'Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without deleting the other notes'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without dele... - Martin, 29 Sep 09:00PM
     Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Louis Sumberg, 29 Sep 09:07PM
         Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 29 Sep 10:41PM
             Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Martin, 29 Sep 11:12PM
                 Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 29 Sep 11:20PM
                     Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Martin, 30 Sep 12:35AM

Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without deleting the other notes
Posted by Martin - 29 Sep 09:00PM
Hello again,

This is a very basic problem, that I'm sure must have a solution. I have been writing music for piano, where several notes are often played together as a chord. If I want to add a note to a particular chord, I select the note from the keypad and then click on the chord to add my new note, but all the other notes get deleted and I have to re-input the whole chord. I'm using ver 5.2.5.

Is there a way around this?

Cheers!

Martin

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without deleting the other
Posted by Louis Sumberg - 29 Sep 09:07PM
One way to add notes to a chord is to select a note in the chord and
then press a number on the keyboard that represents the interval you
want. Pressing 3 adds a note a third above the selected note, pressing
shift-3 adds a note a third below. Pressing shift-letter adds the
lettered note above the selected note. HTH.

-- Louis

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 29 Sep 10:41PM
Louis's advice is sound. You should try to learn some of the quicker and more efficient note input methods than simply clicking in the notes one by one using the mouse. If you're writing piano music, perhaps you have some keyboard skills, in which case you will find step-time input using a MIDI keyboard considerably more efficient than mouse input.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Martin - 29 Sep 11:12PM
Thanks for the tip Daniel - it works!

About using midi, I've tried that using my clavinova, and bringing the midi file over to the PC. The problem is that if I play the music as normal it will be recorded all on one channel. Then when I import the midi, all notes appear on one stave. The only alternative that I found was to record the left and right hand parts seperately on different channels, but this is very awkward and time-consuming.

Is there a way to add a stave to the whole score? Then I could put a bass clef on it and use 'cross staff notes' to move the bass notes over.

Thanks again,

Martin

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 29 Sep 11:20PM
You should try connecting a MIDI keyboard to your computer and using step-time input, not real-time (Flexi-time) input or importing a MIDI file. Step-time is as accurate as mouse input (or more so!) but considerably faster.

If you do import MIDI files from your Clavinova, you may find that creating a new piano instrument in your score and using e.g. Plug-ins > Composing Tools > Explode to redistribute the music onto two staves gives somewhat workable results.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Martin - 30 Sep 12:35AM
Wow, that 'explode' plug-in does exactly what I need! Thanks a lot!!!

I really should connect the piano up, I just need to get around to buying a D-sub to mini DIN cable for it.

Martin

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without dele... - Martin, 29 Sep 09:00PM
     Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Louis Sumberg, 29 Sep 09:07PM
         Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 29 Sep 10:41PM
             Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Martin, 29 Sep 11:12PM
                 Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 29 Sep 11:20PM
                     Re: Sib. 5.x: Adding a note to a chord without ... - Martin, 30 Sep 12:35AM