'Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Salieri, 26 Mar 11:15PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Peter Roos, 27 Mar 12:33AM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Jim Druckenmiller, 27 Mar 01:09AM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 27 Mar 09:33AM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Noel Fidge, 30 Mar 07:08AM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 31 Mar 10:42PM

Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines
Posted by Salieri - 26 Mar 11:15PM
I have a passage with the MM quarter note equals 80. I inserted a "molto rit" line and it slowed to 63. That was too slow, so I tried plain "rit." But that also slowed it to 63. So did "poco rit." Shouldn't they establish different degrees of ritardando?

BTW, "poco rall" also gives me 63.

Thanks.

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines
Posted by Peter Roos - 27 Mar 12:33AM
You may get a better result if you set the second metronome marker to where you want it to be, and then enter a ritando line between the two metronome markers. Make sure you draw up the lines right up to the metronome markers.

That should slow the score down to where you want it to go.

--
Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com

Posted by Jim Druckenmiller - 27 Mar 01:09AM (edited 27 Mar 01:58AM)
> I have a passage with the MM quarter note equals 80. I inserted a "molto rit" line and it slowed to 63. That was too slow, so I tried plain "rit." But that also slowed it to 63. So did "poco rit." Shouldn't they establish different degrees of ritardando?
>
> BTW, "poco rall" also gives me 63.
>
> Thanks.
----------------

If you select the Rit and then go into the properties menu. . . >Windows >Properties under Playback you have a couple of settings you can adjust for a Gliss / Rit / Accel.

I prefer the method Peter mentioned, but in the interest of knowing what your options are, keep this one in mind as well.

----
Here's a recent thread, from when I asked a similar question.

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=487044&groupid=3&words=leon%20russell&name=

Take Care,

Jim

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 27 Mar 09:33AM
Each of the rit. lines produces the same default change in tempo (ideally they wouldn't) so you will indeed need to use the Properties window to change the playback properties of each line you create.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Noel Fidge - 30 Mar 07:08AM
Daniel writes.....Each of the rit. lines produces the same default change in tempo (ideally they wouldn't)

A-ha! Is it possible to include this in the wish list for a future version? One almost assumes that once these words are established in one of Sibs. dictionaries, that they have play back properties matching the (notation) words.
May I also ask then what features (in notation terms)distinguish the differences between the 2 options given for poco rall and poco rall--etc

--
Noel

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 31 Mar 10:42PM
I would have hoped that my use of the words "ideally they wouldn't" would have given you a clue about whether or not this might already be on the wish list.

As for the difference in notation between these lines, you can choose whatever you prefer to see.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Salieri, 26 Mar 11:15PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Peter Roos, 27 Mar 12:33AM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Jim Druckenmiller, 27 Mar 01:09AM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 27 Mar 09:33AM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Noel Fidge, 30 Mar 07:08AM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: ritardando lines - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 31 Mar 10:42PM