech support about this so maybe they'll post a support document. We're obviously not alone in having this issue and having a support document could have saved time.

(I'd started an exchange with tech support just before the weekend, and when I received a reply today, I told them about this solution, which they had not (yet) suggested.)

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Active ... - Bob K, 03 Apr 06:55PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Terry Carter, Rural Michigan USA, 03 Apr 07:17PM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Bob K, 03 Apr 08:18PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Colin Graham, 03 Apr 09:28PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Bob K, 03 Apr 09:59PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Gerald Stockstill, 05 Apr 11:14PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Sibelius Player missing from 'Act... - Bob K, 05 Apr 11:44PM