'Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Glenn, 27 Sep 07:30PM
     Re: Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 27 Sep 08:46PM
     Re: Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Terry Carter, Rural Michigan USA, 27 Sep 09:06PM
         Re: Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Glenn, 27 Sep 10:49PM

Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves
Posted by Glenn - 27 Sep 07:30PM
Hi, I'm using Sibelius 6.0.1. I'm writing a score for marching band, and I need to write in cymbal crashes for a keyboard part (marimba, vibraphone, etc.). I know how to do instrument changes, but I don't want to clutter up the score; I want to be able to simply enter an alt+shift+1 notehead and recieve a cymbal crash sound. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Glenn Dawson

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves
Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 27 Sep 08:46PM
Not directly. Either use an instrument change, or put your cross noteheads in the score, silence them using the 'Play on pass' checkboxes in the Playback panel of Properties, then add an extra cymbals staff, and hide that using Focus on Staves.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Terry Carter, Rural Michigan USA - 27 Sep 09:06PM
You cannot have an unpitched sound emanate from a pitched percussion staff. So you cannot have a player hit a marimba with one stick and a cymbal with the other stick as indicated on one staff.

If you want the player to play either/or, you can do that. You can create an instrument change from a 5-line vibraphone staff to a 5-line drum kit staff with the effect that there will be no difference in the two staves when the page gets printed. It will look as if it is one continuous staff.

Then you can display or hide the text that identifies the instrument change, and you can define the cymbal note as you see fit - as an X notehead if you so choose.

Obviously you need to change back after the cymbal crash.

Posted by Glenn - 27 Sep 10:49PM
Thank you very much!

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Glenn, 27 Sep 07:30PM
     Re: Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 27 Sep 08:46PM
     Re: Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Terry Carter, Rural Michigan USA, 27 Sep 09:06PM
         Re: Sib. 6.0: Cymbal crashes in other staves - Glenn, 27 Sep 10:49PM