'Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Jie Wang, 19 Jan 08:46PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Daniel Spreadbury, 20 Jan 11:48AM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Jim Stanley, 20 Jan 03:56PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Jim Stanley, 20 Jan 04:01PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - David Stephen Grant, 16 Feb 02:38PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Paolo Tramannoni, 18 Aug 11:19PM

Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1
Posted by Jie Wang - 19 Jan 08:46PM
A few years ago, I encountered the Boulez font on the Sibelius Source page: http://www.musicprep.com/sibelius/

The Boulez font is a freeware music font (suitable for use in Sibelius) provided by Phillip Gaskill that has short square beams instead of the usual curly flags on individual notes of less than a quarter note (crotchet) value.(see attachment)

I've been very fond of it and I copied a few of my compositions in Sibelius 3 with that font.

We are now marching forward to Sibelius 6.1, and Phil Gaskill is out of ideas. As for me, I'd hate to lose the look of those compositions particularly since they sound like "Boulez gone mad"...:-)

Is there a way I can make this font work with 6.1? Or is there a similar font i can download for free?

Thanks to you all,
Jie

--
Sibelius 6.1, mac os Snow, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, jw9@mac.com, & Sibelius rules!

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1
Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 20 Jan 11:48AM
I don't know why Boulez wouldn't work with Sibelius 6 if it worked with previous versions, but if all you're after is straight flags rather than curly flags, do this:

1. Choose House Style > Edit Symbols.
2. Scroll down to the Notes row.
3. Select the fifth symbol on the first row, and click Edit.
4. In the dialog that appears, scroll down to the bottom of the list of symbols, and choose symbol 252.
5. Repeat for the fifth symbol on the row below, this time choosing symbol 253.

You'll need to keep working your away along the row, replacing the symbols that are there with the new ones. Do it once, and you can export this as a house style to import into your other projects.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Jim Stanley - 20 Jan 03:56PM
Just on a lark I tried this, and it looks good with stems up, but not quite so good with stems down:

(Unless, as usual, I'm doing something amiss!)

--
Jim Stanley
Attachment BoulezStems.png (16K)

Posted by Jim Stanley - 20 Jan 04:01PM
Hmmmm.... playing around a bit and adjusting the flag -.31 spaces to the left is better, but there's still something about the stem lengths that aren't quite right...

--
Jim Stanley
Attachment BoulezStems2.png (14K)

Posted by David Stephen Grant - 16 Feb 02:38PM
Hi,
I was having some problems getting the straight flags to work (seemed to be getting a combination of straight AND curly flags), but after a bit of tinkering I got them working fine; here is a modified version of Daniel's instructions - maybe it can be of use for others having the same problems.
1. Choose House Style > Edit Symbols.
2. Scroll down to the Notes row.
3. Select the fifth symbol on the first row, and click Edit.
4. In the dialog that appears, scroll down to the bottom of the list of symbols, and choose symbol 252.
5. Repeat for the fifth symbol on the row below, this time choosing symbol 253, and adjust -0.31 spaces to the left.
6. Repeat steps 3-5, but now on the 9th symbol in the Notes row.
6. Repeat steps 3-5, but now on the 10th symbol in the Notes row. In the dialogue boxes you must also click Add, and add symbol 5 in the notes row, and adjust vertically -0.75 spaces (for stems up), or vertically +0.75 (for stems down).

David Stephen Grant
Attachment StraightFlags.png (37K)

Posted by Paolo Tramannoni - 18 Aug 11:19PM
David, thank you for the revised procedure. I would add that your last point could be modified this way:

7. Repeat steps 3-5, but now on the 10th symbol in the stem-up Notes row. In the dialogue boxes you must also click Add, and add symbol 5 in the Notes row, and adjust vertically -0.75 spaces.

7. Repeat steps 3-5, but now on the 10th symbol in the stem-down Notes row. In the dialogue boxes you must adjust vertically +1 spaces, and adjust -0.31 spaces to the left. Then click Add, and add symbol 5 in the (stem-down) Notes row, and adjust vertically +0.75.

These values seem to work nice with me.

Paolo

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Jie Wang, 19 Jan 08:46PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Daniel Spreadbury, 20 Jan 11:48AM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Jim Stanley, 20 Jan 03:56PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Jim Stanley, 20 Jan 04:01PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - David Stephen Grant, 16 Feb 02:38PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Boulez font for Sib. 6.1 - Paolo Tramannoni, 18 Aug 11:19PM