'Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Thomas K., 27 Jul 04:52AM
     Re: Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Marc E. Schonbrun, 27 Jul 05:35AM
         Re: Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Peter Roos, 27 Jul 02:13PM
             Re: Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 28 Jul 12:06AM

Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius
Posted by Thomas K. - 27 Jul 04:52AM (edited 27 Jul 04:59AM)
I just recently got EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP. I've installed it and done a bit of messing around with it in the supplied Kompakt Player. However, now I need to actually implement it with Sibelius. I've made minimal progress.

I've gotten the plug-ins loaded up so Sib recognizes the four new VSTs (Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion are all considered seperate VSTs). However, the problem now is actually getting them into the score. I've looked up what I can in the manual, but it hasn't been much help thus far (unless I've checked the wrong places). Anyways, I've gotten some to work but here some starting problems that I've encountered:

1. The big one that seems to be restricting me is the inability to manually change the channels for each staff in the mixer. They all get set automatically, but this only creates problems. For example, the first three staffs in my scores are Piccolo, Flute 1, Flute 2. I open up Kompakt from the mixer and load the sounds in Kompakt. The attached "Figure1" picture shows what Kompakt looks like. I can load eight sounds into a single instance. In the first slot (Channel 1) I have a piccolo keyswitch sound loaded. In the second slot (Channel 2) I have a flute keyswitch loaded. However, these two slots DO NOT correspond with how they're set up in the Sibelius score. Sibelius oddly set the very first staff (piccolo) to channel 5 (although the picture doesn't show this, when I play that is what happens). The later staffs follow similar randomness. Flute 1 is Ch.1, Flute 2 is Ch.3, the next staff is Ch.6... it makes no sense. Of course, when I put notes in the proper range on the Flute 1 staff (which happens to have gotten assigned Ch.1) I get piccolo sounds. I could just load the sounds in Kompakt into the channels as designated by Sib, but then it's out of order in Kompakt and everything is just more confusing for me. How come I can't just manually change the channel in Sib.? In addition to this, it's impossible for me to assign to staffs to the same channel if I want them to share a sound.

2. EWQLSO happens to work with Kontakt, though it comes installed with Kompakt. However, I don't know how to integrate EWQLSO with Kontakt, which I believe would be more ideal since Kontakt allows 16 slots (Kompakt only allows 8).

3. How do I get commands to make the instruments switch sounds? By this I mean how do I set it up so that if I write "flutter-tongue" on a flute staff, the flute will switch to the flutter tongue sound?

4. Would it be beneficial for me to figure out how to use the Sound Set Editor I do whatever I would need to do with that with EWQLSO?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius
Posted by Marc E. Schonbrun - 27 Jul 05:35AM
Number 4 it is. You'll have to create a complete sound set for the things you wish to do.
For now, you'll find that making a manual sound set will allow you to set channels from the mixer and get some playback happening. To get text in your score to be recognized in EWQSO, you'll need that sound set, I'm afraid.

Marc

--
Marc E. Schonbrun, Author of Mastering Sibelius 5
Sibelius Ambassador—New York/Eastern Region
Mac Pro 8-core 3.2GHz, 12GB RAM, 10.5.4
MacBook Pro 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 10.5.4
www.marcschonbrun.com

Posted by Peter Roos - 27 Jul 02:13PM
Hi Thomas:

Yes, option no. 4 is the best - I have been fiddling with this for months now using alternatives such as manual sound sets, but the results are never fully satisfactory (e.g. there is no way to use keyswitched instruments to go from eg legato to pizzicato and back in strings, hairpins are not played back correctly, et cetera).

You can assign instruments in Kontakt (the full Kontakt 2 or 3, not kontaktplayer 2 which is a more limited edition) by creating "multis" in Kontakt and then creating a manual soundset by assigning different instruments / Sound IDs to different channels and save that as a configuration (eg give it the same name as your score and save it), and then create a multi in Kontakt with the corresponding instruments. That will get the instrument loading, even automatically (although not always - I usually check whether the correct instruments are loaded).

If all goes well then next week I will be getting my own Play version of EWQLSO platinum as well as my newly upgraded computer, and I will be getting back to creating a soundset - has been a pet project for some time now. There are several other users here who try to get their EW libraries to work with Sibelius, we'll get it down eventually.

Peter

--
Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com

Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 28 Jul 12:06AM
Before you write your own sound set, do read 'Using a multi-channel
virtual instrument without a sound set' in 'Working with virtual
instruments' in Help > Sibelius Reference, which explains the principles
of how to set up a manual sound set and then adjust the channels used by
each staff in the score using the Mixer.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
North/Central/South America: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 925-280-2101
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / 020 7561 7997
Australia: sibhelpAU@sibelius.com
Other countries: contact your distributor (www.sibelius.com/buy for details)

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Thomas K., 27 Jul 04:52AM
     Re: Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Marc E. Schonbrun, 27 Jul 05:35AM
         Re: Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Peter Roos, 27 Jul 02:13PM
             Re: Sib. 5.2: Making EWQLSO work with Sibelius - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 28 Jul 12:06AM