'Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a true live performance'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a true... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 04:22PM
     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 05:55PM
         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 06:16PM
             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Francesco, 19 Sep 07:57PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 08:28PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Francesco, 19 Sep 08:45PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 19 Sep 08:51PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 11:33PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 20 Sep 01:58PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 20 Sep 02:30PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Peter Roos, 20 Sep 04:24PM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 20 Sep 05:31PM
                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 21 Sep 03:39AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 21 Sep 09:05AM
                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Laurence Payne, 21 Sep 11:05AM
                                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 21 Sep 12:27PM
                                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Nathan Shirley, 23 Sep 03:23AM
                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 26 Sep 03:32PM
                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Dave Budde, 26 Sep 07:50PM
                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Nathan Shirley, 27 Sep 03:12AM
                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 27 Sep 05:10AM
                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Nathan Shirley, 28 Sep 03:49PM
                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Gulic, 29 Sep 04:34PM
                                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 29 Sep 10:28PM
                                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Gulic, 30 Sep 01:16AM
                                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 30 Sep 03:36AM
                                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Laurence Payne, 30 Sep 09:58AM

Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a true live performance
Posted by maestro2be - 19 Sep 04:22PM
Hi all,

Ok so I have been using Sibelius since version 2 and never have I been able to use real-time input to get my desired results. So before even attempting to make changes to my brand new fresh install of version 6 (as of 5 minutes ago) I would love your input. Here is what I am after.

I am a concert pianist and want to be able to record a live recording in Sibelius at my tempo which changes dynamically on a constant basis. I want to be able to go from playing whole notes to 32-64th notes rapidly and Sibelius to keep up.

I do not care about the notation at all, period. When I want a score I will play the notes in slowly. All I care about is a true rendition of the piece I played in live so that I can apply Vienna Imperial and or Pianoteq against it and have a clean and crisp recording.

The problems that have plagued me from the beginning of time are things such as:

1. It misses notes completely as if I didn't even play them.

2. It misses pedal commands as if I never pushed it down.

3. It prematurely ends the piece on me, and even sometimes decides to go back to the beginning and start over writing the notes there.

4. It speeds up and slows down whenever it feels like it completely destroying my original playing tempo.

Those are the most prominent ones I can think of at the moment. I just tried it on a piece that went from slow to fast and back and forth and it does exactly the same as all the previous versions. So with that said, starting with a completely default setup where shall I begin pros to accomplish this :)?

Here are my stats.

MacBook Pro dual core 2GHZ
2GB RAM
OSX 10.6
Internal soundcard of the MacBook Pro. (I have an RME Multiface 2 but the drivers aren't ready yet for 10.6)
Latency Settings at the moment are 1024 at 44100. To high?
320GB 7200RPM Internal Drive
1TB 7200 Firewire External Drive for samples

Thanks!

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a true live performance
Posted by maestro2be - 19 Sep 05:55PM
I have made 3 changes that seem to be in the right direction. They have made a world of difference but it's still not perfect. I still get a few notes played incorrectly but timing etc was correct at least. Here is what I changed this far on my own.

1. Set sound card latency to 256 (from 1024). Going to go to 128 and test that as this seems to have made an enormous difference.

2. I changed flexi-time input options, felxibility of tempo to "None".

3. I set flexi-time options, notation, and unchecked "adjust rhythms".

So far that is all I have done and it's far better then ever but not 100% yet. I need this to be 100% reliable and trust worthy for a few reasons.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted by maestro2be - 19 Sep 06:16PM
Yet again, it is being completely unpredictable. It has the tendency to just at some point (I have no idea when or why) to just revert back to the first bar right in the middle of me playing. I don't even notice until I am completed with the recording. When I then play it back, the "new" section that it jumped back to is played with a strict 4/4 100 tempo. If I select a phrase a few pages ahead it plays it as I did (correct tempo etc).

This is odd stuff and I sure hope someone can help me rid of this issue as it has been with me for so many years I have lost faith in this products ability to be used by a true performer.

Just be honest, is it wrong for me to think by now this software should be able to keep up with a single piano being played in real-time with all the processing power and resources available today?

Logic Pro, Samplitude, Cubase etc never give me this issue. However I have reasons why I want Sibelius to work for this so I don't have to revert to one of those and keep paying upgrade fees on multiple products. Am I trying to achieve something that Sibelius can't give me?

Posted by Francesco - 19 Sep 07:57PM (edited 19 Sep 08:01PM)
>I do not care about the notation at all, period.
>When I want a score I will play the notes in slowly.
>All I care about is a true rendition of the piece I played in live

I don't want to seem unfriendly (I'm not!), but why don't you use a sequencer?

--
Francesco
---
Sib6.0.1, SSE, GPO, MyOrgan (Litomysl/Antegnati)
Win XP Pro SP3, Intel Core2 Duo E6400, 2.13 GHz,
4GB Ram (OK: 3GB...), SB X-Fi Xtreme Music (working well...:-)

Posted by maestro2be - 19 Sep 08:28PM
I don't take that as unfriendly hehe :). I also hope no one thinks I am a Sibelius smasher because I love the product and owned it since version 2.

I do use a sequencer (Logic Studio). However most of the time that machine is in the studio and it gets old moving them all back and forth. Especially when we're talking about the studio that I travel too. Sometimes I will leave my setup there and work on it for days there but when I am home I want to do some recordings or play in certain parts for orchestrations and songs I am writing. Then I can simply take the midi file to the studio, import it into Logic and done.

All I want is for it to be able to record my performance and play it back as it was played in. Is it not supposed to be able to accomplish that? My other machine at the house is a 4 core PC (not a MAC) so I can't run Logic on it and I don't feel I should have to spend more money to buy another MAC when I should be able to accomplish this small task of recording single midi lines. Nor do I desire learning another sequencer just to record a single track piano line.

However if Sibelius is not capable of this I won't have any choice. It definitely makes writing scores easy and they definitely look better then any other software out there.

Sometimes it works almost perfectly with only a few mistakes, other times it falls apart at the knees. That's why I am hoping perhaps it's just a setup issue since it's probably not by default setup for someone like myself who's throwing 8 zillion notes at it in real time. The only feature that lets me down is this one, the real-time recording flexi-time.

Perhaps though as I said, I am expecting Sibelius to do what it simply can't? Maybe this just isn't what they ever had in mind for Sibelius and if that is so, I just need them to tell me so and that isn't possible. It just seems with all the bells and whistles it has such as rewire mode, live tempo etc that they had making true performances in mind with this software.

Posted by Francesco - 19 Sep 08:45PM
Have you tried REAPER?
It's unexpensive and very good, you can install it on a USB flash device and it works on both PC and MAC...
Ciao dall'Italia!

--
Francesco
---
Sib6.0.1, SSE, GPO, MyOrgan (Litomysl/Antegnati)
Win XP Pro SP3, Intel Core2 Duo E6400, 2.13 GHz,
4GB Ram (OK: 3GB...), SB X-Fi Xtreme Music (working well...:-)

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 19 Sep 08:51PM
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to record your performance and have Sibelius capture all the notes. Sibelius can certainly do this in general: if you were to import a MIDI file with the same combination of settings (particularly 'Adjust rhythms') and then played it back with Play > Live Playback switched on, you'd find that it sounds exactly like the original MIDI file. That's exactly what should happen when you use Flexi-time as well.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
USA & Canada: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 1-888-280-9995
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / +44 (0)20 7561 7997
Australia: helpAU@sibelius.com / 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by maestro2be - 19 Sep 11:33PM
Thanks Daniel. That's what I want to hear and thought. I remember playing back through out the years all the chopin demos and other demos your team offered and thought hell, why can they play back so many notes at once but I can't seem to record a similar song in flexi-time? So that's a good thing to hear.

Any possible ideas as how to clear up the few little mishaps I am still having with the software as far as what might be the best settings for achieving what I am attempting?

I can't seem to really find anything else to change with my limited knowledge of what's best. Nothing is consistent enough for me to find a pattern. I set the latency to 1024, 512, 128 and 64. I get the same results with them all. And I just realized this second what's happening with one of the issues. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to why during my recording it decideds to jump OUT of flexi-time record and goes into regular flexi-time input. That explains why it goes back to the beginning and starts entering "quarter" notes and playing in a blocked 4/4 timing. Is there some setting that says "if he slows down or holds a fermata etc please stop recording and go to bar "1"?

What do you think Daniel? I would love to get this solved once and for all. This new version is so sexy and the score I made earlier for my friend is unbelievable looking. Magnetic layout is my favorite new feature.

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 20 Sep 01:58PM
Does there appear to be any pattern to when Sibelius suddenly exits Flexi-time recording? Is it after a certain number of bars, or a certain amount of time?

--

Posted by maestro2be - 20 Sep 02:30PM
You know I just woke up, and said ok today we figure this out once and for all. I noticed you responded and thought to myself, hmm it's hard to know because I am in the middle of concentrating and recording. Then I realized that each time it happened, it always ended up going back to the beginning, and then somehow "flexi-input" notes for 6-7 pages. Consistently.

So I decided to go back into flexi-time options incase there's something we're missing and viola, it says right there "record 100 bars maximum". That has to be the issue with that and that would explain why it stops and goes back to the beggining. So I set it to maximum of 10 bars and recorded a little passage watching it as it got to the end and viola, it stopped, returned to bar 1 and started entering quarter notes. So that explains the issue with that. I will set it to 500 bars or something ridiculously high and never have an issue again with that.

However, we still have the issue of performance. Sometimes dropping a note, sometimes it will literally drop my pedal command right in the middle of it (I will be holding it down and it will suddenly just send a cc127 command to turn off cc64). Sometimes it blocks two notes together that I played arpeggio. It's only a few per piece so with your help we should be able to end this issue once and for all I hope.

I am not quite sure yet if it's an overload but while recording I haven't been able to watch the CPU meters etc. I am going to put the monitor on my piano and record and just blast Sibelius with pedal commands and mashing keys to see if I can get it to happen and maybe the CPU is spiking or something of the sort.

Still, any ideas as to what settings are best for "performance" would be helpful. Although even as they are at maximum defaults, it's keeping up with me entirely while playing 64-128th notes with only a few minor issues. I will keep playing with this, if you think of anything please let me know.

Thanks.

Posted by Peter Roos - 20 Sep 04:24PM
What is your latency in milliseconds, and when you play / record, do you use any sounds built into your keyboard or do you listen to any of the built in piano sounds of Sibelius or any of your external piano VSTs?

One thing I noticed is that you are using the internal soundcard (pending the release of drivers for the RME) which are usually not the highest professional quality with low latency. This may not be an issue but if you want to record yourself with the highest degree of accuracy and you are a concert pianist then any significant latency would drive you insane.

--
Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 20 Sep 05:31PM
I wouldn't have thought that latency would account for arpeggiated notes getting missed or the sustain pedal being dropped. What kind of keyboard are you using? Does it support channel aftertouch messages (these have been known to cause problems at times on some Mac computers)?

--

Posted by maestro2be - 21 Sep 03:39AM
Hi Peter,

I actually have used this internal card for many years on many different software insturments, versions of Logic and versions of OS X. It's incredibly stable and good. Latency isn't an issue as I am able to get 64 and 128 in Pianoteq standalone and 128 with Logic Pro. I can do over 50 sampled instrument tracks at one time without glitch in Logic 9 and Snow leopard 10.6. That's impressive numbers for an internal card.

As far as my RME, I have had RME for almost 8 years and this problem has always been there. So the RME never helped solve the issue. I will admit I miss its routing and advanced features and it don't matter if people believe it or not, the digital outs on it do sound superior to my MAC. I get migraines from this internal cards digital output on my Lavry DAC. I never get fatigue on my RME. I tested this extensively a few years ago with Apogee, RME and Lavry convertors.

Hi Daniel. I have two Keyboards. My primary piano is a Technics PCM Digital Ensemble PR303. I also own an Axiom 25. For what it's worth, this does not happen when I use any other application or DAW. I have been using this digital piano for almost 13 years and only in Sibelius has it ever been an issue (and I have tested it on OS X and Windows). I even tested this at my friends house who is a concert pianist and writes operas (all of his music actually since I got him using the product 4 years ago). He also cannot input through Live Flexi-time input. It simply cannot keep up with the playing. And he has totally different equipment (Apogee Rosetta with Firewire card and Windows XP). He has a Roland Digital Piano.

I had to set him up with Samplitude just to be able to record trust worthy midi files. I think we could be onto something Daniel and if we could figure this out, would put this application in another category for true live performers. I have personally recommended this software to many people over the years, (and most of my professional friends) if we could only resolve this one feature that all of us have been trying to use for years but haven't bothered complaining or inquiring about it. Did I mention our opera house uses it as well :). Now I could play in accompaniments for them if we get this fixed :) (I can send them a midi file from logic but still hehe I love the way Sibelius looks so I try to use it once a day :P).

I am sorry I don't know what "after touch" is. I opened up activity monitor and watched my CPU during a performance and it was really high (going over 90%) at 64-128 latency. I dropped the latency to 512 and it was in the 60-70% but even still sometimes hit 80-90% at times. Once I set it to 1024 it was getting around 50% CPU. However it was still making mistakes.

I turned off "follow line during recording" and Reverb etc as well as other features like that to free up resources but it didn't help. I turned off all network connections, wireless and Ethernet, screen savers and energy saver mode. I also made sure to not run any other applications while using Sibelius.

I have tried using Pianoteq as a plug-in, I have tried Sibelius Sound Essentials GPO Lite Piano and VSL Bosendorfer (the VSL plug-in hosts the samples remotely so it frees up most of the CPU on the machine and it still does it). I have tried G-Player with my Gigastudio piano and it's the same too. All the same results.

Ok that's enough typing for now lol. Time for bed. I will be back on this tomorrow. Thanks for assisting and look forward to solving this finally.

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 21 Sep 09:05AM
Aftertouch is a feature on some MIDI controller keyboards (including the Axiom Pro, and possibly your Technics piano) that allows you to change the decay portion of a note by pressing the key down extra hard; you'll find that the key has a bit of extra travel beyond the level to which it would normally be depressed. Sibelius on Mac doesn't cope very well with these messages at present, and that can cause subsequent notes to go missing, but this bug will be fixed in future.

It is possible that you are too virtuosic for Sibelius to keep up with you. I'd be interested to receive a MIDI file from you (recorded into Logic) that is indicative of the kind of music you're playing.

--

Posted by Laurence Payne - 21 Sep 11:05AM
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:05:35, "Daniel at Sibelius"
<daniel.spreadbury@avid.com> wrote:

>Aftertouch is a feature on some MIDI controller keyboards (including the Axiom
>Pro, and possibly your Technics piano) that allows you to change the decay portion
>of a note by pressing the key down extra hard; you'll find that the key has a
>bit of extra travel beyond the level to which it would normally be depressed.
>Sibelius on Mac doesn't cope very well with these messages at present, and that
>can cause subsequent notes to go missing, but this bug will be fixed in future.
>
>
>It is possible that you are too virtuosic for Sibelius to keep up with you.

I've never found keyboards with aftertouch to feel any different to
ones without.

Aftertouch, like any MIDI controller, can theoretically be patched to
any function of a synth or sampler. Typically it controls vibrato.
Sometimes pitchbend. I don't think I've ever seen it used to control
decay.

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 21 Sep 12:27PM
My use of the word "decay" was imprecise, for which I apologise: what I mean to say is that it can be used to affect the sound of the note after its initial attack, indeed for things like modulation.

--

Posted by Nathan Shirley - 23 Sep 03:23AM
I think I have solved this problem. I also noticed this issue with an earlier version, upgraded, and found it the same. So after reading this thread I decided to try a few new ideas, and one works.

The issue seems to be the 'resolution' of midi. So, if you start with a tempo of quarter note = 100, the casual user will not notice any problems when recording music. However, if you play fast enough problems pop up all over the place. The easiest way to test this is to record in a trill, start the trill slowly and gradually build speed. If you execute this trill fairly well, and play it back, you will see it starts okay, and gets off as the speed increases.

So, the problem is that with 100 beats per minute, it only gives x number of subdivisions to each beat. But you can get a much higher resolution, simply increase the beats per minute. The maximum seems to be 999, I tried that and it works great. But you will quickly run out of measures, so in the flexi-time options increase the total bars to its maximum (again 999 I think). If you still need more, change the time signature from 4/4 to 126/4 (again the maximum). This will give you the highest MIDI resolution possible (as far as I can tell). One thing to note, if you do this, make sure you also change the default of 1 introductory bar to 0, when recording in flexi time. Also you might want to switch to panorama mode for viewing.

If you don't believe me, try this- set the intro recording number of bars to 0, then change the tempo to the minimum, 4 beats per minute. Now try to record in a trill and see what happens! Even if you aren't a pianist you'll see how bad it is.

Hope this solves your problem, and thanks for starting the thread so I could finally figure this out for myself!

Posted by maestro2be - 26 Sep 03:32PM
Hi Nathan,

I just had the chance to try this last night and no avail. I set them all to 999, 500, 250 etc. I tried, tried and tried again. It still does it, even during slow passages. It will drop pedal commands and notes and combine notes that were played at different times and play them as chords.

I just don't think this software as much as I love it, it up to the par of playing in a live part. I just don't trust it and I can't afford to have a performance lost to something this annoying. I am going to have to find another solution until Sibelius figures out what this issue is as it's been an issue since I have used it in version 2.

Sure hope they get it resolved. Thanks for your input. I contacted Pianoteq and they informed me that their software interface has a midi record function (just one stereo file). I tried it and it was flawless after many repeated attempts. I am going to use that and also put in a cheap soundcard on my slave machine and install my copy of Samplitude SE on it for this purpose. However as I said, would be nice to see Sibelius resolve this one day.

Maestro2be

--
Macbook Pro 2GHZ, 2GB RAM OS X 10.5.8
Dual Opteron 290, 16GB RAM, XP64 Slave machine for Samples
Sibelius 6, Logic 8.0.2 and Logic 9
RME Multiface 2
Lavry DA10 DAC
Axiom 25 and Technics Digital Piano

Posted by Dave Budde - 26 Sep 07:50PM
I don't have a lot of experience with flexi-time input but I didn't see any mention of the settings in the Input Devices preferences dialog. Do you have "Use low-latency MIDI input" switched off? This is recommended if you are having problems with flexi-time recording.

--
Macbook Air 2GB RAM|OS X 10.6.latest|Sibelius 6|Logic Studio 9

Posted by Nathan Shirley - 27 Sep 03:12AM
That's very strange, I thought for sure this would work for you as it finally did for me, and trust me, I'm playing in some fast music! (I've even detected the top rhythmical resolution of my wooden key Kawai keyboard, which is a bit disappointing, but certainly not a noticeably issue %99.9 of the time. The sounds and feel of the keyboard are MUCH bigger problems, even though it's the best keyboard feel out there).

But the problems you are still reporting sound VERY noticeable. Are you sure you have 'live playback' turned on?? From what you say, it sounds like live playback is disabled.

At any rate, glad you found a usable substitute, as my workaround is a bit of a pain (but as far as I can tell it is a midi issue and not so much a sibelius issue, though I suppose they could still adjust for it).

Posted by maestro2be - 27 Sep 05:10AM
Hi Dave,

Yes I also tried using the low latency midi input unchecked. I noticed that in the preferences window a little while back but when it didn't fix it, I turned it back on.

I just rebuilt my entire laptop with a clean leopard install of 10.5.8 because unfortunately 10.6 isn't ready for prime time for me, plus I lose my Hammerfall DSP Multiface 2. The system is already working better then it has in a long time. I am going to try this again tomorrow with this clean install, and my RME card to see if I can get better results. I am glad it's working for you though. At least no matter what I have definite work arounds.

I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks!

Maestro2be

--
Dual Opteron 290, 16GB RAM, XP64 Slave Machine
RME Multiface 2
Lavry DA10 DAC

Posted by Nathan Shirley - 28 Sep 03:49PM
I am running XP, so maybe this is a Mac issue?

~Nathan

Posted by Gulic - 29 Sep 04:34PM
I have the same issues as maestro2be - Sibelius misses notes during a live recording.

I also use a Mac. Tempo never exceeds 100. The keyboard - M-Audio Ozone Academic.

I did not find any other suitable solution to the problem besides - manual editing or playing the parts in e.g. Logic and then rewriting notes in the score (MANUALLY of course - no copy/paste).

Can anyone in Sibelius clarify - is this problem and other problems observed only with the Mac OSX version of Sibelius?

Will switching to Windows XP Pro fix it? (The words - 'probably/maybe' are not accepted.

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 29 Sep 10:28PM
As I wrote earlier in this thread, there was a known problem in versions of Sibelius up to and including Sibelius 6.0.3 whereby keyboards that supported channel aftertouch could cause peculiar results during Flexi-time input on Mac, which sounds like it could account for the behaviour you have seen, Gulic. You should try Sibelius 6.1, in which this particular problem is fixed, and see whether that helps.

However, if you are also experiencing other problems with your Ozone keyboard in programs other than Sibelius, as you have indicated in other posts you have made, I'm afraid I cannot make any particular recommendations about your specific situation with any certainty.

--

Posted by Gulic - 30 Sep 01:16AM (edited 30 Sep 01:24AM)
Daniel wrote: "...I'm afraid I cannot make any particular recommendations about your specific situation with any certainty."
======================================================
Thanks, Daniel. I really mean it.

I won't comment your reply because now it became pretty clear for me what to do in my situation.

Of course, I would be happy if Sibelius would fix what I need, but...

Anyway, thank you again for your honest effort. I understand - not everything in your power..., but maybe one day it will be...

Good luck to you, Daniel.

Regards,

Gulic.

P.S. I guess in this situation you do not need to see my scores anymore...

Posted by maestro2be - 30 Sep 03:36AM
Gulic,

I am not ready to give up. I own 5 machines in this house. I am going to install Sibelius on a 4 core 3GHZ machine with 16GB or RAM running windows. I am also going to run a few more tests on my MAC. I will post back my results. If anyone else thinks of anything else, or some other settings maybe we can all pin point this.

I dont think mine has anything to do with channel aftertouch because the digital piano is 15 years old. Was that technology even on digital pianos that old?

I will report back my findings.

Maestro2be

--
Dual Opteron 290, 16GB RAM, XP64 Slave Machine
RME Multiface 2
Lavry DA10 DAC

Posted by Laurence Payne - 30 Sep 09:58AM
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 03:36:14, "maestro2be" <cgernaey@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I dont think mine has anything to do with channel aftertouch because the digital
>piano is 15 years old. Was that technology even on digital pianos that old?

The ubiquitous Yamaha DX7 had it in 1973. It's been common on all
but the cheapest synthesizer keyboards ever since. There's no need
for aftertouch on an instrument that is purely used as a piano. But
if yours also offers synth sounds it may well have the feature.

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a true... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 04:22PM
     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 05:55PM
         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 06:16PM
             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Francesco, 19 Sep 07:57PM
                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 08:28PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Francesco, 19 Sep 08:45PM
                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 19 Sep 08:51PM
                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 19 Sep 11:33PM
                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 20 Sep 01:58PM
                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 20 Sep 02:30PM
                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Peter Roos, 20 Sep 04:24PM
                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 20 Sep 05:31PM
                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 21 Sep 03:39AM
                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 21 Sep 09:05AM
                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Laurence Payne, 21 Sep 11:05AM
                                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 21 Sep 12:27PM
                                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Nathan Shirley, 23 Sep 03:23AM
                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 26 Sep 03:32PM
                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Dave Budde, 26 Sep 07:50PM
                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Nathan Shirley, 27 Sep 03:12AM
                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 27 Sep 05:10AM
                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Nathan Shirley, 28 Sep 03:49PM
                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Gulic, 29 Sep 04:34PM
                                                                                         Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 29 Sep 10:28PM
                                                                                             Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Gulic, 30 Sep 01:16AM
                                                                                                 Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - maestro2be, 30 Sep 03:36AM
                                                                                                     Re: Sib. 6.0: Best settings for recording in a ... - Laurence Payne, 30 Sep 09:58AM