'Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 06:20PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 06:36PM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 06:36PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 06:40PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 07:04PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 07:16PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 07:54PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 08:09PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 08:16PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Bob Zawalich, 01 Feb 09:43PM

Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection
Posted by John Elliott - 01 Feb 06:20PM
Is there a way to quickly/automatically add ties to all duplicate notes immediately following the initial appearance of a note?

I hope that makes sense.

[Note: ALL CAPS are used below ONLY for emphasis. They do not equate to shouting.]

LET ME EXPLAIN FURTHER. I enter music via keyboard only because I'm not accomplished enough (at all) to play directly into a score. I don't often know what chord will follow a given entry/chord until I play with it and get the sound I want. Then I often want to tie together all or most of the duplicate notes in subsequent chords. But it's laborious to do this one-at-a-time.

METHOD 1: Clicking on a note and hitting Enter on the numeric keypad (or selecting note and then choosing the tie symbol from the keypad window) is slow and tedious.

METHOD 2: Selecting an entire measure and hitting Enter on the numeric keypad (or selecting note and then choosing the tie symbol from the keypad window) is equally slow and tedious because that method will add ties to ALL notes requiring me to then find and delete the dangling ties.

I suppose I could run the Remove Dangling Ties plug-in in combination with the first part of METHOD 2. But is there a faster/easier/better way for someone like me?

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection
Posted by Richard Vitale - 01 Feb 06:36PM
Select the Top note of a chord.
Shift/Click the Bottom note of a chord. (This will select ALL chord notes.)
Push Enter.

--
Richie Vitale-Sib 6.1 User
iMac 2.66 Ghz Intel/Snow Leopard
2 GB RAM
http://www.myspace.com/richievitale

Posted by Richard Vitale - 01 Feb 06:36PM

--
2 GB RAM

Posted by John Elliott - 01 Feb 06:40PM
I thank you, Ritchie. However, I believe I have already covered that possibility in a less tedious/labor-intensive way in method 2 I mentioned above.

I'm looking for a quicker/easier way. But so far, Method 2 + Remove Dangling Ties seems to be the "best" way.

But I can still hope for a single-step method.

Any other ideas out there?

Posted by Richard Vitale - 01 Feb 07:04PM
Then I apologize:

Your method does say to select an entire bar, which I only do if I have a Whole Note in that particular bar.

The method I described does not require removing any ties, dangling or otherwise.

If there is a quicker way, someone will chime in soon.

:-)

--
2 GB RAM

Posted by John Elliott - 01 Feb 07:16PM
Thanks again, Ritchie.

However, still awaiting further word.

_____
Note to Ritchie:

When I try your suggestion --

> Select the Top note of a chord.
> Shift/Click the Bottom note of a chord. (This will select ALL chord
> notes.)
> Push Enter.

-- I get the same result that I do when I highlight the entire measure: all notes get ties and I still have to remove dangling ones.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Still, I am hoping for basically a one-click method: select the section I want, then use a one-click method/plug-in that adds ties only to those notes [in a chord] followed immediately by the same note [in the next chord].

Posted by Richard Vitale - 01 Feb 07:54PM (edited 01 Feb 08:00PM)
John,

The most I would hope for is a two-step method . . . the selection must be made first, then, the Tie Command.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

You will see that:
Click Top Note w/cursor w/Right Hand to select it,
Push Shift (keep it pressed) with Left Hand while clicking Bottom Note w/Right Hand,
selects only the chord.

Then, push "Enter".

It is quick and efficient.

Unless, or course, you are left-handed . . . then switch hands w/directions above.

--
2 GB RAM
Attachment Shift-Click.png (29K)

Posted by John Elliott - 01 Feb 08:09PM
Ritchie,

I believe you are right, as i suspected all along (two-step method).

But I also see what you are talking about (and what was missing from your suggestion and my own descriptions) and that is that the succeeding chord isn't always identical to the one before it. So no matter what "bulk" method I try regarding adding ties wholesale, I'm going to get dangling ties as long as the succeeding chord has any notes foreign to the preceding one. Thus, I'll always (at this point) have to use Remove Dangling Ties as well.

Thanks for all your help, and for sticking with me through this. I should have added a screen shot myself, initially, and some of the confusion (for me and you) would have been alleviated.

Ah live and learn.

Posted by Richard Vitale - 01 Feb 08:16PM
Hmm,

In that case, it is called a slur, as I've been reminded here a few times.

When I group select a chord and push "S" for slur, only the bottom note is slurred, so i will defer to any other suggestions on this subject.

--
2 GB RAM

Posted by Bob Zawalich - 01 Feb 09:43PM
There is no mechanism in Sibelius for adding a tie to a note only when there is following note of the same pitch. There are situations (such as an arpeggiated chord with each note ties to a following block chord) where tied notes will encounter other notes before the one they will tie to, so for Sibelius, it would not make sense to make such a limitation. There are also laisser vibrer ties, which are intentionally dangling ties (though it does not really work well to use ties for this).

So the workaround with the fewest steps would probably be John's: select a bar, jut keypad Enterm and run Remove Dangling Ties (with the plugin assigned to a keyboard shortcut).

What I might tend to do if there were not a lot of these in a bar would be to use ctrl/cmnd click to select each note I wanted tied, and then hit the keypad Enter key.

I suspect you could write a plugin that would take a selection and tie all notes that were followed immediately by a note of the same pitch, but unless you really do this all the time, I would doubt you would come anywhere near breaking even on the amount of work it would take to write the plugin, compared to doing the workaround.

--
Bob

Sib 1.4 - 6.1, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo; Audiophile 2496; 4 G RAM. Year 2010.
I am an experienced Sibelius user, but am not affiliated with Sibelius Software.
Sib Plugin downloads: http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins
Plugin install instructions: http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?help=install

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 06:20PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 06:40PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 07:04PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 07:16PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 07:54PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - John Elliott, 01 Feb 08:09PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Richard Vitale, 01 Feb 08:16PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Adding ties to notes in selection - Bob Zawalich, 01 Feb 09:43PM