'Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen?'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Eliot Glaser, 02 Jun 05:38PM
     Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Brian, 03 Jun 11:05AM
         Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Mary Elizabeth, 03 Jun 11:54AM
             Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Victor Garcia Pichardo, 03 Jun 09:00PM
                 Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Laurence Payne, 03 Jun 09:38PM
                     Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Brian, 04 Jun 10:24AM
                 Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Mary Elizabeth, 04 Jun 12:15PM
                     Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Victor Garcia Pichardo, 04 Jun 11:12PM
                         Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Laurence Payne, 04 Jun 11:34PM

Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen?
Posted by Eliot Glaser - 02 Jun 05:38PM
Any folks out there with experience using Sibelius on a touch screen or tablet computer? Is it a productive way to use Sibelius? Suggestions for hardware?

--
Eliot Glaser, composer/performer, www.eliotglaser.com

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen?
Posted by Brian - 03 Jun 11:05AM
I bought a Fujitsu ST5030 specifically for this purpose. You want a pen based tablet as your finger is a lousy pointing device for detailed work.

Tablet Pc's come in two styles, convertible and slate. The ST5030/32 and its Vista replacement the ST5112 are the best slate tablets around. But you have to go without a keyboard and that's a big issue I'll elaborate more on in a minute.
Convertible Tablets generally have much better performance and connectivity. Unfortunatly most convertible tablets now are 12.1 inches if you can get a screen resolution greater than 1024x768 and size around 14" you'll be happy.

the next thing to consider is how good do you want it to sound. If you install ASIO4ALL on your tablet and select it under Sounds>Playback Devices you can greatly increase your Performance and sound quality. The included sibelius sound essentials work really well... however they fail to inspire me so I upgraded the ram on mine to 2GB, the HardDrive to 100GB 7200 Rpm and loaded some professional sample libraries onto the sucker. Oh man did it come alive. And it was a true pleasure to have those sounds coming from my pen writing on the screen. If that's you're goal I highly recommend the Vienna Special Edition Library as they have a soundset for it.

LINK: http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/371/243.vsl look for Sibelius 5 & Vienna Ensemble (NEW) video.

I also went hog wild and bought and EchoAudio AudioFire4.

Problems. You need a keyboard. You really need a keyboard. The screen is just too small and there's too many menu's. Also if you want to type lyrics, handwriting recognition is good but it's not quick. I solved this problem (mostly) by writing a program. It hovers over Sibelius and you tap buttons to do common tasks in Sibelius. Like.... deleting, copy and paste, repeating a selected passage, or moving it up and down. these simple tasks become arduous without a keyboard.

Vista has much better tablet features then XP. Sibelius 5 is already a bit slow Vista really doesn't help that.

Tablets get heavy, even a light one gets hot and heavy eventually, and putting flat on a table is a little awkward. it should be tilted toward you a bit.

All in all after all the work and money I put in to mine I notice that I just don't use it, the hassle involved ended up overshadowing the joy and fun. I suppose if I traveled more it could be more of a tool than a novelty. But it's been sitting untouched for months.

I hope that helps if you have any other questions and want clarification feel free to post again.

Recommendations:
Lenovo x61 Tablet with 1400x1050 screen $1600-2200
or
Fujitsu ST5112 $2600
Vienna Special Edition $500
ASIO4ALL Free!
or
EchoAudio Audiofire 4 $300

Or see what you can get used.

-Brian

Posted by Mary Elizabeth - 03 Jun 11:54AM
You may also wish to look here:

http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

I have an Intuos tablet that I use with Sibelius (not a tablet PC: I have a Mac) - and Cintiq is an "interactive pen display."

Hope this helps,
ME

--
Sib 5.2; Mac 10.4.11; G5 1.8 dual, 3 GB RAM
Music Education Materials
www.lulu.com/patternsforlearning/

Posted by Victor Garcia Pichardo - 03 Jun 09:00PM
> I have an Intuos tablet that I use with Sibelius

I don't mean to hijack the discussion, but I've always wondered about the Wacom tablets. What's your experience been? Is it more comfortable/easier than the mouse?

--
Victor Garcia Pichardo
Sib 5.2.0 build 188, Mac OS 10.4.11, MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM

Posted by Laurence Payne - 03 Jun 09:38PM
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:00:18, "Victor Garcia Pichardo"
<vgarciapichardo@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't mean to hijack the discussion, but I've always wondered about the Wacom
>tablets. What's your experience been? Is it more comfortable/easier than the mouse?

I've dabbled with various mouse-substitutes. There's definitely a
place for tablets if you do graphic design. But for other
applications I come back to the mouse - it just seems to do the job
best, especially with judicious sensitivity and acceleration settings.

Posted by Brian - 04 Jun 10:24AM
Judicious?! Naw, crank that baby all the way up and take an hour to acclimate.

Posted by Mary Elizabeth - 04 Jun 12:15PM
> > I have an Intuos tablet that I use with Sibelius
>
> I don't mean to hijack the discussion, but I've always wondered about the Wacom tablets. What's your experience been? Is it more comfortable/easier than the mouse?

Hi Victor,

I originally purchased the Intuos because the mouse was causing me wrist pain, which the tablet doesn't. With Sibelius, I use it in combination with alphabetic input. I keep the tablet on my lap, and lean over it to the keyboard to go back and forth. There is a Wacom mouse - (it's a two-button mouse with a scroll that's also a mouse) and a stylus, and I prefer the stylus.

I have the 6" x 8", which has 8 programmable buttons and two scroll bars, each of which can be individually set (there's also a button on the stylus), and when I'm using the tablet, I keep my left thumb over the left-hand set of buttons, which I program to the task at hand, usually copy and paste and delete, if there is no other special need, while the stylus button I use for Cmnd or Ctrl, depending.

Even though the Intuos tablets may be thought of primarily as graphics-friendly (I use it for that, too), I have found it to be a reasonable substitute for the Intellimouse I can no longer use. Picking up and putting down the stylus is about equivalent to picking up and putting down the mouse.

I would not recommend the less expensive Wacom models that have fewer or no buttons for use with Sibelius - I think that the buttons and scroll make a big difference.

I haven't used the handwriting recognition software enough to comment on it. And I did parlay the Photoshop Elements that came with the tablet into Photoshop and then into CS3, so that was another plus ;^) - and I mention it here because I use Acrobat Professional, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign in concert with Sibelius, depending on the project.

Hope this helps,
ME

--
Sib 5.2; Mac 10.4.11; G5 1.8 dual, 3 GB RAM
Music Education Materials
www.lulu.com/patternsforlearning/

Posted by Victor Garcia Pichardo - 04 Jun 11:12PM
Thanks to both Laurence and Mary Elizabeth for the info, both replies shed some light on my questions.

ME, you mention something that is of much interest to me, because I've been having some problems with my hands and the mouse, so I will definitely take that into consideration.

Thanks!

--
Victor Garcia Pichardo
Sib 5.2.0 build 188, Mac OS 10.4.11, MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM

Posted by Laurence Payne - 04 Jun 11:34PM
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:12:58, "Victor Garcia Pichardo"
<vgarciapichardo@gmail.com> wrote:

>ME, you mention something that is of much interest to me, because I've been having
>some problems with my hands and the mouse, so I will definitely take that into
>consideration.

I find the best cure for a tired or strained hand is to simply decide
to use the other one for mousing for a time. Yes, I know you'll maybe
have to set things up differently. But isn't the whole point you WANT
to do it differently?

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Eliot Glaser, 02 Jun 05:38PM
     Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Brian, 03 Jun 11:05AM
         Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Mary Elizabeth, 03 Jun 11:54AM
             Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Victor Garcia Pichardo, 03 Jun 09:00PM
                 Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Laurence Payne, 03 Jun 09:38PM
                     Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Brian, 04 Jun 10:24AM
                 Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Mary Elizabeth, 04 Jun 12:15PM
                     Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Victor Garcia Pichardo, 04 Jun 11:12PM
                         Re: Sib. 5.2: Any sugestions for touch screen? - Laurence Payne, 04 Jun 11:34PM