'Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 03 Nov 07:57PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 03 Nov 07:58PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 03 Nov 07:59PM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 03 Nov 08:37PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 06 Nov 12:24PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 07 Nov 10:22AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 10:24AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 09 Nov 01:29PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 06:22PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 09 Nov 07:39PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 09:52PM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 10:00PM
                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 10 Nov 08:01AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 10 Nov 05:10PM
                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 11 Nov 01:51AM
                                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 15 Mar 07:57PM
                                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 15 Mar 08:59PM
                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 16 Mar 04:33AM
                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 16 Mar 08:45PM
                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 16 Mar 11:43PM
                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 18 Mar 05:10AM
                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 18 Mar 12:03PM
                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 18 Mar 05:13PM
                                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Raven, 07 Apr 12:45AM
                                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 07 Apr 09:13AM
                                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Raven, 08 Apr 04:36AM
                                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Martin P. Kellogg, 08 Apr 06:45AM

Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com
Posted by katiebess - 03 Nov 07:57PM
I have just had a look at sibeliusmusic.com and tried listening some pieces on the site. When I tried to listen I was told that a new version of scorch was available and I downloaded this. Now when I try to listento any pieces on the website I get the message that "no sound output device could be found".

I have checked all the connections that I can think of and can find no problems. Windows tells me that the sound system is functioning properly, all other programs that use sound appear to be OK. Sibelius 5.2 also runs and plays sound with no problem.

If I click on the "choose playback" option on scorch nothing is displayed. Prior to downloading the new version of scorch everything appeared to function properly, but I can find no way to go back to an older version of scorch to check this out properly without being told to download the newer version.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com
Posted by katiebess - 03 Nov 07:58PM
Sorry should have said using windows xp and sigmatel audio system

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 03 Nov 07:59PM
Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Sibelius Software in Windows Explorer, or via My Computer. When you get there, delete the 'Scorch' folder, then run your web browser again and have another try.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by katiebess - 03 Nov 08:37PM
Daniel,
Thanks for your quick reply. Have tried that a couple of times now but no joy I'm afraid.
When I did as you suggested and then look at the path
c:\Docs & settings\name\Application data\sibelius software\scorchplayback configurations - the folder is empty. Sorry

Posted by katiebess - 06 Nov 12:24PM
Another thought on this one. I am also running XP with windows SP3.
Is scorch OK with this upgrade?

Thanks

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 07 Nov 10:22AM
Yes, Scorch should be fine on Windows XP SP3. Can you try deleting the 'Scorch' folder altogether?

--

Posted by katiebess - 09 Nov 10:24AM
Tried that a number of times as well as a complete reinstall of Sibelius itself (just in case). Still getting the - No sound output device found - problem. Also reinstalled the sound drivers to no avail.

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 09 Nov 01:29PM
What kind of sound device do you actually have in your computer? (Reinstalling Sibelius won't have any impact on Scorch.)

--

Posted by katiebess - 09 Nov 06:22PM
Daniel,

I have a Sigma Tel integrated sound device. As before everything that uses the sound appears to function correctly apart from the new version of Scorch.

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 09 Nov 07:39PM
Can you play back MIDI files through, say, Windows Media Player?

--

Posted by katiebess - 09 Nov 09:52PM
Yes - no worries there, plays fine through media player

Posted by katiebess - 09 Nov 10:00PM
A bit more info that may (or may not) help.
When I select the 'choose playback device'option, the sounds box appears offering the 'chose which sound out put system option'. That box is empty with no options available.
If I then click on the Audio Engine Options button I get the message "Could not create dialog. The specified resource name cannot be found in the image file".
Not sure if this may be of any help with diagnosing the problem

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 10 Nov 08:01AM
The Audio Engine Options problem is irrelevant (though it shouldn't do that!). The real mystery is why no playback devices appear in Scorch, given that you can play MIDI files through Windows Media Player, and likewise you can presumably get sound in Sibelius if you choose 'General MIDI (basic)' as your playback configuration in Play > Playback Devices?

--

Posted by katiebess - 10 Nov 05:10PM
Daniel,
Thank you for your continuing help with my problem.

In Sibelius itself the playback devices I can select are:

Device Type Sound Set

KontaktPlayer2 Kontakt Sibelius Essentials
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth Midi General Midi

Both devices produce sound when the test button is selected on the playback devices screen and sound is produced when I open any score that is available through Sibelius itself.

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 11 Nov 01:51AM
I'm going to pass this over to my colleagues in tech support to see if they have any other ideas.

--

Posted by Rivan D. Best - 15 Mar 07:57PM
I currently have this problem. Anyone know what is the fix ?

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 15 Mar 08:59PM
If you currently have no playback devices showing in Scorch's Playback Devices dialog, there's good chance that a MIDI driver on your system is causing the problem. Have you ever had any Yamaha or Roland MIDI devices connected to your computer? Can you check that their drivers have been completely removed?

--

Posted by Rivan D. Best - 16 Mar 04:33AM
I had both yamaha and roland midi drivers on my system. But I have removed them on your advice. In fact I have removed all midi drivers from my system, except for the SOUNDMAX device on my mother board, but I still have the same problem. Is there something else I could try ?

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 16 Mar 08:45PM
I'll ask our tech support team if they have any other ideas.

--

Posted by Rivan D. Best - 16 Mar 11:43PM
Here is some additional information. I have 2 computers.

A laptop that runs Windows Vista, and a desktop that runs Windows XP.

They both have the same problem. I do not have Windows 7.

The problem first appeared in year 2009 when I upgraded from an older
Scorch(probably version 5, I can not remember exactly).

I have tried many browsers(IE, Firefox, Netscape, Safari, Google), but
the problem still persists.

I even bought a registry cleaner product to clean up my registry,
but still no luck.

I am playing midi files, mp3 files, wave files with RealPlayer,
Winamp, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and others successfully.

It seems to me that Scorch is unable to hook into Windows Sound Devices like the players I just listed.

Posted by Rivan D. Best - 18 Mar 05:10AM
Here is some more information for you.

I have reverted to Scorch version 4, which I copied from my G7 software
disk, and it is working successfully with web sites that carry older
version of scorch files. But this is to be expected. I wont be able to
play files from SibeliusMusic.com which feature the newer version of
scorch files.

Seems to me, there is a bug in Scorch 6.

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 18 Mar 12:03PM
Our tech support team will be in touch with you about this, Rivan.

--

Posted by Rivan D. Best - 18 Mar 05:13PM
Thank you

Posted by Raven - 07 Apr 12:45AM
Hello! Has anyone ever found a fix for this? I am having the same problem. Windows XP pro SP2. Creative Audigy Sound Card. Sib 5.2.5
Blank device window, then if I click on Audio Engine I get the sound device could not be found message. Scorch worked great before the upgrade. I'm trying to use Scorch with my choral group and would love to have it working again. Thank you.

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 07 Apr 09:13AM
Normally the advice would be to check that you don't have any orphaned MIDI device drivers on your system, e.g. for devices that you may have had connected once upon a time but have since removed from your system. Check Add/Remove Programs.

--

Posted by Raven - 08 Apr 04:36AM
Hi - and thanks for the quick response. I have not got any such drivers that I can find. I checked in add/remove programs and device manager. Nothing there. Is there anywhere else to look? Thanks.

Posted by Martin P. Kellogg - 08 Apr 06:45AM
To see drivers for devices that aren't connected, do the following:

Open a command prompt (start>run>cmd.exe).
Type the following:
DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
DEVMGMT.MSC

In the device manager, select view>show hidden devices.

This will show you all the ghosts that are hanging around.

--
Martin

Sibelius 6.1; Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz, 4 GB RAM (3 GB accessible), WinXP Pro SP3, two monitors, Echo Indigo IOx Express Card audio interface, KeyRig 49 -- year 2010

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 03 Nov 07:57PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 03 Nov 07:58PM
     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 03 Nov 07:59PM
         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 03 Nov 08:37PM
             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 06 Nov 12:24PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 07 Nov 10:22AM
                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 10:24AM
                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 09 Nov 01:29PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 06:22PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 09 Nov 07:39PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 09:52PM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 09 Nov 10:00PM
                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 10 Nov 08:01AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - katiebess, 10 Nov 05:10PM
                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 11 Nov 01:51AM
                                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 15 Mar 07:57PM
                                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 15 Mar 08:59PM
                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 16 Mar 04:33AM
                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 16 Mar 08:45PM
                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 16 Mar 11:43PM
                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 18 Mar 05:10AM
                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 18 Mar 12:03PM
                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Rivan D. Best, 18 Mar 05:13PM
                                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Raven, 07 Apr 12:45AM
                                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Daniel Spreadbury, 07 Apr 09:13AM
                                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Raven, 08 Apr 04:36AM
                                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.1: Scorch & sibeliusmusic.com - Martin P. Kellogg, 08 Apr 06:45AM