'Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Heidi Angier, 06 Apr 02:28PM
     Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Daniel Spreadbury, 07 Apr 12:51AM
         Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Wayne Pommer, 07 Apr 05:57AM
         Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Heidi Angier, 09 Apr 01:20AM
             Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Daniel Spreadbury, 09 Apr 03:35PM

Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard
Posted by Heidi Angier - 06 Apr 02:28PM
I am a first time Sibelius user struggling with setup issues despite many attempts at self-help. I understand that an ASIO driver is required for MIDI input to resolve unworkable latency during keyboard input in flexi-time. Unfortunately all my attempts to do this are failing in spectacular fashion.

- Sibelius always hangs on exit. Changing compatibilty to 'run as admin' only raises an annoying user control check on launch while the problem persists. The ghosted Sibelius process is unresponsive to task manager 'end process', only a system re-start works.

- Sibelius crashes when I select the M-Audio ASIO driver under the audio engines options. Dialog box is labeled "M-Audio FW ASIO driver" and reads "ASIO sample rate is not supported by one of the USB interfaces! Please check your synch settings in Control Panel". There are no synch settings or partnerships in Control Panel listed, so system restart (as above).

- No amount of system re-starting and alternative bandwidth, bit depth, sample rate combinations in the M-Audio Control Panel seem to make any difference in the behaviors above. I have un-installed/re-installed M-Audio with the latest drivers, no improvement.

- I have un-installed/re-installed Sibelius 5.0, without improvement. I attempted to install the 5.1 Sibelius download, which also failed, and I understand I need to order a CD and wait weeks for an actual CD to fix the 5.1 download failure. Not sure why 5.1 was not shipped in the first place.

Like others in the forums I am having playback issues on Kontact2 but I have seen that changing the buffer does improve things, although with the input latency problems I am having I am not sure this remedy will be workable in the end. I would like to MIDI input from my keyboard and also playback with decent fidelity, low latency.

Currently I am simply trying to score piano and voice and I am very eager to get some help and begin composing and playback, rather than engineering. Any support very much appreciated, even on a Sunday!

Cheers,

Heidi
GTCL/LTCL '90

Vista Home Premium on HP Dual Core 5600+, 2.4 GHTz, 2GB RAM
Casio Previa PX-120
M-Audio BX5a Reference Monitors
M-Audio Fast Track Pro (3/11/2008 driver v5.10.00.5119)
Sibelius 5.0 (v5.0.0, build 31)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard
Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 07 Apr 12:51AM
Heidi, it does sound to me as if following the procedure here will help you:

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=384224&groupid=3#384245

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
North/Central/South America: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 925-280-2101
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / 020 7561 7997
Australia: sibhelpAU@sibelius.com
Other countries: contact your distributor (www.sibelius.com/buy for details)

Posted by Wayne Pommer - 07 Apr 05:57AM
Perhaps the crash on exit problem might be eliminated if you check "safely remove hardware" on your midi keyboard before shutting down. Works for me. Otherwise my computer endlessly restarts. When you fire up the computer again, the hardware reinstalls itself when you plug your keyboard back in.
:>) Wayne
--
Sib 5.1, Vista-32, Intel Core2 Quad, 2.4GHz, 3.3GB RAM,Oxygen 8 (old) Kbd. Formerly used Sib 3.

Posted by Heidi Angier - 09 Apr 01:20AM
Been there, done that.

Once you change the registry key the device is disabled, not only on SIbelius at exit but always in Sibelius, so the objective of actually using the M-Audio device is not met - Sibelius exits properly but you're set back to no audio device. Alternatively if you go into Sibelius and re-enable M-Audio, the registry key is reset and Sibelius hangs on exit. Basically a catch-22.

There must be others with my general configuration (Vista/M-Audio/MIDI keyboard) who are attempting MIDI input to capture their rough compositions 'by feel' with flexi-time, prior to working up the piece properly. I'd like to know how they are doing it.

If this is not the case then I've made a terrible mistake. It is very frustrating to be working two feet away on the grand piano with a pencil in my mouth, simply because that works while the 'award-winning software' does not.

Further suggestions welcomed.

-Heidi

Posted by Daniel Spreadbury - 09 Apr 03:35PM
Well, I'm personally achieving this by plugging in a USB-only MIDI
keyboard directly into my computer, not via the MIDI ports on my
Audiophile Firewire, so that my Firewire device is only providing audio
output, not MIDI input.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help:
North/Central/South America: sibhelpUSA@sibelius.com / 925-280-2101
UK: sibhelpUK@sibelius.com / 020 7561 7997
Australia: sibhelpAU@sibelius.com
Other countries: contact your distributor (www.sibelius.com/buy for details)

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Heidi Angier, 06 Apr 02:28PM
     Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Daniel Spreadbury, 07 Apr 12:51AM
         Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Wayne Pommer, 07 Apr 05:57AM
         Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Heidi Angier, 09 Apr 01:20AM
             Re: Sib. 5.0: Latency issues on MIDI keyboard - Daniel Spreadbury, 09 Apr 03:35PM